Sargent's Chapbook Extensions

Twine Version: Chapbook 2.0.0 (ish)

I’ve put together a starting collection of Chapbook inserts and modifiers centered on text wrangling:

• The [collect] modifier to save text to a variable instead of showing it, letting you build up longer descriptions that you can then show using the {show collected} insert.
  • The {if [condition]} insert to only show text if the condition is true.
  • The {first time} insert to show text only the first time a player visits the passage.
  • The {one of} insert to show different text every time the player visits the passage.

You can get the code from the project’s repository, as well as see the extensions demonstrated.

NOTE: There’s a bug in how Chapbook 2.0.0 processes Javascript blocks. The bug’s been fixed, but until a new version is released, to use these extensions, you’ll need to build the Chapbook story format from source, or DM me and I can get you a pre-compiled version.

9 Likes

These seem really cool! Thanks for sharing. Could you talk through some use cases for the text collection extensions? They feel like you could do a lot with them, but I can’t put my finger on exact use cases. Putting together a complex message without using a lot of if statements?

1 Like