Questions on how to preface my game.

I want to write a preface to my game that allows the player to peruse various materials(credits, author comments, possible hint files, etc) prior to beginning the game. I have a good idea of the format of what I want(possibly a dream sequence in a library). I want to be able to put the player in that sequence, and when s/he is done, s/he can proceed to the beginning of the game(by entering a one-way exit from the room and on to the beginning)–all before the banner is presented. I want the screen to clear, and then the banner appears, and play begins in earnest. Can I do this as a part of the ‘When play begins’ rule? Or do I simply change the rule for printing the banner, and use a ‘Before’ rule to write the initial text about the player waking up at the beginning of the game(followed by the description of his room)?
Thanks

1 Like

Here is an example game which gives the desired effect:

[rant=Code]Include Basic Screen Effects by Emily Short.

The Library is a room. “You can go outside, when you’re ready.'”.The Forest of Doom is a room.

The Forest of Doom is outside from the Library.

Before going outside from the Library:
say “You step out into the unknown…”;
clear the screen;

After going outside from the Library:
say “[banner text]”;

Rule for printing the banner text when the player is in Library: do nothing.[/rant]

Thanks Peregrine–
Will this extension work with a Glulx format?

Okay, I read about that extension, and it does work with Glulx(except for the screen color aspects). Now my question is, how do I find out if it interferes with my source code(I have essentially ‘finished’ the game and am adding features)? What if clearing the screen is all I really want from it? Thanks

I think that blocking the banner with the condition that the player is in the library is too restrictive: if the player types VERSION or TRANSCRIPT while in the library, the banner should still appear in my opinion.

I would do it like that:

[code]Include Basic Screen Effects by Emily Short.

The Library is a room. “You can go outside, when you’re ready.’”.
The Forest of Doom is outside from the Library.

Before going outside from the Library:
say “You step out into the unknown…”;
clear the screen;

After going outside from the Library:
say “[banner text]”;

The display banner rule is not listed in the startup rulebook.[/code]
In fact, I think the example “Bikini Atoll” should do the same thing.

As for Basic Screen Effects, I don’t think it can interfere with something.

Thanks–I may use that extension in a future game.