Rovarsson's EctoComp Impressions

The season’s ghoulish darkness has spread its wings and embraced me. The wind is howling, a red moon is peeking through the clouds.
I must speak of the horrors on this page:
Submissions to ECTOCOMP 2023

An eerie tale presented as a quiz. Many things are left unsaid, open to the reader’s interpretation. I sat awhile in silence, trying to imagine what happened to the characters in the gaps of the narrative. Then retreating from the horrors hiding between the lines.
Sometimes the horror-story is more soothing than the truth.

Note to author: I kept stumbling over the word “narrator” in the questions. Shouldn’t that be “protagonist”? Except if the narrator is the protagonist, talking about herself in the 2nd person?

9 Likes

Thank you so much for this impressions/review! Excited to read the rest of your thread.

Note-to-author response below!

Oh, great catch! I'm going to think on that. You're right, it leaves room for confusion. Oddly I do feel like the passages are being narrated by the protagonist, just in the second person (trauma distance)? But would a multiple choice test acknowledge it that way, as opposed to the accurate 'protagonist'? Much to think about.
3 Likes
  • Your Body a Temple, or the Postmodern Prometheus by Charm Cochran (@OverThinking )

Humanity: 20% / Monstrosity: 60% / Roboticism: 20% / Repulsiveness: 60%

Rebuild yourself, mix and match to your heart’s content. They have broken you. Now do you wish to lash out or protect yourself? Maybe a bit of both? The gentle doctor-voice will help you.
An intruiging process to consider my choices, and to ask myself why I picked precisely those options. I chose branches over scissorhands…

Note to author: “Your arms are ancient, ever-growing brnaches.” → braNches

7 Likes
  • Ah Lim’s Chicken Rice by Kastel (@Kastel)

Sweet and sour tale of ghosts. A daughter passing through. Notes of humour from a Ming vase, haunting for the closed-mind mother. A father dedicated to his girl.

Sudden understanding. Relief and grief rolled into one.

5 Likes

This one hurt. Bad.

It taps into the one fear I have above all others, the only real horror I can imagine in my personal life. My chest tightened and my eyes teared up. I feel so much of what Lucas’ father is going through. And, like him, it’s so hard to feel what’s in Lucas’ thoughts and feelings, deep down.

A father can only try to do his best…

I did encounter a bunch of typos. They took me out of the experience a bit.

Typos:

Christ, this pile of picture books your aunt gave Lucas for his last birthday. As if Lucas was going to be into the moralistic tales of a raccoon. You’re glad he never got around to reading them to him. → She (the aunt)

About doing what right for your kids, even–no, espcially when they can’t see the big picture. → what’S ; espEcially

Secure the perimIter, Daddy! → perimEter

but the symbols you printed off are still leDgible. → legible

Your chest is tight and your distorted reflectionS stares back at you. → reflection (singular)

He’ll never loOse that eternal sense of adventure. → lose

“Yep,” Lucas his says, his voice a sigh like the creaking of the house. “Love you back, Daddy.” → remove first “his”

They get the unexpcted goodbye if they’re lucky and that’s it. → unexpEcted

Who are you doinT this for? Lucas or yourself? → doinG

But everyone grieves in the own way. → theIR

4 Likes

Strange and disorienting. A vignette floating in a near-void, only loosely connected to time and space through sparse references to him

I found myself projecting all kinds of half-formed interpretations onto this piece, ultimately rejecting them and letting it be what it is.

Strange and disorienting. And good.

4 Likes
  • The Loneliest House by Tabitha O’Connel (@alyshkalia)

Layers.
Fence, door, dome.
Wood and paint, intricate carvings and ironwork designs.
Longing, imagination, indifference to all else.
A writer, a reader, a character, a house.

Peel them off one by one.
Look harder, feel deeper.
Become…

A meditative, transcendent exploration of the house on the hill.

3 Likes

Button-mashing text-style! Bring it!

The biggest skeleton of all is the game itself. White-boned and bare-knuckled, laughing its grinning skull off while hurling monsters at you.

I had fun.

4 Likes

Quick question: How do I play THAT WHICH IS EXEMPT FROM RESURRECTION ?

You need an Android Device or an emulator. There is a comment on the Jam entry page (actually replying to me) with an emulator that will open the APK file.
EDIT: here

1 Like

Thanks!

• End Of History by n2n (@n-n )

>Feed Kabbalic formula into ZX Spectrum
----bzzzt-click-beep-bzzzt----
(Timeline properly out of whack)

>Crawl tiny dungeon
>Fix time

Rinse and repeat if so inclined.

This was impressive in its totally cool-played understatement of the subject.

Typo: “In all the buldings, live more families like yours,…” → buildings; (not so sure about the comma after buildings either)

5 Likes
  • ~~~~Into Darkness~~~~ by Jacic (@Jacic)

A tale of sorrow,
And comfort sought
Between the trees, by mirror pool,

This author has
Intently wrought.
Voice of shade and waters cool.

A ragged rhyme,
I’m out of time,
Ripples close above my head.

The sun is gone,
I have no rock
to cling to here…

Am I now dead?

4 Likes

Deeply, deeply disturbing. Nightmare stuff between the lines. The horrors of what’s left unsaid.

My mind took an associative leap to What’s He Building? by Tom Waits.

4 Likes

Oh wow that’s amazing the way you’ve responded to the game in kind. Thanks @Rovarsson!

1 Like
  • ConfigurationUploader by Autumn Chenn (@cchennnn)

----hah! My meat-self thinks she’s real! that farting bag of bones and fluids. i wish her and all the other meat bags a happy starburst! ----

----h…hh ello?.. I can’t hear… Is… is anybody out there? Anyone with a body I mean? could you pull the plug? please…I can’t…my hands are gone…this isn’t how I imagined…----

----oooh… I like this bodyless thing… it’s… floaty. when I had meaty bits he was always aching… heh, floaty…----

----So, how far are we with the updates? We’re gonna need some physical interaction interface if we want to gamma-proof the servers, people.----

----look mommy, no hands!----

4 Likes

Short but effectively scary. I didn’t find a way to save her. Maybe it wasn’t in God’s plan.

The setting does a lot of heavy lifting. It’s hard to find a place more filled with fear than the Temple of Kathol.

Great writing. Moody while terse, well-chosen highlighted details, good characterisation in few paragraphs.

----gestures the sign of the cross----

May you Walk in Peace.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, I’m glad you liked it!

1 Like
  • Meurtre dans la Station Spatiale by MaximeJr (@maximejr ?)

In the not too distant future, a biotechnologically enhanced judicial registrar puts the protagonist, a newly appointed detective, to the test by asking his opinion about a notable case in the early beginnings of spatial jurisdiction. While on the ride up to the space station in a space elevator (!coolest thing ever!). Better than softly droning musak, if I may say so…

Through his implants, the registrar can provide all reports in evidence in the case of a 1998 death (murder) in the ISS.
Careful, meticulous combing through these documents is necessary to form an opinion. In the end, inform the registrar of your judgment.

I liked this. A but dry, but that fits the subject matter. Thought-provoking too, with different national space agencies involved, raising questions about jurisdiction in space, power struggles and conflicting interests in space.

A straight-up murder mystery … in space.

4 Likes

Thanks for the review! That’s it, you basically summed up the game…

2 Likes