Rovarsson's Spring Thing 2023

In case you wondered, I kept the Tom Waits reference out of the “official” IFDB review. But I thought a little joke here couldn’t hurt. It was actually the first thing that popped in my head when I read the title of your game.

I’ve been thinking a bit about the pickaxe puzzle. It’s very elegant. In part, it mirrors the nail in the wall of the pit, Just enought to recall that a pin-like object in a wall is a climbing aid. But you subvert it by making the pin-in-the-wall-handhold an accidental pickaxe strike meant to break that wall, forcing the player to do a double-take on her first intentions with the pickaxe and change perspective on how it is to be used.

And now I’ve overanalysed it. Oh well. I like it a lot.

7 Likes
  • I Am Prey

Well this is something else!

I Am Prey is a tense pursuit thriller where the PC is free to parkour around the map. If you can find the routes in time…

What the player would normally think of as scenery is transformed into accessible passages and back-ways in this game. Furniture, pipings, machinery,… They’re all available for climbing, jumping, crawling to find alternate routes and handy shortcuts around the map. Good thing too, the normal hallways are patrolled by a monstrous unseen entity looking to find you. (The fact that the kitchen pantry has been empty for some time does hint at the reason why…)

I tested this game in its bare-bones parkour proof-of-concept incarnation. It felt like spotting some rare and beautiful lizard in the branches of a vine-overgrown tree. A flicker of colour and movement that I could not quite make out yet.
What a treat to see it now in its glorious splendour!

The commands will take getting used to, as will orienting yourself in relation to the passages between locations. Read the manual and take your time to learn the game. You will be rewarded.

There is an anxiousness-inducing stealth element to the game, where the PC needs to locate certain items before being able to escape. All the while the presence of the Predator is felt and heard, every corner might be lethal.
Sounds play an important role. First of all the voice of your pursuer taunting you through the intercom. I found this actively stressful, distracting from the task at hand and paralysing me with indecisiveness.
Second, sound betrays where you and the pursuer are. Used with care, sound can be your ally…

Along with being a stealth game, I Am Prey also rang a lot of platformer-bells in my head. Jumping, climbing on surrounding objects to find hidden routes? My days playing SuperMarioLand on the SNES revolved around all that.

A parser-based text-game is turn-based, almost by definition. (Real time parsers will exist, no doubt. I shudder at the heartattack-inducing experience playing them would be for typing-challenged me.) Movement between locations is not the point, the game’s about what you do once you are in the next location. Contrary to that habitual room-based gameplay, I Am Prey succeeds in drawing the player into the movement-system as the key-feature of the game.

Remember the resting points on the platforms Mario could stand on relatively safely? You had just completed a precise jump onto a reassuringly broad platform and now you can breathe and plan the next move. Maybe there’s even a questionmark-block to investigate or some coins to pick up. But the focus is on the next jump, the next climb.

The rooms in I Am Prey felt like this to me. Places of temporary relative safety, for catching your breath and quickly searching. But you gotta move, man… You always gotta move…

Very exciting, very inviting to replay. I’ve never seen anything remotely like it.

@inventor200 , you’ve tapped into something highly original. Congratulations on following your vision and producing a game this good. I tip my hat to you.

14 Likes

What a post to wake up to!!! :grin:

Thank you so so much for playing, and your feedback during testing was absolutely fantastic!!!

I am absolutely jumping for joy right now (and holding onto something for balance because I still just woke up lol)!! :smile: :tada:

8 Likes

I played in “Easy”-mode. After randomly sneaking around the facility for a while avoiding the Predator, listening and slamming doors and peeking around corners, I started to search the rooms more methodically.
I got a glove and a boot and a papier-maché helmet (nice one!), and I was already getting a feel for when to quickly run down the open corridors and when to retreat onto parkour routes to shortcut into another corner of the map.
I made a mistake and found myself trapped a short while later. Overconfidence is to be blamed.

I’m gonna have to familiarise myself more with the commands and the orientation of the rooms and their connections. Then I’ll surely break out.

3 Likes

Good luck, Prey!! :wink: :grin:

3 Likes
  • Stygian Dreams

Hypnos, king of Gods, and men of mortal birth, sov’reign of all sustain’d by mother Earth;
For thy dominion is supreme alone, o’er all extended, and by all things known.
'Tis thine all bodies with benignant mind in other bands than those of brass to bind:
Tamer of cares, to weary toil repose, from whom sweet solace in affliction flows.
Thy pleasing, gentle chains preserve the soul, and e’en the dreadful cares of death controul;
For Thanatos and Lethe with oblivious stream, mankind thy genuine brothers justly deem.
With fav’ring aspect to my pray’r incline, and save thy mystics in their works divine.
Orphic Hymn LXXXIV; translated by Thomas Taylor ( ORPHIC HYMNS 41-86 - Theoi Classical Texts Library)

In a willing act of sacrifice, you plunge yourself into the cold water, and in so doing, into the Underworld itself. Though the shady misty haze of death threatens to smother your resolve, unravel your memories of love and self, you cling to your one purpose: find her.

This is a work in beta (hence the Back Garden entry), so I will not dwell on errors and bugs that will be (more or less) easily fixed in an upcoming official release. I recorded a transcript but that seems to have gotten lost. (Anyone who can help: Where did my transcript for Stygian Dreams go? (intfiction.org))

The writing in Stygian Dreams is powerful, elaborate, grand, in line with its direct inspiration: Ancient Greek mythology. Vivid images in the text are emphasised by emotionally impactful pictures. While the static descriptions and the recounting of past experiences are strong, delicate and captivating, the conversations are a weak spot. Especially near the end, it felt like the topics were quickly rushed through while there was still interesting stuff to be said. This was particularly so in the most important of all, the redeeming heart-to-heart with Ismene. When she’s summing up her regrets and flaws, she sounds like she’s crossing off items on a grocery list. The meaning of the scene is clear, the language to convey its deep significance to the reader is not (yet).
This could be the result of lack of time before the deadline of course. I mention it because it’s far more important than a typo, and deserves meticulous attention in the finished version.

The funniest, most interesting, and most satisfying talks are those with your tag-along companion. It’s an upbeat wisp who will pick you up when you are down. The interactions with this side character are always a treat. I wish there were more topics and more reasons to engage it in conversation.

The protagonist of the story is shrouded and unknown at the start of the game. Only slowly and gradually does his identity emerge through the information we get about his family relations and his association with known mythological heroes. (Mentions of the voyages and crew of the Argo help put the character in the right company…)

Stygian Dreams is very much a narrative-focused piece. It mirrors and repeatedly mentions the descent into Hades of those two heroes, the mighty warior Heracles and the sweet-voiced poet Orpheus. The core of the story is the metaphoric descent into oneself, confronting regrets and perceived sins, hopefully leading to catharsis in the end.
As such, this work contains few puzzles. Sadly, the puzzles it does contain were stumbling blocks for me. This is not a result of a bad puzzle-concept. It is first and foremost a problem with the ambitious interface the game employs.
It’s a parser-game with in-text links. Usually in such a setup, the links provide ease-of-use shortcuts to examining objects in the room or performing obvious actions, in effect supporting the parser. Here, the links serve the same function in the biggest portion of the game, but they totally overrule the parser when dealing with the two puzzles I encountered. When I gave up parser-wrestling and clicked the link (in one case scrolling back up five or six screens because I saw no way to get back to the piece of text that contained the link), not only did it solve the puzzle for me without needing any thinking from me, it did so with a command (which appeared by the prompt upon clicking) so out there that I would never have gotten it right. To add insult to injury, I had typed various simpler variations of the command into the parser while I was trying to solve the puzzle myself. (Narcissus puzzle: POUR LETHE WATER IN NARCISSUS’ REFLECTION. a) “reflection” nor “water” nor “river/styx” were separately implemented. b) I had tried POUR WATER IN STYX/RIVER and EMPTY WATERSKIN IN RIVER/STYX.) In this case, the inconsistent implementation directly impacted an important part of the story and of my experience, instead of being just a mild annoyance.

Nevertheless, as a story about a journey of self-discovery, cleansing and purification of one’s (perceived) shortcomings and inadequacies, coming to terms with one’s past, this piece works very well.

The atmosphere is rendered very effectively, the story beats organically divide the journey into smaller chapterlets, the tension of the inevitable final confrontation is nicely handled.

A strong piece.

7 Likes
  • Secret of the Black Walrus

Once again, Scotland Yard is baffled and comes knocking on your door for assistance. A locked-door murder mystery! Nice to have something to sharpen your sleuthing mind on.

The Victorian-pastiche writing force runs deep with this one, mostly in a good way. Even when it goes a bit overboard sometimes (thesaurus anyone?), it still bundles the player in a nice and comforting hearthfire detective mood. (Pipe optional.)

Despite the captivating writing however, I felt like this game could be a pitch for a rather predictable detective movie implemented in HTML/Javascript. All the twists and turns of the story are there, as well as the characters and their relations, but they’re only sketchily filled out.

There is definitely something bubbling beneath the surface with regards to the relation between the witty detective and the grumpy Scotland Yard Inspector, but it never gets deeper than the exchange of funny witticisms and insulting remarks.
I had hoped to see a bit more of Detective Sergeant Bixby’s personality. A few links seem to suggest more personal questions, but these are quickly deflected.

The game-information warns the player to take careful notes, lest the game become unwinnable. In the end though, I didn’t feel I (the player) had done much sleuthing and deducing at all. When looking over my notes, I realise that all the clues I needed would fit on the back of a small grocery list (“eggs, milk, ham, alligator dental floss”). A concise walkthrough would consist of “Click everything until you can go someplace else. Repeat. When prompted, enter these three addresses in order”. Instead of the result of my deductive skill, this seemed more like having to prove to the game that I had read the previous paragraphs.

The investigation of the crime scene and the interrogation of the witnesses is fun, but the actual detective work of putting the clues together into a coherent whole is done by the game. My little grey cells felt a bit disregarded.

Still, an entertaining detective story.

9 Likes

Thank you for playing my game, Rovarsson, and for your very kind review!

What we’re kind of dancing around here is the challenge of making a game that permits the player to do some actual deduction. I’ve played games that tried to do this, but felt like it kind of boiled down to a quiz at the end: did you guess the right suspect? And did you find the right clues?

I don’t disagree with you but I’m not sure how to make a game that does this well. I want to write another Black Walrus game, but it will likely be another “detective hunt” game. I thought this was kind of a good balance: the player and Soo work together as a team to catch the game’s villain.

But if anybody has any ideas on how to approach this better, I’d be curious to hear some discussion on this. And thank you again for playing my game!

6 Likes

I’d welcome another Detective Soo story! I’m curious about her backstory, and I like her intelligent but no-nonsense way of tackling crime (she goes straight to the crime scene for example, instead of enjoying a bit of abstract reasoning excercises first, like some other well-known detective might…)

3 Likes
  • Mirror

Four micro-Twines revolving around the shared theme of mirrors.

—Lilian Lalonder:
What an imagination! The game starts very traditional (a cracked mirror portal), but the author makes use of the choices very effectively to explore a wide array of zany possible outcomes. Many of these are actually intruiging entrances to new possible stories that are left to the imagination of the player. A bit of random fourth-wall breaking, a splash of exaggerated genre-awareness, a bunch of silly happenstances dropped out of nowhere.
This is really fun!

Remarks for Liliane:

-Read back over your text and ask yourself if you really need every sentence. I feel this story would have more funny/silly impact if it was trimmed down even more.

—Mihi
A positive, optimistic little story. The obvious enthusiasm of the writing swept me right along with the PC on a lovely holiday!
The fun the author was having splashes off the screen. I think they giggled a bit when sending the player off on a promising but surprisingly blocked off path.

Remarks for Mihi:

-However much fun it may be, perhaps you could think of following through on the blocked paths (telling the parents about the winnings, going on an adrenalin holiday). Or, if you insist on making those links dead ends, try to come up with increasingly funny reasons why the player can’t pick that choice, instead of repeating the same text when she clicks the same link a second (or third) time.

—Filter James
Hah! I laughed when I opened the red door! Funny. This game is an exploration of some surreal dreamlike catacombs which are somehow connected to your ordinary life. I liked the breakneck speed with which the player is rushed from ending to ending, and the matter-of-fact tone the game reports your “bad” endings. “You died. Wanna play again?”

Remarks for James:

-Sometimes an item appeared out of nowhere (the flashlight you use to search the kitchen cabinets, or the garden shears). You could make these little search-quests for the player by subdividing the scenes and adding a few links in between.

—Dr. John
Such a great moment when understanding dawned on me and I could bring IXI into the light! This game sets up a confusing, even somewhat disturbing atmosphere, challenging the player to think outside the screen. A very effective and disorienting use of the player/author/character triangle.

Remarks for Dr. John:

-Just a bit of tweaking the layout perhaps? The list of things “the player” forgot/neglected to do can become a bit hard to read.

Advice for all:

Try to find a native English speaker to proofread the translations. The language errors in no way hindered the fun, but it would add just that extra bit of polish if they were corrected. To be sure, the English was good in all these entries.

I really enjoyed these works! I hope the authors enjoyed making them as much as I liked playing them, and that they might consider exploring the possibilities of writing IF further.

8 Likes
  • Insomnia: Twenty-Six Adventures after Dark

What a welcome surprise! I expected this to be an elaborate joke game, where you die in various hilarious/gruesome ways a link or two removed from the start-screen. The fact that the intro-screen already offered a bunch of non-official endings strengthened my belief that this game was going to be a riff on unnecessarily complex choice games that tap into the human brain’s tendency to collect-'em-all.

And yes, Insomnia does that. It does it extremely well, with various bonuses and achievements handed out as you reach more endings. (I liked being able to change the subtitle!)

But!

I’m actually very impressed by the depth, detail, and variety of the stories. The author obviously was invested in treating the branching narratives as interesting premises in their own right, following through on the player’s choices to their ultimate, sometimes extremely zany, sometimes thriller-serious, consequences.

The writing is engaging and considered, another sign that the stories are a serious matter (silly as they may be), not just a way to get the player to groan at the next failure. I found myself strongly captivated by a few of the pathways through the piece. Among the other well-written storylets, these stood out for me as blueprints for exciting short stories or games on their own. (Discovering the Fraud; The Quest to the Monastery; Falling for the Vampire were my favourites.)

If I may add a small nitpick, even the more serious storylets (the witness protection thread for example) are told in the same fast-paced humorous voice as the zaniest ones. These more tense pieces might benefit from a shift in tone to reflect the actual sorrow they cause the protagonist. (2 cents to be picked up or ignored, of course.)

A great ending-hunt with hidden depths.

9 Likes

Well this jumped out on re-read [emph mine]! Why are you wart-shaming our hex-positive sorcerHERs this way??? Fran would be dismayed. :]

1 Like

Tuttut… Don’t get your knickers in a twist.

Fran enjoys a blanky in the rocking chair and a nice cup of hot cocoa in front of the fireplace just as much as anyone. Particularly any witch’s familiar. Tiring and spark-filled nights, you see?

As long as it hasn’t got any of those teenytiny half-molten marchmellows in it. Those paste her beak shut.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your review! I’m glad you enjoyed my game.

4 Likes

I keep sharing the Mirror reviews with my students and I must confess I’ve been checking IF for some time hoping to see an entry from you. Thank you for such an enthusiastic approach - your notes feel burning hot and spontaneous as if written on one breath directly after finishing your reading. I am deeply impressed. And thanks for the hints. They will come handy both for the authors and me as their tutor. We are just deciding on the topic for our next year’s entry and even though I am sure the team here will come up with clever ideas, perhaps I may add some yours in our raffle hat :slight_smile: Or whoever elses here, when I come to think of it:) A really nice piece of reading. Thanks again.

11 Likes

Very glad to be helpful. I hope my short impressions can add a small bit to the obvious motivation that is already there. My enthusiasm mirrored the enthusiasm I read in the entries.

Good to hear the group is planning ahead to a fresh bout of writing next year. New voices are always more than welcome.

4 Likes
  • Repeat the Ending

Review: Repeat the Ending ; IF Reviews and Essays (intfiction.org)

6 Likes
  • Lady Thalia & The Masterpiece of Moldavia

Oh lovely Lady Thalia,

Thrice now have I followed you on heistly endeavours, thrice besotted by your guileful charm. Your elegant wit, your swiftness of thought and body never fail to dazzle and delight.

I am destined to admire you from afar, loving you who loves the arts. You whose love rages, burns inside but never is let out. I write across space, time, through realms of different realities.

I cannot… I can only hope to accompany you, aid you on a new heist. Somewhen…

Until then, lovely Lady Thalia,

Rovarsson

10 Likes

Thanks so much for the comprehensive review! Indeed the piece was rushed even for a back garden entry, due to time constraints (and yes, the particular puzzle with the water was a last minute -can i make this work- issue), but i’m hoping for a fuller experience down the line, hopefully for ifcomp.

I’m casually copying the entire review to use as a checklist of improvements, but i do have one question. Did you find at any dissonances in writing style in the game? I’m curious to see if the entirely machine-made bits stand out.

1 Like

I did know from the game description on the Spring Thing page that there is machine-generated text in the game. However, while playing I completely forgot about this. I wasn’t on the lookout for stylistic disjunctions, but in my playthrough I never noticed anything that broke the natural flow of the story or the style.