Punctuation help

I ran into an issue trying to set up a condition and my lack of knowledge about punctuation wasn’t helping. The code:

The description of Parlor_Wreckage is "A huge pile of broken concrete, rebar, furniture and more from the dorms upstairs. [if the player is Kevin]A monstrously large slab of concrete caps the wreckage.[otherwise if the player is Susie and Parlor_Wreckage is ClueDiscovered and Sam is trapped and NPCHelpedName is "Alison"][paragraph break]Alison's lamp revealed a hole you hadn't noticed before."

That “Alison” in quotes wasn’t accepted and I tried parentheses, etc, to no avail. What would be the correct way to accomplish that? I just wrote around it with the below, but I remain curious if there’s a “proper” way to do it.

The description of Parlor_Wreckage is "A huge pile of broken concrete, rebar, furniture and more from the dorms upstairs.[PrintParlorWreckageDesc]".

To say PrintParlorWreckageDesc:
and so forth

The description of Parlor_Wreckage is “A huge pile of broken concrete, rebar, furniture and more from the dorms upstairs. [if the player is Kevin]A monstrously large slab of concrete caps the wreckage.[otherwise if the player is Susie and Parlor_Wreckage is ClueDiscovered and Sam is trapped and NPCHelpedName is “Alison”][paragraph break]Alison’s lamp revealed a hole you hadn’t noticed before.”

I think it would just be ... and NPCHelpedName is Alison][paragraph break] ... since you’re already inside a complicated to say string in quotes you generally can’t break the quotation internally, but I haven’t tested it.

1 Like

Ah, that was something I didn’t try! Thanks!

1 Like