Sanity Check on Mix-In Classes

With IFCOMP in the rearview (barring a few games still in the chamber), am back at work on the WIP! Decided some functionality was best implemented as a mix-in class. As usual, I went about it backwards: first digesting mix-in class definitions in the source code, then reading the docs. From there, I inferred two, and only two, rules to mixin classes:

1. Define as non-Thing, most probably object
  2. List first or at least before Thing-based Class during instantiation (to ensure override precedence) eg. newObj : CustomMixIn, Thing

As far as I can tell, that is it! Any hidden gotchas to mix-in classes you folks have tripped over? I am only lightly tested, but so far that seems to get it done.

3 Likes

That looks right to me.

Nitpicky detail that you probably already know, but I’ll mention it in case others come along later with similar questions:

TADS doesn’t really have mixin classes, like those in Ruby or Rust. TADS supports full multiple inheritance, meaning all classes are classes, no qualifiers.

But, yeah, when you add a class that inherits from object to a Thing, it does look a lot like a mixin. It’s less true when you start mixing Thing-based classes together, like

class LockableContainer: Lockable, Openable, Container

where the parent classes all inherit from Thing.

(I’ll leave it there. The page in the TADS docs I linked to above goes deep on some of the thornier issues and problems with multiple inheritance.)

4 Likes

Yeah, I think it’s one of those things where the problems are all either: there’s just a couple simple rules to keep track of, and they cover everything you need to worry about; or the answer to your problem is a graduate thesis on language design.

3 Likes