Sand-dancer

I’m having a problem with my transcription of Sand-dancer by Arron Reed from “Creating Interactive Fiction With Inform 7.”

I transcribe this line exactly: Instead of going up in Roof when player does not hold courage and huge metal barrel is not placed correctly: say “The metal rungs have rusted away and crumbled; the lowest are well above your head. You don’t have the courage to make the jump.”

And I get this problem message: Problem. You wrote ‘Instead of going up in Roof when player does not hold courage and huge metal barrel is not placed correctly’ , which seems to introduce a rule taking effect only ‘when player does not hold courage and huge metal barrel is not placed correctly’. But this condition did not make sense, so I am unable to accept this rule.

I don’t know why this is happening Any ideas?

Old versions of I7 accept “(when) in Roof” as a condition, but in the current version you have to say “(when) the location is Roof”.

Sorry, but that doesn’t address my problem. But thanks for the reply.

It addresses a problem. Possibly you have several problems. :slight_smile: I’m afraid I only see the one.

This extremely abbreviated sample compiles:

The Roof is a room.
Courage is a thing.

The huge metal barrel is a thing.
The huge metal barrel can be placed correctly.

Instead of going up when the location is the Roof and player does not hold courage and huge metal barrel is not placed correctly: say "The metal rungs have rusted away and crumbled; the lowest are well above your head. You don't have the courage to make the jump."

You’ll have to look and see what Sand-Dancer is doing differently.

Yes, it does! Thanks!