ScottKit (compile/decompile Scott Adams game files)

LOL. I love the way the ghost of Hamlet’s father seems to subtly set up a “fetch the treasures” type adventure.

I think it’s a very compact and clever system that wasn’t really utilized to its full potential. Scott Adams extended the system gradually over the years to add features (like the “continue” command) that greatly extended the potential. It’s a pity that the .dat file format limits the size of games unnecessarily.

1 Like

Yes. Subtlety. Subtlety is definitely a hallmark of the Adventure International house style and something I am trying to replicate.

ahem

I’m really looking forward to this! There’s something delightfully perverse about doing Shakespeare Scott Adams style, and you’ve really nailed it! The use of capitals, the lack of full stops and those little double-dashes straight out of Marvel comics, are all so authentically Scott. Can’t wait!

1 Like

It’s a brilliant idea. It could be a whole thing; literary classics as Scott Adams “fetch the treasures” adventures. I can’t wait to play it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hear you. The Clojure highlighter served pretty well before Dialog had one, and it makes Scottkit .sck a little more readable too.

(I know nothing at all about Clojure except “whatever it’s like, it seems to be a Better Than Nothing highlighter for obscure IF languages.”)

2 Likes

Some basic syntax highlighting rules were easy enough to get working at least. As soon as I can get my head around the structure of it all, to separate language fields more intelligently, i’ll publish something.

My dream would be something that highlighted errors and unused data items too, but just basic colors can help a bit for now.

1 Like

Alpha build complete if anybody feels like helping bring this 40-years-overdue tragedy to life: Hamlet (Scott Adams style) seeks testers

Maybe a naive question but would it be possible to run ScottKit i CygWin? Have anyone tried it?

I got it working under CygWin!

I installed the following libraries:

ruby-2.6.4-1
ruby-devel-2.6.4-1
zlib-1.2.11-1
zlib-devel-1.2.11-1
libiconv-devel-1.14-3
libxml2-2.9.9-2
libxml2-devel-2.9.9-2
libxslt-1.1.29-1
libxslt-devel-1.1.29-1

And then the following from inside CygWin::

gem install pkg-config -v “~> 1.1”
gem install nokogiri – --use-system-libraries
gem install scottkit

Then I just go to the bin-folder in my home directory and run scottkit with commands like:

$ ruby scottkit …/games/adams/adv01.dat
ScottKit, a Scott Adams game toolkit in Ruby.
(C) 2010-2017 Mike Taylor mike@miketaylor.org.uk
Distributed under the GNU GPL version 2 license,
I’m in a forest
Obvious exits: North, South, East, West.
I can also see: Trees
A voice BOOOOMS out:
Welcome to Adventure number: 1 “ADVENTURELAND”.
In this Adventure you’re to find TREASURES & store them away.
To see how well you’re doing say: “SCORE”
Remember you can always say “HELP”
Tell me what to do ?

2 Likes