Rovarsson's Spring Thing 2023

Speaking of ribbon nominations…18 out of 23 or so authors have responded. All ribbon nominations were anonymized and kind of randomized, so no one will know which ones you suggested…how popular will Rovarsson be??? tune in tomorrow, since around noon CST is when the award selection is due and when I start putting them in (latecomers will be posted as they come in).

8 Likes

Yes.

We could draw out the competition by betting “kudos” for who gets the most ribbons chosen. Add a bit more pressure to the authors who thought it was over.

And you would be the only one who knew the truth…

2 Likes

Can we nominate ourselves for “Most confused exclamations during debugging” or is that something that needs to have been recorded with the usage of acceptable metrics?
My wife is still making fun of me, if that counts.

5 Likes

Mmmmh can we share this ribbon? :rofl:

4 Likes

@GJMen , @manonamora ,

We, the JUDGES, would need audio-recordings for confirmation. We would count the number of expletives as

-$ = x
-* = y
-ç = z
-% = p
-& = q

and analyse them against the swear words in Asterix strips. Gothic script will not be awarded extra points.

4 Likes

DAMNIT! here’s goes my chance of getting ahead…

3 Likes

Do we get extra brownie points for shifting between multiple languages? I can clearly remember two instances where i started in obnoxious, cocksure greek, switched to italian exhaustively confused hand gesturing

and i gave up sobbing in exhaustipated english.

This project taught me a lot about myself. Like how commas do not exist and periods look far too much alike to semicolons.

5 Likes

I’m so glad you chose to put the English version on this forum. The French is much harder on the ears…

4 Likes

Then it is back to a stalemate… :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s hard to be considerate :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I do hate that in the Flemish/Duth translations they changed the names of many of the characters. Even worse, they changed the names of the Roman encampments around our beloved little Gaul village.

Le grand “Abraracourcix” devient Heroix par exemple.

“Babaorum” et “Petitbonum” sont des fines petites blagues, mèmes pour les Flamands qui comprennent. Au contraire, “Grootmocum” et “Adfundum” sont des Holandaiseries inacceptables. (Excusez-moi @VictorGijsbers )

3 Likes

Apropo of nothing, is there an angrier, more satisfying language to swear in than German? I think its all those SHH, KKK and CHH sounds. Swearing in French sounds too much like poetry to really have the punch I want…

I don’t know Russian. That feels like a contender though.

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh JJ, the sound of French swearing is very misleading :wink:
(that’s how we end up insulting other people not understanding French and getting away with it :stuck_out_tongue: )

4 Likes

Merde-putain-d’alors-va-t’enfoutre-tecasse-ou-nomdedieu-tamère-qu’elle-te-crache!

and I’m being really polite here…I haven’t even mentioned les couilles.

It’s also great to know just enough of the French language to know what sounds insulting.

5 Likes

A symphony to my ears :green_heart:

5 Likes

Constructed languages might like a word with you! :grin:

2 Likes

I mean, I hear that, I feel like I should be thanking you! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

ou les vaches…

3 Likes

Swearing in French makes me feel like I’m flossing a little too hard with silk. Swearing in Russian is like doing the same thing but to someone else’s teeth. Both very satisfying in their own fricative ways!

5 Likes

Flemish actually borrows a bit of French in swearing words:

-Nondedju: Nom de Dieu
-Akkerdjie: Sacre Dieu

My favourite Flemish one is straightforward, the one which one exclaims when hitting one’s thumb with a hammer. Or when one finds out … (fill in here)

Godverdoeme!

4 Likes

That reminds me of the “Rogntudju!” of Prunelle from Gaston Lagaffe (a distorted “nom de Dieu” to work around the censorship of the time). And Wikipedia tells me that Prunelle is inspired by a real Flemish menber of the Spirou editorial office, so it checks out, I guess!

(We are a bit off-topic, aren’t we? But it’s your topic, after all.)

4 Likes