Quixe file-browsing feature

I just added a Quixe feature which has been on the to-do list for months: the ability to browse through your saved games, transcripts, and data files. You can delete files, and also display transcripts in a pop-up window. (Previously Quixe would allow you to save a transcript, but there was no way to get at the saved text.) The code is not yet in a release, but it’s checked into my github repository.

A demo of this: eblong.com/zarf/glulx/quixe/quix … ent.ulx.js

(Since this uses HTML localStorage, the “same origin” policy applies: you can only see stored files that were created from the same server domain. It will also conceal save files belonging to different games. Transcript and data files will always be visible.)

The interface is crude and not particularly pretty, but it should work. One obvious crudity is that it’s only accessible if the game pops up a file dialog – in other words, you have to type “save” or “restore” first and then push the “Edit” button in the top corner of the dialog. When you’re finished browsing, you can cancel out of the save/restore dialog.

I’ve tested this in current versions of Safari and Firefox. Let me know if it breaks for you.

This seems to work nicely in Firefox, but the game never opens in the latest Chrome (17.0.963.79) on Mac OS 10.6.8. No error messages in the developer console, the loading gif just keeps spinning…

It loads for me (same Chrome, OSX 10.7.3). I don’t think the OSX version is relevant – I developed Quixe under 10.5 and 10.6, and Chrome isn’t coupled to the OS version anyhow.

What does the Javascript console look like? I get:

gameurl: stories/Advent.ulx.js

is_relative=true, same_origin=true, binary_supported=true, crossorigin_supported=true

trying old-fashioned load…

done executing; path time = 33 ms

done executing; path time = 2 ms

Seems to work OK here on Linux with Firefox 10, Konqueror and Google Chrome 18.

I tried it on Chrome 17 and IE 8 on Windows XP. In both browsers, I was able to save, restore saved games, record transcripts, and view transcripts with no apparent problems.

I even bested some dwarves and found some treasure. :wink:

Hm, the javascript console outputs exactly nothing. All of the files seem to load, but apparently, things never get to the point where anything is output to the log.

Anticipating a question: Yes, the javascript console works on other sites. I have never had any trouble with Quixe in Chrome before, but I note that the following demos from zarf’s Quixe page are now giving me the same trouble I mentioned for the new demo (no javascript loading?):

eblong.com/zarf/glulx/quixe/quix … ent.ulx.js
eblong.com/zarf/glulx/quixe/quix … est.ulx.js
eblong.com/zarf/glulx/quixe/quix … .gblorb.js

The other demos in the main block work fine. Is there a common characteristic shared by these four links that might hint at an explanation?

Or maybe this is all just an issue specific to my machine, since others are reporting no problem using the same version of Chrome…

So the “I7 website template”, “Glulxercise”, and “Rover’s Day Out” links work, but the others fail?

It seems that the app is consistently failing for you when loading with a “?story=…” link. I don’t know what would cause that. (Do you recall testing those links before this month?)

Old files in your cache, Chrome extensions, funny privacy settings…?

Yes, that’s right.

Anyway, it looks like this problem is due to a conflict with a browser extension, Syntaxtic!

Huh. I’m glad you tracked that down. (Why would… no, I don’t want to know.)