putting something _in_ something

Sorry all, just a quick question. I’m replacing the ‘put x in y’ and ‘put x on y’ constructs for various reasons.

The following :

Instead of putting something on something: say "You put the [noun] onto [if the second noun is anunnamedthing]the [end if][second noun], but it really shouldn't be there, so you pick it back up again.".
Works fine,

But the following:

Instead of putting something in something: say "You put the [noun] into [if the second noun is anunnamedthing]the [end if][second noun], but it really shouldn't be there, so you pick it back up again.".
Refuses to compile with the usual error message:
“You wrote ‘Instead of putting something in something’ , which seems to introduce a rule taking effect only if the action is ‘putting something in something’. But that did not make sense as a description of an action. I am unable to place this rule into any rulebook.”

Not sure what I’m doing wrong here. Is there a quirk I should be aware of.
n.b. I’ve tried “Instead of putting something inTO something” also

Thanks in advance,

Ade

I think the action is “inserting it into.”

Thanks, bg. Spot on.

For completeness, the following:

[code]Instead of putting something on something:
say “You put the [noun] onto [if the second noun is anunnamedthing]the [end if][second noun], but it really shouldn’t be there, so you pick it back up again.”.

Instead of inserting something into something:
say “You put the [noun] into [if the second noun is anunnamedthing]the [end if][second noun], but it really shouldn’t be there, so you pick it back up again.”.[/code]

Grrr…

Just for future reference, in a situation like this–you want to redirect a command but the action isn’t called what you think it’s called–one way to find out the action name is to start your project (without the offending code), type “ACTIONS” at the command line, and type “PUT THE LIME IN THE COCONUT” or whatever objects you have. This tells you which actions you’re performing, so it’ll print “[inserting the lime into the coconut].”

You can also look at the Index–select the “Actions” tab and then select “Commands.” This will give you all the commands you can type (or at least a lot of them?) and the actions they translate into; so it has a line:

1 Like