[Rosebush] Interview with manonamora

Sophia and manon are two cool cats at the forefront of a cyberfiction explosion. But can their online community survive a JAM-packed gaming schedule?! Tune in and find out!!

Game Jams’ Influence on Interactive Fiction: an Interview with manonamora

Seriously, though, this is a lovely interview: go read it.

31 Likes

Great read! Thank you, @sophia and @manonamora , for this glimpse into your minds.

(Oh, and @JoshGrams ? Great tension in that superhero-comic-style cliffhanging teaser!)

12 Likes

Thanks @slugzuki :green_heart:

12 Likes

Yay! I’m so happy this is up- I had a great time with Manon, and working with Mike as our primary editor was fantastic. Both of them are lovely people, and I thoroughly enjoyed the process of putting together this interview. If anyone’s thinking about pitching an article, or submitting a finished piece- I’d encourage you to definitely do so! The submission process was super straightforward, and it was a blast.

12 Likes

What a lovely interview. The friendship & respect these 2 have for each other and for the medium is palpable. Thanks for this!

11 Likes

4839-cat-blush 4839-cat-blush 4839-cat-blush

6 Likes

Manon is one of my dearest friends, and it has been both an honour and a pleasure to both foster the Neo-Interactives space with her, and simply to enjoy her company- in or outside of our TTRPG campaigns. I’m very lucky to be a part of her life, and I’m glad for it. She’s very sweet, and her companionship means a lot to me. I love her lots.

As for IF- well, that’s okay too. :wink:

10 Likes

:sob:
I am delighted and honoured to call you my friend too, kitten :green_heart:

8 Likes

Yeah, that wasn’t me; I doubt I could have pulled off writing that. But I dropped this post last-minute as I was heading off to do something else and didn’t stop to ask how/if Kit wanted to be credited, oops!

8 Likes

Great read! And The Rosebush is a fantastic magazine. I’m glad it keeps going from strength to strength.

11 Likes

Ah…

Kudos to @slugzuki then!

8 Likes

Very nice. Thank you.

5 Likes

haha no credit needed!! glad people enjoyed it, I’m excited to read the interview :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Congratulations to Sophia, Manon, Kit and the rest of the team! Your efforts at making IF popular have not been in vain. “bringing new blood and new perspectives to the medium, building bridges between the different IF communities and IF forms…” - this is also my vision for what IF would be like for the new generation. I am thankful for having these people in this community, to explore behind the scenes of the monthly jams etc. This is who we are, and this will always be part of what we become.

2 Likes

@manonamora I like the idea of the bare-bones jam and would like to participate if it’s done again, but if I’m building my own IF engine, how would that work? If I make UI changes after the jam starts, I can’t use them for the game I make in the jam?

The Jam will probably start again in October, like last year.

IIRC we had custom engine/format then. As long as it’s clear to see that you are using the unedited interface of the engine/format. Though we would like to see that interface ahead of time.

That would be unfair to other participants to allow it.

Like the interview explains, the point of this jam is not to achieve a polish state through a fancy interface or text customisation, but only focus on the content itself (i.e. the text). This is what we mean by bare. Strip it all to the core of IF (i.e. the text).
You can see all the rules and past entries on itch.io.

3 Likes