Predicting Players' Paths through Interactive Stories

Introduction

Hello. I am recently interested in the research and development topics of making predictions with respect to biographical narratives, e.g., predictions pertaining to health, well-being, education, and labor [1][2].

Applications of these predictive technologies would include better equipping school and career counselors.

Interactive stories could be a useful analogue to consider when modeling and processing biographical data. In addition to using sequences of life-events to predict human lives [1], I am also thinking about graph-based models with event-sequences as directed edges and with choice-points as nodes.

With respect to interactive storytelling techniques, I have thought about:

1. enhancing models of players as they make decisions in stories’ contexts.
  2. using models of players to ascribe probabilistic weights to story-paths emerging from choice-points.
  3. educational applications, e.g., social-emotional learning and character education. In these regards, interactive stories could serve as homework exercises which learners play while learning about, exhibiting, and strengthening (moral) decision-making knowledge and skills.
  4. systems which adaptively select, sequence, and recommend interactive stories as exercises from libraries, or repositories, using players’ models and educational objectives.

Is anyone else here in this interactive fiction community forum interested in predicting players’ paths through interactive stories? Is anyone else here interested in predicting biographical narratives? Would anyone like to recommend any articles, books, or publications? Thank you.

Bibliography

[1] Savcisens, Germans, Tina Eliassi-Rad, Lars Kai Hansen, Laust Hvas Mortensen, Lau Lilleholt, Anna Rogers, Ingo Zettler, and Sune Lehmann. “Using sequences of life-events to predict human lives.” Nature Computational Science (2023): 1-14.

[2] Gordon, Andrew, Cosmin Bejan, and Kenji Sagae. “Commonsense causal reasoning using millions of personal stories.” In Proceedings of the AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 1180-1185. 2011.