Rovarsson's Spring Thing 2023

• The Mamertine

An intruiging intro which doesn’t give you much backstory but succeeds in setting a defeated, heavy mood. The dungeon you wake up in shows some promise of escaping, but that initial hope is quickly broken.

The maze around the dungeon is small, but it offers enough passages and dead ends to be somewhat confusing. It appears that to successfully extricate the PC from this oubliette, you have to traverse the game in a particular order, lest you close off any chance of winning. Alongside the risk of leaving only a failing end-move open, there are also sudden unwarranted deaths. Oldschool parser mentality brought to you in a choice engine!

I actually wouldn’t mind all that if restarting wasn’t such a chore. The timed intro takes way too long and there is no way to skip it. The re-animation scene after the sudden death I encountered was very funny though.

The interface seems adequate for offering a limited parser-like experience on a phone, but I felt severely hindered in my imagination. All those crazy zany what-if scenarios that a parser sets loose in my brain didn’t have the chance to form. On the third or fourth playthrough, I found myself mechanically clicking off options I hadn’t taken the previous time.

Promising, but not quite there yet.

I replayed several times, choosing different paths in different orders. None of my attempts lead to a happy ending. (Intentional design? “There is no hope. The cult will always get you.” If so, it’s not signalled clearly.)

I got the newspaper (which somehow has a sedative effect). The brass sphere transformed into a key and sent me back to the Maze. I got the spanner, compass, and oil after the old man died and skeletonised while I was dreaming about barbecueing my hand. I pulled the lever (eliciting a distant scream twice) until it had no further effect.
Each time where I didn’t run into a death trap, I ended up in a situation where my only move left was to open the trapdoor and be discovered by the dancing cult. I wanted to USE the sedative newspaper, meaning to slide it between the gaps of the trapdoor to make the dancers fall asleep. That was not an option, sadly.

10 Likes

*ahem* -that would be “Melvin”…-

2 Likes
  • Etiolated Light

I didn’t like it. No.
I, Ms. Viridia Poppyseed, did not like it when they made me sign those papers.
Mind you, I barely understood at the time. Now that I’m older, and soon to be married, I understand better.
I still don’t like it though…

I, Rovarsson, however, liked the story a lot. I do have some issues with the way the choices are handled.

Etiolated Light is an eerie story. A Gothic Romance/Horror story, reminiscent in themes of the late 19th century tradition. It uses the requisite tropes effectively and builds the tension through well-chosen foreshadowing details (the butterflies) and a few chilling revelations (the spider on the window!).

The writing is good, very good at times. This short paragraph on the first page drew me into the atmosphere right away:

The man and woman across the table are austere, straight-backed, dead eyed. One smiles and the others’ face slackens, as if the expression is something they’re passing back and forth between them.

Then why did it not land for me?

When I step back and let the story replay in my memory, I see a very moody, scary horror piece. Had I read this in an anthology of Horror-tales, I would probably have earmarked it for rereading.

However, when zooming in it becomes apparent that the execution of the interactivity works against the immersion, instead of amplifying it. The player/reader is forced to wear too many different hats, to take on too many separate roles in the unfolding of the story.

This is due to the lumping of choices/links from dissimilar categories. Allow me to try to explain.
—The majority of choices are “action”-options: go somewhere, talk to someone about a certain topic,… These put the player in the protagonist’s shoes. I do something, and the game tells me what the consequences of my actions are. I can consider the different options and make an informed guess about what the protagonist should do to guide the narrative one way or another (of course allowing for unintended or unforeseen results).
—But then there are a bunch of choices that are “reaction”-options. Not considered reactions or even split-second decisions, but gut-instinct impulsive responses outside of conscious control. At one point, for example, I could choose to “cry” or “fall down”. This isn’t the player working alongside the protagonist in deciding what to do, it’s the player taking over the subconscious wirings of the character’s emotions.
This is by no means an illegitimate approach. Here though, it’s presented as the same kind of decision as whether or not to talk to someone, while this kind of choice takes place on another level. It promotes the player at least partly to writer. I found this distanced me from the main character instead of feeling more empathic.
—On an even further removed “writerly” level, there are choices about the backstory of the parents’ conundrum (gambling debts, mortgage issues,…). These put the reader in charge of co-creating the circumstances in which the story takes place, thus forcing her to distance herself even more from the character she’s supposedly playing. Again, this is not wrong in general, but throwing it in with the other forms of choices further confuses the role of the player.
(I’ll also briefly mention my dislike of making the player decide on the gender of the protagonist here. Just make that choice as the author and give me a well-defined character I can feel for. I’m probably in the minority here though, seeing how wide-spread this practice is.)

The result was that at times I was playing the PC, choosing actions and living with the results the author wrote, other times I was playing an emotional/subconscious simulator of the PC’s impulsive responses, and still other times I felt I was siding with the writer to fill in parts of the story.

Recapitulation: I liked the story very much, but the confusion of the categories of options (and the roles they put me in as player) hindered my empathic engagement with it.

(PS: I hope my explanation makes sense. I’m not as well versed in playing or critiquing choice-games as I am in parsers, and I certainly lack the specific jargon that would perhaps make my impressions clearer.)

11 Likes

Ok, now I want a thread where everyone just posts their character names for Etiolated Light.

This is a pointy observation. I absolutely get what you mean here, I played Structural Integrity and this very much the same way. For me though, I would say this helped my immersion in both cases. Particularly here, where there were a really limited number of ways it could end, I found it to be a powerful way to reward player agency and impact on the narrative. The breadth of what we (players) are allowed to define made for a customized experience that still bounded branching narrative problems.

In both cases, I found the choices available allowed me to create a version of the protag(s) that worked for me and the story. The challenge I suppose is, can a character be collaboratively created that is so compelling, the act of collaboration itself does not distract? Did the author create disparate enough choice variations that player-writer can create something interesting to player-player (while keeping plot integrated)?

For me, both those works did just that! But then I have deep experience shouting down inconvenient parts of my own brain.

Rereading, this was a long-winded way to say “I really liked that thing you weren’t wild about!” I’m contributing to the dialog?

6 Likes

Or we could all change our forum-handles to our Etiolated-names. What was yours?

I’m glad you responded in your “long-winded” way. It’s interesting to see that someone totally gets what I’m saying, but comes down on the other side of appreciation for it.

I really struggled to put this into words. I was actually quite annoyed with myself for a bit: “Here you have a perfectly fine piece of IF Gothic Horror, and you’re not content. What’s up with you?”
A fair bit of self-searching and word-wrangling were needed to formulate an approximation of what kept this game from resonating more deeply with me.

I’m also thinking that my deep marination in parsers has pressed this division of labour (player ↔ author) upon me: I do stuff. You take care of the rest.

7 Likes

“Ms. Bilanca Mezcal, at your service good sir.”

I do agree that sometimes the post-game inquiry of “Why did I feel this way?” can be as diverting as the work itself.

6 Likes

Hah! Bilanca Mezcal and Viridia Poppyseed out for a night on the town together.
Look out world!

5 Likes
  • The Familiar

Such a warm and homely starting situation! Your witch is feeling a bit under the weather. How better to help her than to brew a cauldron of heartening medicinal soup?

Soon, though, it becomes apparent that something darker than a simple cold is amiss. Your mistress has been hexed, and she’s going to need something a bit more potent than hot soup.

Fran the crow is a lovely protagonist. Even though her ability to express herself verbally is limited to CAW, her kind-heartedness shines through in all her actions, and in her thoughts as they are relegated to the player through the author’s empathic penmanship.

As enthusiastic and full of life Fran is, even in these dire times, so is the author’s writing. Eager to share the wonders of this world, be they light or dark. From the cosy cabin to the oppressive vine-tangled forest, from the stately Opera House to the cute girl in the window, the joy of inviting the reader into this world sparkles on the screen.

You have been flying through the western forest as dawn begins to extend its frilly tendrils across the sky, and warm late-summer winds filter through your feathers. Streaks of green and yellow paint the landscape with fresh vibrancy.

Sometimes it’s a bit too enthousiastic, to the point of near-selfcombustion:

“The mammoth governmental building looms ahead, its single golden clocktower eye and teeth-like arches looking more bestial than ever.”

A simple but delicately drawn map with just enough twists and turns in the path to feel organic guides you through the forest to the city of Gennemont, where the nub of the adventure lies.

One particular puzzle-and-narrative sequence here is so heartwarming I’d have gladly played the game for the joy of it alone. (The girl in the window’s love-letter.)
Being aimed at beginners, the puzzles are quite simple. Most hinge on winning the trust of a human. The wing-and-beak gesturing CAW-ing conversations this entails are rich, the characters are people in their own right, and it gave a real sense of connection to bond with them on a deeper level than just carrying out their associated fetch-quest.

During these conversations, and through the limited memories and understanding Fran has of the goings-on in the wider world, we learn of the broader circumstances in which the story plays. A war is going on between the powerful factions of the setting, and it reaches down to influence even the lives of Fran and the other characters.

The entire tale is enlightened but not overshadowed by moody grey-blue pixel graphics, emphasising the atmosphere of the text-descriptions without drawing too much attention away from the text.

At the end, the author hearkens back to an early meeting in an almost fairy-tale fashion, bringing the story around to a satisfying close.

I came across a few bugs and sent reports of them to the author. I’m confident those will be squashed in a following update. Nothing that should hinder the enjoyment, perhaps even providing an extra laugh or two.

A very warm and inviting game.

14 Likes
  • Your Post-Apocalyptic To-Do List

----ties periwinkle-blue bathrobe to hide grimy undies; hoists massive boombox on left shoulder; lifts championship belt above head in right fist; presses play; EYE OF THE TIGER booms from boombox----

Hogwrestling Axewielding Deathmatch Champion of the World, sows!

6 Likes
  • Protocol

I stared at my screen for a long time after finishing this story. I was at a loss for words. As a short intro, I’ll quote what I wrote to the author @30x30 when I was about halfway through:

The struggle to elaborate on those impressions will be apparent from the sometimes incoherent review below.

Conservation of p is violated in the mirror…

“Weightlessness, wonder, a rare smile as the planet descended below you, a brilliant viridian marble swirled with soft white clouds.”

Despite the protagonist of Protocol having left her lover to go live among the stars, high above/below the planet, this quote is on of the few instances where the space outside is witnessed directly from her point of view.
Protocol is an inwardly oriented game, both in its surface quest and in its more abstract layers.

The protagonist wakes up alone on an abandoned Space Observatory Station, a mighty telescope pointed at the tiniest pinpricks of light from the farthest, earliest moments of space, suspended in its ring of service modules and living quarters for the necessary living staff. The station is damaged. An urgency more felt than understood presses her to do all that is necessary for the repair of the station.

During the exploration of the station, wounded and confused, weakened and alone, a relation of mutual dependency/support/survival develops. The station needs/coerces/forces the woman for healing its wounds, for saving what is not yet irreparably lost of its memories while she struggles to remember herself. The woman uses/grasps/wills the station for a purpose, a reason. The only purpose left, empty and meaningless as it may be.

The desperate crawling journey of the woman through the station to its core systems, to the exposed and damaged vital technologies mirrors a descent deeper and deeper into the body and mind, into psyche and soma, to the wounded bleeding sarx itself, the flesh and bones that need repair.

However intimately connected, mind and body undergo an unnerving disorienting dissociation/distancing during the journey. The station becomes a distorted mirror for the woman. It reflects her broken dreams and yearnings and regrets back to her, reminiscent of the Nietzschean abyss. This is often expressed in physical, external circumstances and actions.

The painful state of the woman’s mind is made apparent in her personal monologue/narration too:

“Delusions of grandeur lost in the summer winds of her laugh, the comfort of a fire in winter in her embrace. Who could blame you, for turning your gaze away from the sky? You were enchanted by the stars, enamored with them. Who could blame you for leaving her, when the stars in her eyes shone no longer?”

While the premise of Protocol is well-known, and could be tiresome in a lesser game, it succeeds in using that premise as a means to search deep into the human condition. The sense of loss, the inevitability of choices, the impossibility of what could have been.

An important factor in making this work is the impressive writing. The author employs stylistic techniques to press the gravity of the situation on the reader. For the most part, this works very well. A bit more prudence might be in order as to the frequency with which one or another technique is used, as they do lose efficacy along the way.

Mesmerising, haunting repetitions, both of phrases and entire paragraphs (with small but telling differences) draw the player deep into the bowels of the story.

The juxtaposition of two major themes resonates throughout the story and appeals to different aesthetical and ethical value systems, perhaps loosely associated with the Appolonic and the Dionysic:

There is the beauty cold and austere of inevitable, ordered, lawful physics, geometry, even biology, juxtaposed with the messy hot-glowing spell of yearning, purpose, will of life and love and consciousness.

Both sides are reflected in the careful delicate writing. In the same passage of text scientific precision and sense of detail conjoins with poetic style, rythmic prose, flowing structure.

“This is how it always ends; falling the mechanism of your demise, her demise, both the guilty Daedalus and foolish Icarus, too close to the sea, too close to the sun and always doomed by gravity.”

At other times, the rhyme and rythm take center stage, as in this challenging and delightful lingual language game of leapfrog:

“Where she walked the shores of a shallow salt sea, followed the tree-lined lanes dappled in light through the thin apertures of leaves to a home with knotted hardwood floors and open windows through which the wind whispered.”

Protocol has few choices. The ones it does have are posed with appropriate gravitas. Each choice is a commitment, the player’s role and responsability in seeing this narrative to its inevitable end. Whatever end that may be. It is still inevitable.

Very, very impressive.

9 Likes

Thank you so much for your review! I really appreciate the thought and detail that went into creating it, and I’m glad that you enjoyed Protocol.

7 Likes

Congratulations, Mr. Deathmatch Champion. You deserve it! :clap: :clap: :pig: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Thank you, thank you,…

I couldn’t have done it without my mom, my sparring pigs, and my fence.

1 Like
  • Marie Waits

In this tense and fast-moving thriller, Marie Waits (daughter of eclecticly growling musician/singer-songwriter Tom) must escape her mysterious captors before the bright lights kill her. (An allusion to the stage lights her father spends so much time under? The story remains elusively silent on this matter.)

This was a very fast-paced but smooth ride. I already knew from skimming other reviews (I was too curious what @dee_cooke came up with this Spring to ignore the reviews for her game), that Marie Waits is a time-constrained turn-optimisation game.

Fortunately, it’s also a game that emphasises letting the player get on with it, quickly scanning the scene and picking out the important items (along with unimportant ones and currently inaccessible ones, of course.) No futzing with intricate machinery or 8-move back-and-forth puzzles, but obstacles that must and can be dealt with fast.

The writing is inobtrusive, it mostly keeps to the background and focuses on conveying the necessary practical information. Precisely this makes it so effective. It reads fast and pulls you along. Even though I started the game thinking I would take it easy, letting my PC die and learn for the next restore, I wound up captivated and tense, feeling the urgency of getting the hell out of there.

Here and there, the author does take the tempo down a notch to show some shreds of backstory through found notes. Very intruiging, and a good reason to play the other Marie-games. (One already out, one upcoming, I believe?)

Of course my testing instincts kicked in at a certain point. I tried to sneakily cut some corners and squeeze some commands in before my PC ought to be able to perform those actions. I was impressed that the author caught almost all these instances. I managed to smuggle one minor shortcut past the radar, shaving two moves (I think) off my total.

In the end, I was out of there by quarter past ten. Time to spare for Marie to take a shower and meet her friends for brunch.
Escaping mysterious kidnappers and avoiding a mid-day burning blast? All part of the morning chores.

Lots of fun!

12 Likes

Lovely review. Thanks!

1 Like

In case you wondered, I kept the Tom Waits reference out of the “official” IFDB review. But I thought a little joke here couldn’t hurt. It was actually the first thing that popped in my head when I read the title of your game.

I’ve been thinking a bit about the pickaxe puzzle. It’s very elegant. In part, it mirrors the nail in the wall of the pit, Just enought to recall that a pin-like object in a wall is a climbing aid. But you subvert it by making the pin-in-the-wall-handhold an accidental pickaxe strike meant to break that wall, forcing the player to do a double-take on her first intentions with the pickaxe and change perspective on how it is to be used.

And now I’ve overanalysed it. Oh well. I like it a lot.

7 Likes
  • I Am Prey

Well this is something else!

I Am Prey is a tense pursuit thriller where the PC is free to parkour around the map. If you can find the routes in time…

What the player would normally think of as scenery is transformed into accessible passages and back-ways in this game. Furniture, pipings, machinery,… They’re all available for climbing, jumping, crawling to find alternate routes and handy shortcuts around the map. Good thing too, the normal hallways are patrolled by a monstrous unseen entity looking to find you. (The fact that the kitchen pantry has been empty for some time does hint at the reason why…)

I tested this game in its bare-bones parkour proof-of-concept incarnation. It felt like spotting some rare and beautiful lizard in the branches of a vine-overgrown tree. A flicker of colour and movement that I could not quite make out yet.
What a treat to see it now in its glorious splendour!

The commands will take getting used to, as will orienting yourself in relation to the passages between locations. Read the manual and take your time to learn the game. You will be rewarded.

There is an anxiousness-inducing stealth element to the game, where the PC needs to locate certain items before being able to escape. All the while the presence of the Predator is felt and heard, every corner might be lethal.
Sounds play an important role. First of all the voice of your pursuer taunting you through the intercom. I found this actively stressful, distracting from the task at hand and paralysing me with indecisiveness.
Second, sound betrays where you and the pursuer are. Used with care, sound can be your ally…

Along with being a stealth game, I Am Prey also rang a lot of platformer-bells in my head. Jumping, climbing on surrounding objects to find hidden routes? My days playing SuperMarioLand on the SNES revolved around all that.

A parser-based text-game is turn-based, almost by definition. (Real time parsers will exist, no doubt. I shudder at the heartattack-inducing experience playing them would be for typing-challenged me.) Movement between locations is not the point, the game’s about what you do once you are in the next location. Contrary to that habitual room-based gameplay, I Am Prey succeeds in drawing the player into the movement-system as the key-feature of the game.

Remember the resting points on the platforms Mario could stand on relatively safely? You had just completed a precise jump onto a reassuringly broad platform and now you can breathe and plan the next move. Maybe there’s even a questionmark-block to investigate or some coins to pick up. But the focus is on the next jump, the next climb.

The rooms in I Am Prey felt like this to me. Places of temporary relative safety, for catching your breath and quickly searching. But you gotta move, man… You always gotta move…

Very exciting, very inviting to replay. I’ve never seen anything remotely like it.

@inventor200 , you’ve tapped into something highly original. Congratulations on following your vision and producing a game this good. I tip my hat to you.

14 Likes

What a post to wake up to!!! :grin:

Thank you so so much for playing, and your feedback during testing was absolutely fantastic!!!

I am absolutely jumping for joy right now (and holding onto something for balance because I still just woke up lol)!! :smile: :tada:

8 Likes

I played in “Easy”-mode. After randomly sneaking around the facility for a while avoiding the Predator, listening and slamming doors and peeking around corners, I started to search the rooms more methodically.
I got a glove and a boot and a papier-maché helmet (nice one!), and I was already getting a feel for when to quickly run down the open corridors and when to retreat onto parkour routes to shortcut into another corner of the map.
I made a mistake and found myself trapped a short while later. Overconfidence is to be blamed.

I’m gonna have to familiarise myself more with the commands and the orientation of the rooms and their connections. Then I’ll surely break out.

3 Likes

Good luck, Prey!! :wink: :grin:

3 Likes