Seeking testers for 'Submarine Sabotage' - Testers found

I have written a small game for PunyJam #3 and am now seeking some beta testers.

Under the rules of the jam, the game must start at or in an airlock. My game is essentially a mystery set aboard a top secret submarine. The title ‘Submarine Sabotage’ should give you a hint as to the premise behind the game, but I can’t tell you any more than that.

I would consider it a really old-school game. You can get killed in a number of ways if you ignore the hints or do something stupid, but it does have UNDO. It’s a parser-based game written in Inform 6 using the PunyInform library, so you will need a Z-code interpreter to play it (at least for the testing).

If interested in giving it a burl, send me a DM and I’ll send you the download URL and password. I know that January/February is the new peak period for game authoring and testing with SeedComp, PunyJam and Spring Thing, so everybody’s busy, but if you can squeeze in a couple of hours, it would be much appreciated. I will try to return the favour.

P.S. Submissions are due on 26 February, so feedback will be needed by (say) 24 February. Sorry for the short notice, but it’s only a three-week jam.

P.P.S. I’m in Australia, so don’t panic if I don’t get back to you straight away. It’s just the time zone difference.

3 Likes

This sounds like an amazing game idea but I can’t guarantee I’ll be able to test it in time. I really love submarines, though!

1 Like

Apologies for replying when I don’t have time to test this right now, but I wanted to thank you for reminding me of the phrase, ‘Give it a burl.’ I haven’t said it for years.

-Wade

2 Likes

As soon as I clicked Submit, I had this horrible thought that non-Aussies may not know what I’m talking about. You’re an Aussie, so you know.

2 Likes

I am interested, might play in the free time, however, for the best results, i would like to see the source code, and can it run on frotz?

Someone can confirm but I don’t think an author is allowed to share source code before a jam/competition…?

1 Like

I have enough testers. You don’t need the source code to test it. If you get desperate, I can supply a map and walkthrough, but using a walkthrough is not testing it.

I don’t mind sharing the source code for a finished game (in fact, I must do this in due course, anyway), but I wouldn’t want to share it for an unfinished game.

It can run on any Z-code interpreter that supports z5 files, including Frotz and Windows Frotz. I can also supply a z3 file for old interpreters. I compile for both as a matter of course.

3 Likes

i wanted the source code to see all that you can do and see if it works properly, instead of trying to figure out and possibly leave a feature untested, but it’s ok