Reassigning Directions

Hey, all. I’m very new at this, though I’ve played around with inform before (I’m new to I7). Here’s my quandry:

I’m trying to reassign the directions to be “forward, aft, port and starboard.” I’ve accomplished this by aliasing (Understand “forward” as north. Understand “f” as north. Understand “a” as south. … etc.).

This wall works well, except for abbreviating “starboard” as “s”:

s
Which do you mean, the south or the east?

Is there any way to completely overwrite “s”, so that it ONLY means move starboard? I would like to prevent the player from moving n, s, e, w while on board the ship.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer!

CP

CP

Have you tried Mikael Segercrantz’s extension “Shipboard Directions”? It’s on the I7 extensions site:

http://www.inform-fiction.org/I7/Download%20-%20Extensions.html#topic5

Skinny Mike

Thanks!

I guess I need to know how to include extensions. I could just copy and paste, but I bet there’s a more elegant way, no?

ChainsawPenguin

CP

Yeah,

I’m running I7 under windows, but the procedure should be similar whichever OS you’re using. Figure out which folder your extensions are in – in win it’s somewhere under the Inform 7 folder. You’ll see some names. Each ext. author has a folder with his or her name. If the author of the extension your dl-ing doesn’t already have a folder (I don’t believe Mikal has one in the standard package) create one. It must be the first and last name spelled exactly as it is listed in the file. Then download the file into that folder. You will need to restart I7, but when you do, that extension will be listed under the available extensions in the documentaion. After that you’ll be able to include it with the line “Include Blah Blah by Blah” or more easily, by clicking an icon in the documentation of the extension itself. (I think you’ll see what I mean, but if not, I’m online now.)
Skinny Mike

Hmm… well, when I click the link, it opens an html page. If I save the link, it saves it as an html page. What extension should the file have?

Thanks for all your help!!

CP

EDIT: GOT IT! Thanks a bunch!

CP

Under windows (let me know what you’re using on you’re next post), no extension. (i.e. no “.html” or “.txt”) Just leave it blank or delete the filename extension if you’ve already got one.

Skinny Mike

Thanks!