"Score" system and branches in links

If you are requesting technical assistance with Twine, please specify:
Twine Version: 2.3.14
Story Format: Harlowe 3.2.2

Hello,

Without getting too much into details, the story I’m working on is a detective simulator where actions can give you either Goodwill or Intel. Basically what I’m trying to do is implement a system where clicking a link to a passage will give you a different outcome based on the variables set in Intel and Goodwill. For example:

Player has a link to click on. Clicking on it when the Goodwill variable is set to 1 will lead to a passage where the player “passed” the Goodwill check, while clicking the same link while Goodwill variable is set to 0 will lead to a different passage where they “failed” the Goodwill check. Same thing with Intel.

I have variables down but I was wondering how I would approach the rest of this.

Thank you.

Pasting this into the passage highlights it all orange stating that “Harlowe macros use a different syntax to Twine 1, SugarCube, and yarn macros.” I’m using Harlowe 3.2.2; how would this be formatted to fit the version I am using, if it is even possible?

Yes, I initially missed that you were using Harlowe, sorry - that’s why I almost immediately deleted my comment. I’m not as familiar with the Harlowe syntax, so I had to go look it up to make sure it would work, and I figured it was better not to leave the misinformation up in the meantime, but it didn’t occur to me that if you got email notifications you might not even notice the deletion. In Harlowe it should be:

(link: "Link text here")[(if: $goodwill is 1)[(goto: "SkillCheckPass")](else:)[(goto: "SkillCheckFail")]]

No worries. Thank you so much for the help, this works perfectly!

1 Like