Ryan Veeder's Authentic Fly Fishing: Theories concerning plot

Yeah, I think I’ve been everywhere. No big gaps of locations I’ve missed or anything.

It’s interesting to see how round the map actually is. In my head I had the northeast lodge/woods area more to the east (probably because I was storing the procgenned woods as that big blob over there and the creek/shed path doesn’t exist until you drop the ladder).

I noticed your map was missing (if it wasn’t intentional) the abandoned cabin and throne clearing.

Still have to find the dang notebook though. I might start a new file in an incognito window and see if I can find it there.

1 Like

I think I made the map before I found that and forgot to add it LOL.
Can @CortJstr remember where damp notebook was?

This is one of the situations were the commands x and search do different things so you may have x’d the correct item but still need to search it. You need to search in the junkyard north of the disc golf. I believe it’s in the car.

Ah! Found it, thank you. I tried everything except searching or looking in the car, dangit.

1 Like

Sentences like these are so delightful and precious to me. I crave them.

One of the primary goals of RVAFF was to create a setting that you could come to understand intimately. I think a lot about the psychogeography of games and the spatial texture that players feel when they occupy this corner of the map as opposed to that area. Moreso than a story or even a sentiment, what I wanted to convey with this game was a sense of place.

It’s really nice to hear about how you held Jewel Pond in your mind. Thanks.

2 Likes

Well, she does moonlight as a furry. And her gloves do have ‘suspicious’ stains on them.

In all seriousness though, I’m thinking she made up the Morrecht Cregg werewolf thing to scare people away from the property, but it attracted Jack Deacon instead. (If that hasn’t been already said, anyway.)

This is the prevailing theory! The “why” behind it is fascinating, though: I think most of us agree that she was once a fly fisher but had a falling out (romantic?) and became privacy-obsessed as revenge

Wait, falling out? Was there more evidence for that than just her maybe being in one of the old album pictures? Because I always thought that she was disconnected from the Fly Fishing association, and Anita trying to recruit her was the first attempt at it, and lead to you finding the membership certificate and Walleye Badge in the trash. (And so Anita recruited Tortus instead, hehe.)

I mapped out Harlan’s edutainment CYOA at the cost of my wrist strength. Not really sure how to spoiler such a long section, so here’s a paste: https://pastebin.com/QzupkknL

The thing that caught my eye was the hatching of the Reference which involved throwing an egg in a fireplace and which I was SO SURE was the answer to the geode. As far as I can tell, it is not, but maybe there are still some secrets buried in there.

Some other questionable secrets that I have found:

The cell phone can be used to scan the QR codes. Only thing I found.

If you metal detector the skeleton, you can find the bullet. Uses pending… (along with the werewolf suit)

I can’t go up the creek today, as it’s too low, and when it’s raining it’s too scary, but is there a day where you can?

Those are good points, and I don’t think there is other evidence except the photo seems to have been taken inside the lodge based on the peek at rug…

Ryan explicitly said on Twitter that it’s always either too rainy or too low to go up the NW creek. He also said if he decides to add content later this will be a likely avenue to new locations.

Forgive me, I didn’t know you wanted to see maps. My map is now (temporarily) at http://plover.net/~davidw/tmp/ryanv19_map.html .

1 Like

I seem to be missing the fish skeleton badge. Any hints would be appreciated.

This is a big one if I remember correctly - have you found any GPS coords?

Yes, 2 sets, one in the forest and one on top of the boulder.

This is a very clever and innovative type of puzzle—perhaps uniquely suited to parser IF—but perhaps not totally and inarguably “fair,” in that it isn’t something that the culture of players has discovered, learned, and internalized. After it becomes an established technique in the format, however, I plan to be hailed as a genius.

4 Likes

Thank you both for the help, I found it!

2 Likes

Do you mind telling me where it was? I think I know…

Since you already have it, I assume you are asking for a reminder, not a full spoiler: It was in a red tackle box.

ah yes! that’s what I thought - I knew it was connected to the clue I gave you but couldn’t remember exactly how.