Scroll Thief full release

New release with one very slight change: a note explaining how the hidden prompt works the first time one appears. Probably not worth downloading this one if you already have the previous version.

Another version at the same link. This fixes the bugs Emily reported in the Variomatic thread, including a deep-seated problem in Disambiguation Control by Jon Ingold. Hopefully nothing else broke subtly in the process…I’m always nervous about fiddling in the I6 parser internals.

Only a few minor ones this time.

[spoiler]Trying to leave after getting some spells into your spell book but before tripping the alarm results in you still getting “You don’t want to leave without something for your efforts.” Probably the message should change once you have at least one spell in your spellbook (since eg. leaving as soon as you have gnusto and all the spells from the dispenser makes logical sense even if it’s a very boring thing to do.)

The packing crates have a default description.

Lesoch should perhaps be able to clean the dusty mirror, at least enough to see through it.

If I have the adventurer follow me in the lower part of the caverns after removing the rope from the cliff, then return to the library alone (via blorpling a palantir or lleps zifmia me or whatever), and then go to Above the Pit, I get spammed with “the rope isn’t anchored well enough to support the adventurer’s weight” every turn, even though the rope isn’t present (even if I leave it in the library or something.)

Asking the adventurer for help while they’re unable to reach the chasm because they’re in the upper area with the rope removed results in them repeatedly beckoning for you to follow, but not going anywhere.

If you ‘undo’ past the point where you can’t undo anymore, it says “The use of ‘undo’ is forbidden in this game.” (Possibly this is client-specific.)[/spoiler]

The last of those rings a bell, I feel like I’ve seen reports of that problem before on the I7 board. But I can’t seem to find them now. The others have been added to the bug tracker. Thanks!

Bugs fixed, new version pushed. Streak of daily updates just barely not broken.

FYI, the multiple undo bug is here: inform7.com/mantis/view.php?id=1689

Aha, that’s where I saw it. Thanks. Since Graham says it’s fixed in the upcoming version of I7 I won’t worry about that for now.

New version with a few more minor bugfixes.

New release. This one is incredibly trivial but I want to keep the streak going. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just a few small issues I noticed while glancing at the new version.[spoiler]When I look into any palantir now, I see an uncertain-looking magic student staring into a scrying device at the destination. I assume this is supposed to be me? Why is it showing me at that location? I can’t interact with that in any way, anyway, which seems odd, but I’m not sure if this is a bug or something I’m misunderstanding (a reflection or somesuch.)

If you order the bird to follow you when it’s already doing so, you get “It doesn’t look like the little bird is really capable of that”, which seems like an odd response.

“tie rope to rope” responds “the old rope and the old rope are already tied together.”

If, while flying in the chasm, you tie the rope to an object and then drop that object, it says the object “falls away, never to be seen again.” However, it is still present and you can still interact with it (which makes logical sense since it’s suspended from the rope you’re holding.)[/spoiler]

Added to the bug tracker. (Re the first one: yes, it is meant to be you. It’s only supposed to appear if you see yourself through a scrying device, i.e. if someone in the next room points a scrying device toward you and you look in the other one. An edge case to be sure.)

New version with minor and not-so-minor bugs by FloatingInfo and Aquillion fixed. Link is the same.

New quick patch release fixes a nasty bug that would crash your interpreter if you attempted to restore a saved game from the previous version then immediately took an in-world action, as well as a less nasty but more exploitable one where abusing the disambiguation process could put all objects visible to all palantiri in scope for one turn.

New release with more bug fixes.

New release, plus an update to the InvisiClues. This one fixes some more serious problems including a couple that could crash the game if you poked them the right way, by moving the player to their own inventory or removing the player from play.

No bugs this time, just some comments on the invisclues.

[spoiler]It’s possible that a player won’t notice the mirrors at all, so perhaps the first “what can I do with the adventurer” clue should touch on that (or maybe there could be another clue in the scrying room for “what can I find here?” or something.) Missing the mirror with the adventurer would be particularly confusing because there’s nothing in the stairs puzzle to particularly indicate what you’re missing, so people who are stuck there are likely to look at the clues and find no help except a reference to an adventurer they haven’t seen yet. Possibly also the “how can I go down the stairs?” question should direct you to search the Scrying Room more thoroughly if you haven’t met the adventurer.

There’s also no “How do I reach the caves?” question, which could perhaps go in the section on the caves – with the first hint saying that if you haven’t reached chapter 2, stop here; the second hint asking if you have anything new to experiment with, the third hint suggesting that you experiment with your new spell, the fourth suggesting you experiment in the scrying room, and the last one straight-up telling you what to do. Or something along those lines.[/spoiler]

No bugs? :smiley:

The comments are noted, though, and I intend to rewrite some of those. I agree there is a need for a question about reaching that area, especially because the game doesn’t explicitly direct you there. It requires a bit of a leap of logic on the player’s part.

Well, I didn’t actually test for bugs yet. I’m sure I can find something! But I’ve been too busy to look.

Aw, I knew it was too good to be true. :stuck_out_tongue:

Unfortunately this is going to have to be the end of the daily releases. It consumes a lot of time and I don’t think I’ll be able to keep it up now that classes are starting again.

Don’t worry, you’ve pretty much established an amazing reputation by now.