Revenge of the Return of the Son of Comp Reviews

Hello, everyone! Would you like some more reviews of comp games? That’s a silly question, of course you would. While tons of more eloquent and knowledgeable people have already written reviews of this game, I am sure you cannot rest until you know what I think about them.

These are first impressions, often written in part while I was actually playing the game, and as such are a bit rough around the edges. Later, when I’m not in comp-judging Must Play All Games As Fast As Possible! mode and have been able to spend a bit more time with the games, I may tidy at least some of these reviews up and post them to IFDB.

Eurydice
One-sentence summary: After the suicide of a friend, the protagonist descends into a hospital-like Underworld in the hopes of getting her back.

My thoughts:

Some evocative descriptions, great atmosphere. Sometimes a little too self-consciously poetic,and overwrought, but that may be intentional, since the PC seems to have artistic pretensions. All four of the endings felt like appropriate conclusions to the story, although of course some are more hopeful than others. Somewhat shoddy proofreading (lots of missing punctuation, some misspellings) occasionally disrupts the mood. All things considered, though, a nicely poignant take on the old myth.

Andromeda Apocalypse
One-sentence summary: You are the Sole Survivor of the catastrophe that wiped out your planet, and now you’re stuck on an ancient, crumbling spaceship as your galaxy collapses around you.

My thoughts:

This sprawling and cinematic sci-fi piece feels like it wants to be a graphical game. There are the achievements, of course, but more than that, its whole design philosophy seems to belong to that medium, with the sparse implementation (most rooms contain nothing you can interact with, or only one or two big things) and prevalence of “cutscenes”. The plot is intriguing, though in parts confusing for me as I haven’t played the first game. Contains space whales.

In A Manor of Speaking
One-sentence summary: In A World where everything is a silly pun, you are a guy trying to deliver a bag to some other guy.

My thoughts:

I like a good wordplay game, but this one didn’t work for me. The puzzles were for the most part too simple to give any real sense of accomplishment, and the puns were groan-worthy in the bad way. It also felt a little directionless–I had no real idea what I was trying to accomplish at any given time or why, besides “well, I haven’t solved this puzzle yet, I guess I should do that?” It’s smooth, not buggy, and devoid of SPAG errors, and it might appeal to someone else’s sense of humor, but I didn’t find it much fun. As a caveat, though, I did play this before the 10/18 update and have not looked at the new and improved version.

Shuffling Around
One-sentence summary: At a boring professional conference, you duck down a side hallway and find yourself in a magical kingdom which you must save with the power of anagrams.

My thoughts:

This is a good wordplay game. It’s clever and challenging, and while the plot is more of a thin pretext for the puzzles, it was generally clear where I needed to go and what I needed to do in what order. While occasionally a little too in love with its gimmick (sometimes I had to read the room descriptions a few times over to properly understand them), it was thoroughly entertaining and the puzzles were well-constructed. I enjoyed it very much.

The Sealed Room
One-sentence summary: For nebulous reasons, a wizard has trapped you in a room with a dragon and a unicorn.

My thoughts:

[spoiler]Given the traditional escape-the-room setup, The Sealed Room seems very much like it wants to be a puzzle game, but the only real “puzzle” can be solved by exhausting the entire list of conversation topics with both the dragon and the unicorn and then taking a couple of other actions that the game pretty much flat-out tells you to do. I don’t mind puzzlelessness or trivially easy puzzles in a game that’s more story-focused or character-focused, but The Sealed Room didn’t appear to be either one. There’s not much plot here, and while the dragon and the unicorn are distinct characters and are funny at times, they’re not exactly deep.

Then there’s the conversation issue. Conversation in IF is hard to do well–I’ve struggled with it myself on the programming end of things–but from a conversation-based game in 2012, I expect more than a linear list of topics that you can just plow straight through, with almost none of them opening up further conversation paths and none, as far as I can tell, affecting responses to asking about other topics in any way. Not every conversation game can be, say, Galatea or Alabaster, but this wasn’t even Shadows on the Mirror.

I do think the idea of being stuck in a small space with a pompous unicorn and a short-tempered dragon who don’t especially like each other has some promise. I could see an interesting game coming out of that (maybe you have to mediate between them? Get them to work together so you can all get out of there?), but this one just didn’t go much of anywhere.[/spoiler]

Signos
One-sentence summary: Apparently you’re in the afterlife and trying to figure out the Meaning Of It All by imitating wise men of various religious persuasions. Or something like that.

My thoughts:

I feel bad for criticizing the grammar, since English is clearly not the author’s first language, but it really is distractingly bad. Comprehensible, for the most part, but it’s hard to get immersed in the story when you keep coming across oddly structured sentences and poorly conjugated verbs. That said, that isn’t really the game’s only problem: the puzzles are repetitive, the philosophical element is ham-fisted, and the implementation is a little too sparing–there are things mentioned in the room description that aren’t implemented or that return a “you see nothing special about the _____” response. When there are descriptions of objects, they’re often rather bland or redundant–when I examine a “big tree”, getting the response “Its like a giant tree [sic]” is amusing, but unhelpful. (Though to be fair, that description does go on to say “Its branches extend to the sky. You can’t see the top from here”). Also, you can’t “talk to” any of the numerous NPCs or “ask… about” anything (you get the response “it says nothing”), although examining the NPC in question might give you a bit of dialogue with them. All in all, it’s… well, it’s a would-be philosophical first effort from someone whose grasp on the English language is shaky, with about the level of polish that one would expect under those circumstances. Again, however, I have not played the most recent updated version.

Living Will
One-sentence summary: The player takes the role of one of four beneficiaries of the interactive will of a man who made his fortune mining tantalum in the Congo.

My thoughts:

This choice-based tale of will-wrangling, colonialism, and conflict minerals is darkly funny (well, sometimes just dark) and has slick presentation and a lot of personality, but having played through it multiple times with each character, I still feel like I’m missing something. I couldn’t figure out how any of the choices affected the numbers in the sidebar or the percentages bequeathed at the end. Was I not supposed to care? What was I even trying to accomplish? I’m not really sure.

Spiral
One-sentence summary: Two characters, trapped on a train and unable to recall how they got there, navigate separate but interconnected dreamworlds to regain their memories.

My thoughts:

[spoiler]Story-heavy, but with an interesting puzzle element involving collaboration between the two POV characters between whom the player can switch at any time. Both the PCs were well-developed and likeable, though flawed, characters, with crumbs of backstory meted out at intervals in a way that kept me interested throughout. Though both characters’ stories deal with some heavy issues, the game never came across as heavy-handed, judgmental, or lecturing. The writing was solid and evocative, and the dream worlds especially had some striking imagery, as well as contributing to an understanding of the characters, what they fear, and what’s important to them. Once I figured out the rules of the dream-logic, puzzle solutions were logical, except possibly for the one at the very end, which I had to check the walkthrough for. Implementation was good (I am terrible with names, so was very pleased in the beginning to find that it would accept commands like “be the other guy”, “be the person opposite”, “be the woman”, etc.) and I didn’t encounter any major bugs.

All that being said, however, my opinion on the game was soured slightly by the ending(s), which made no sense whatsoever to me. I’m all for surreal imagery and leaving things a bit open-ended, but this ending just felt weird and impenetrable for the sake of being weird and impenetrable and I couldn’t begin to get a handle on it, even on a symbolic level. It was a very unsatisfying conclusion to an otherwise interesting and enjoyable story.[/spoiler]

A Killer Headache
One-sentence summary: The zombie apocalypse has occurred, and you are a zombie, in search of brains to eat as your body slowly falls apart.

My thoughts:

This game has many good points, including a very thoroughly modelled world and some real pathos leavened by bits of humor, but it is really, frustratingly difficult and in some parts even resorting to the walkthrough didn’t seem to help. Maybe it’s just me being Bad At Things, but I found juggling all the things that wanted to kill me next to impossible, and I quickly got sick of being eaten by zombie schoolchildren. It’s not a bad game by any means; like I said, the world modelling is pretty impressive, the writing is good, and I didn’t find any bugs. But I didn’t find it fun to play, and I was not able to finish it in two hours, because I kept getting eaten by zombie schoolchildren.

Escape from Summerland
One-sentence summary: So, a ghost, a monkey, and a killer robot walk into an abandoned circus…

My thoughts:

[spoiler]The game begins with a weird bit of mood whiplash: the tone of the intro seems very serious in its description of the air raid, but then we go straight into the ghost character saying things like “oh my giddy aunt!” and Jacquotte the monkey’s silly animal-speak with emoticons (which seemed a little unnecessary). The rest of the game settles into a sort of balance between twee presentation and a sense of melancholy lurking beneath the surface, which works a bit better.

As in Spiral, the puzzles in this game mostly revolve around switching between PCs so they can help each other do things, but it feels less smooth here, largely, I think, because the characters usually have to all be in the same place at the same time, and as they don’t automatically follow one another, you end up doing a lot of “c ghost. w. c robot. w. c monkey. w,” which is kind of a pain. There’s a certain charm to the different narrative viewpoints, emoticons aside, and while not amazingly complicated, some of the puzzles are interesting. But in the end my feelings towards it are more lukewarm than enthusiastically positive, mostly because of all the irritating maneuvering of the three PCs.[/spoiler]

More to come at some unspecified point in the future.

… and by “some unspecified point in the future” I apparently meant “over a week after the actual end of the comp”. My life got really busy, and I just didn’t find a moment to get around to editing my scattered notes into… slightly less scattered notes and post them here until now. Uh, better late than never, right?

Castle Adventure:

Some jerks have thrown a princess into a dungeon–are you a bad enough dude to rescue the princess, Generic Adventure Person?

[spoiler]This is an old-school throwback: minimal description, minimal implementation, no “undo”, rendering the game unwinnable a real possibility, inventory management, sort of illogical puzzle solutions, mazes. It isn’t as sadistic as the games it’s pastiching could be (the maze, particularly, I thought was handled in a way that caused minimal frustration), and benefits from Inform 7 understanding more synonyms and abbreviations than older parsers did, so it was a lot more accessible than it could have been. I have little nostalgia for those days myself–I came to text adventures/IF too late for that–so it wasn’t really my cup of tea, but I know some people really like this kind of thing, so I should probably not judge it too harshly.

That being said, I do feel the need to comment on the fact that I couldn’t really tell whether this was meant to be a straight-up faithful reproduction of that type of game, or a parody of it. The ending, in which it’s revealed that the princess had been put in the dungeon of her own castle by her father for not eating her vegetables and getting the best ending turns out to be based entirely on a random unintuitive action with no logical bearing on the events of the ending at all, feels parodic, but up until that point, the game seems fairly uncritical of the old tropes that it’s using. The old adventure games it’s emulating could be pretty tongue-in-cheek and silly themselves, but even so, it seemed like a bit of a weird tone shift. Also, at the risk of being That Person, I must say I didn’t care for the princess being an unintelligent, easily-frightened damsel (who, with the “wouldn’t eat her vegetables” thing, is either very childish or awfully young to be getting married).[/spoiler]

Changes:

After a near-fatal spaceship crash on a strange planet, you find yourself in the body of a rabbitlike alien, and must take over the bodies of various other types of native fauna in turn.

[spoiler]I thought the writing in this game was lovely and the concept was interesting, but I spent about my first hour of playtime completely unable to figure out what I was supposed to be doing. The adaptive hint system was so vague as to be no actual help at all. Finally, in frustration, I consulted the walkthrough, and learned that I was apparently supposed to be luring small animals to their deaths in order to possess their bodies. Okay, then? Maybe I’m just not that bright, but I feel that that aspect could have been better telegraphed. Yes, in retrospect, there was that bit with the rabbits and cocoons at the beginning, but I thought that was just by way of an explanation of what had happened to the PC, not a hint that I was supposed to keep killing things in order to merge with them.

It is also the third game I’ve played in this comp that has involved something chasing me and trying to eat me, and I have come to the conclusion that I don’t like that very much. Maybe for someone whose IF strategy involves less “faff about trying silly things until something works/you figure out what you’re supposed to do” than mine does, but for my part I feel like I can’t get anything done when something is chasing me around all set to devour me if I faff about too long (and, in this case, I keep having to drop what I’m doing and go to the beaver dam/burrows to hide and wait for the fox to go away).

I know this is all sounding very negative, but I really wanted to love Changes. I was impressed by the vibrant, living world it created and all the NPCs with their own motivations and interactions, and I was interested in its sci-fi worldbuilding. Sadly, that just made the unintuitiveness of the gameplay all the more frustrating. I got stuck while playing as the fox in a way where even the walkthrough was unhelpful, and ultimately was unable to finish the game within the allotted two hours.[/spoiler]

Kicker:

You are a kicker on a football team and must kick the ball, despite your teammates’ lack of respect for you. Hooray?

[spoiler]I know little to nothing about American football, and am in general deeply apathetic towards it. Kicker thankfully did not require me to know anything about the sport in order to complete the game, but I still feel like I didn’t really get the joke. I mean, there were funny moments, but I still feel like this is gently poking fun at football and the culture surrounding it in a way that I would appreciate more if I had ever paid any attention to a football game in my life.

Gameplay-wise, this belongs to the small subgenre of “games in which you can’t really do anything because your character is such a sadsack”. Oh, sure, you can refuse to run onto the field or run on the field at the wrong time and generally be a pain in the neck, but you can’t do anything that makes any meaningful impact–whether your team wins or loses seems to be more or less random, and whether any given kick scores points certainly is. There’s also a lot of waiting around for your turn to run onto the field, which gets kind of tedious–I think that’s the point, of course, but it still didn’t really contribute positively to my experience.

All things considered, Kicker was funny at times and generally not a bad game, but it’s hard for me to really pass judgment on it given that it didn’t feel like I was its intended audience.[/spoiler]

Sunday Afternoon:

You are a young boy in Victorian England stuck with your stuffy old aunt and uncle on a gloriously sunny Sunday afternoon, trying to slip out from under their noses and go have some fun outside.

[spoiler]I loved the atmosphere here, and the game had a charming sense of humor and handled its child protagonist well and believably, without making him either a miniature adult or excessively immature for his age. I loved the little hints that Stuffy Aunt and Uncle have more to them than meets the eye, which the protagonist misses but the player can still pick up on (I spent a lot of time going through the bookshelf in the study). The appearance of the frame story in which the main game is a storytelling game the protagonist is playing with his trenchmates in WWI took me by surprise and lends a certain poignancy to an otherwise fairly fluffy game.

One of the puzzles here (getting your aunt and uncle out of the study) was a little obtuse and the ending was somewhat abrupt, but all things considered, I enjoyed this game a lot.

(I played the most recent version, updated 10/30.)[/spoiler]

The Island:

There’s a guy… and he’s on an island… and some puzzles happen?

Writing is mostly competent but kind of uninspired, with some SPaG errrors; seemed lacking in any real impetus for the PC to do anything; hints/walkthrough not well integrated. I was really not sure what the point of the whole thing was supposed to be.

J’dal:

A cranky teenaged drow is dragged by her adoptive dad to lead a party of humans through a dark mine in search of an artifact.

[spoiler]Despite the high-fantasy setting, presence of dark elves, and names with apostrophes in them, J’dal feels more grounded than is usual for its genre, with a very strongly characterized protagonist who gives the impression of being an ordinary cranky teenager being dragged along on some stupid errand of her dad’s. An errand which in this case happens to involve retrieving a magical artifact, but none the less annoying to our protagonist, for all that. I really enjoyed her voice and the little glimpses of her relationship with her dad.

Unfortunately, however, the game is so short that it feels like it’s over just as it’s getting started, and the main mechanic of telling/asking your party members to do things didn’t work out well for me, with most of the things I tried to say to them not being implemented. I would love to see a longer, more polished version of this somewhere down the line.[/spoiler]

Last Minute:

Okay, it’s a low-effort My Shitty Apartment game. But it’s a low-effort My Shitty Apartment game where your choices can result in a scene of Pac-Man fighting Thom Yorke, and there is something to be said for that.

Honestly, despite its… speed-IF sensibility, shall we say, and its worn-out premise, I found Last Minute more enjoyable than several other games I’ve played this comp that clearly had more effort put into them, especially after getting past the My Shitty Apartment segment into the game-within-a-game. Some of the humor is admittedly juvenile, but some of it is fairly inventive and delightfully absurd. I had fun playing it.

Valkyrie:

I think IF as a method for teaching English/writing is an interesting approach, and the students who created this game had some creative ideas. However, I feel that as a school project, this game really shouldn’t have been submitted to the comp, and I don’t feel I can score it.

howling dogs:

A person locked in a small set of slowly-deteriorating rooms maintains sanity by going through a series of increasingly elaborate virtual realities, most dealing with intersections between being a woman, power, and societal expectations.

[spoiler]Having read the blurb and not much cared for it, I was all set to find the game unbearably pretentious*, but in fact I rather liked it. It’s an intriguing game with some lovely, poetic writing; the stories sketched out in the virtual-reality segments give you just enough to leave you wanting more. The non-VR segments were repetitive and dull in a way that must have been intentional, but intentionally inducing boredom/annoyance in your audience is a fine line to walk. Nevertheless, those segments were short enough that I didn’t quit the game in frustration.

I did feel like it didn’t end so much as just… stop, but I’ve only played through once and there are apparently multiple endings, so maybe some of them feel more final.

• Well, maybe “pretentious” is not the right word; I like a lot of things that other people consider “pretentious” due to experimental structures or very layered storytelling or fancy language or what have you. I just don’t like it when things try to look deep without having anything of substance to say. Which I thought might end up being the case here, but it wasn’t, in my opinion.[/spoiler]

Transit:

Lost in an airport in a foreign country where you don’t speak the language, you have to find the friend you’re travelling with.

I liked the concept of this one–I’ve long toyed with the idea of doing a “lost in a foreign country where you don’t speak the language” game myself. As a veteran traveller, I definitely found that some of the observations of the universal qualities of airports resonated with me. The game fell flat for me, however, once I tried to go through security and found that someone had planted a knife and some drugs on the PC (why? If he wanted to smuggle drugs, surely he’d be better off not also planting a metal object which would set off the detectors? Did he have some grudge against the PC?). And then I learned that apparently the thing to do in such a case is not to attempt to calmly explain the situation, but to take off running and then tackle some random guy. I was probably supposed to be suspending my disbelief, but the game up to that point had not really prepared me for that level of unreality, and it really threw me.

Body Bargain:

The surgery to get the slender, perfect body you’ve always wanted was too expensive, so now you have to assist the surgeon who operated on you until you pay off your debt.

[spoiler]The subtitle is “A Tale of Transhumanism”, but I don’t think that’s quite accurate; it’s more a tale of societal beauty standards and the way that we–women most of all, but men as well–damage ourselves in pursuit of them. Or at least, that was the way it seemed to me, but I may be wrong; the inclusion of the patient who belongs to a much-maligned internet subculture muddies the waters somewhat, as he is definitely not conforming to societal expectations of any kind. But the purpose of this review isn’t really to unpack what I thought Body Bargain’s message was and how I felt about it; perhaps I’ll do that later, when I’ve been able to spend more time with the game.

That being said, it was a game that really stuck with me, that I spent a lot of time thinking about after I walked away from it, and there’s certainly something to be said for that. It has an interesting premise, and I love how many possible paths there are to take, although I wish there were some way to escape and get your sister out without murdering the doctor. I also wish that the sister were more strongly characterized and interactable–the main character’s memories of her in the ending where you go through with her surgery were very touching, and I would have liked more of that to have showed up before I had to make that choice. I didn’t run into many implementation problems–I think the 10/30 update must have fixed a number of the things previous reviewers have complained about–although I did have some issues with doors (being told I couldn’t walk through them because they were closed, and then being told that I couldn’t open them because they would open automatically). Other than that, though, gameplay was mostly pretty smooth.

I definitely found this an interesting game and one I’ll probably come back to later (I don’t think I’ve gotten all the endings yet).[/spoiler]

Fish Bowl:

A drunken beachcomber finds a strange fish bowl in his shack. Then things start to get really strange…

This game was somewhat unpolished–lots of mentioning Thing X in the main body of the room description and then having “you can see Thing X here” at the end, for one thing. A few other issues I remember encountering: when I typed “play message” in the scene with the answering machine, the resulting message printed twice for some reason, and the response to “x me” misspells the character’s name. Despite these things, however, I found the game a rather effective piece of horror fiction. It does a great job establishing a bleak, foreboding mood with fairly minimal description, and the slowly dawning realization of what’s actually going on is excellent. It has a vaguely Lovecraftian feeling (maybe it’s just all the sea creatures), but in a very restrained way. Technical issues aside, I liked it.

Guilded Youth:

[spoiler]Played this after the 11/11 update.

Definitely an ‘80s nostalgia game, but one that worked for me despite the fact that I’m too young to have any ‘80s nostalgia to speak of, since the focus was more on adolescence, growing up, and the friendships between a bunch of assorted misfits who have bonded over fantasy roleplaying games. The visual presentation is very slick, and the characters are very distinct and engaging. The way in which their internet personas represent what they’d like to be is clear without being cliche or heavy-handed. The story is funny and charming and gives a fleeting glimpse of an intriguing larger drama that the protagonist is not privy to.

The gameplay is entirely on-rails until the end, and that being the case I found myself wishing that there were some way, after my first playthrough, to skip straight to that last scene without having to slog through the whole game again. Not that it’s difficult, but it gets tedious to type in the same commands over and over again several times in a row and not see any new content until the last couple of paragraphs. That being said, well, I did go through it to see all the endings, because I really was curious about them, and in the end I enjoyed the game enough to offset my minor annoyance there.

(Added later: Okay, apparently there was a way to skip straight to the ending, but as I didn’t go looking for information on any of the comp games beyond what was on the voting page until after I was done playing them, I didn’t know that at the time. I also didn’t realize while playing that the multiple endings had been added later; I think I would definitely have enjoyed the game less had I played it before those were added.)

On a side note, I’m pretty sure Paula is the only transgender character I’ve ever seen in an IF game, and I feel her character was handled fairly respectfully, which I appreciated.[/spoiler]

The Test Is Now READY:

Strings together a bunch of ethical-dilemma thought experiments with the framing device that you are an AI being trained for interactions with the human world. It gives a nice amount of flavor and detail to each scenario, which helps to keep the not-very-new thought experiments interesting, but in the end I didn’t feel like the game was bringing very much to the table that had not been done before.

The Lift:

I was browsing through the reviews linked on the IFWiki page for this year’s comp, and I saw that someone over on the Russian IF forums said that this game reminded them of DOOM: Repercussions of Evil. It’s not quite that bad, but sadly it’s not quite that funny, either. It’s a very twelve-year-old boy kind of game. “You know what’s cool? Guns! And porn! And fighting zombies! Yeah!” The writing is very bare-bones and littered with errors. I didn’t care for the game much at all.

Murphy’s Law:

Attempting to mail a mortgage payment can be hazardous to your health.

Funny! But also, very fiddly. I guess I can see why the actions are so granular considering that this game is about how much can go wrong in the course of completing one mundane task, but some of it could probably have been done with implied actions. The game reminded me vaguely of Douglas Adams’ Bureaucracy in the way that said mundane task escalated into a huge, unlikely mess (the game doesn’t quite reach Adams’ level of inspired lunacy, but what does?). All things considered, I found it enjoyable, even though it was less streamlined than it could have been and even though the first time I tried to play it, the PC bled to death because I didn’t know where his bathroom was. That must have been some nasty papercut.

Irvine Quik and the Search for the Fish of Traglea:

A young spacefaring loser must travel to a planet full of cat-people to find a special fish because… I forget why.

A bit too determinedly wacky for my tastes, but not bad. The puzzles are reasonable, and the game makes good enough use of in-game hints that I had little reason to refer to the stylish PDF guide/walkthrough. I liked the ability to skip around between chapters, as well.

Lunar Base 1:

Some dudes go to the moon, all the standard space horror tropes ensue.

[spoiler]There are some nice bits of writing here, especially in terms of atmospheric descriptions of the lunar landscape, but there are also some clunkers like “You ask him about the flash you saw earlier. ‘Did you see that flashing, John?’” (Also, characters who are non-native speakers of English regularly saying simple words like “yes” and “no” in their native language is a pet peeve of mine. I’ve never known anyone to actually talk like that.)

My quibbles with the writing are fairly minor, really; my bigger problem with the game was that the pacing felt weirdly rushed. There wasn’t really time for the dread and the sense of something not being right to build; John goes straight from totally normal to totally crazy and then easily back to sanity after a single bop on the head. The protagonist contacts mission control right away at the first sign of trouble, which on the one hand is refreshingly sensible, but on the other hand, it feels like things are over before they really start (even with all the obelisk business). I feel like there are the seeds here of a fairly solid, if not especially innovative, bit of space horror, but it’s just not given enough time to actually develop.[/spoiler]

Authors are definitely glad to see more reviews, and I think we can understand if things run a little late. Because I know stuff I thought would take a couple days to program almost always took 3 or 4–after I thought I took delays into account. So I understand being on the other side of things.

Even as a non author in 2010 it was great to see reviews popping up in November.

So, nice going!

No no, it’s cool. That Person is a great person.

…also, near enough every review I saw. I’m sorry, but your princess is in another cultural paradigm.

Yeah, that’s the danger of posting your reviews a week after the comp ends and 2+ weeks after you originally wrote them–you end up not saying anything that hasn’t already been said. Ah, well.

Good work. Yeah I enjoyed reading these with even a little distance from the comp.

• Wade