Running Through Things, index and last?

Is there a way to target the index or the first or last item while running through things?

something like:

repeat with item running through things:
          if the item is x index:
               say "this is item number [x index]";
          if the item is last:
               say "this is the last item";

It doesn’t seem very idiomatic to Inform 7, but I suppose you could increment a counter as you go through the repeat loop and use that as the index.

Oh… right. Inform makes me feel dumb.

Even if I did that, how do I compare the index to the length of the list? Do I need to build that too somehow or is there already an equivalent of something like “something.length” in Inform that can be applied to a list?

You could refer to “the size of the list”.

Just wondering, what do you need this for? The repeat loop won’t give you the objects in any meaningful order.

The usual approach is to maintain the index manually:[code]There is a room; there is a container; there is a supporter; there is a device.

When play begins:
let the ultimate index be the number of things [as Draconis suggested] minus one;
let the index be zero;
repeat with the item running through things:
say “[The item].”;
if the index is two:
say “-- This ([the item]) is item number two.”;
if the index is the ultimate index:
say “-- This ([the item]) is the last item.”;
increment the index.[/code]

Edit: Okay, you people already got three posts in while I was writing this.
Further edit: Fixed a silly spelling error.

I’m having trouble getting this to work in the context I originally encountered the issue for. This code was drawn up in a different thread I opened, but I thought the issue here (dealing with lengths of lists) was specific enough for its own thread.

How can I insert index checking and last into this?

To say descriptive (L - list of objects):
	repeat with the item running through L:
		say "[description of the item]".

I tried a similar syntax to what you have there, eu, but it doesn’t like it (says it can’t understand “number of objects in L”, but I don’t know what the proper syntax for referencing that would be):

To say descriptive (L - list of objects):
	let the ultimate index be the number of objects in L minus one;
        let index be 0;
	repeat with the item running through L:
                if the index is the ultimate index:
			say " and [description of the item]";
		otherwise:
                        say "[description of the item], ";

“number of entries in L” is what you want.

Indeed it was! Thanks all!

You don’t necessarily need to increment the index manually:

To say descriptive (L - list of objects): repeat with index running from 1 to the number of entries in L: if the index is the number of entries in L: say " and [description of entry index in L]"; otherwise: say "[description of entry index in L], ".