Participate in the 2023 Interactive Fiction Top 50!

This took me a couple days to compile because it made me reflect on what I find interesting in interactive fiction. In a way, my list likely differs from people here because I’m not cataloging favorites or titles that did change the course of IF history – rather, it’s all about how inspiring the titles are to me in pointing to new possibilities:

• The Prisoner by David Mullich: Before drafting my list, I realized that this Apple II game had not been added to IFDB. I took the time to get it written up and also posted a review on the game. I won’t waste words here except to say that I found the title awe-inspiring because it doesn’t follow any rules and principles. Its hostility toward the player is something I would love to see more in interactive fiction.
  • A Mind Forever Voyaging by Steve Meretzky: Not only is it one of the earliest and most interesting puzzle-less parser games out there but I also thought it was surprisingly relevant to our times. The gameplay is essentially aimless wandering around and figuring out what to do next, which I quite like. It’s fun to track where I was with the map feelie. Kinda want more games like this. I also didn’t know what I was getting into when I first played the game, but many moments regarding racial violence and discrimination really resonated with me. I know the game has garnered a reputation for being preachy as opposed to that masterpiece of subtlety, Trinity, but I find the lecturing rather refreshing in the context of mass media. I sorta wish Meretzky was more encouraged to make games like this, but that’s just wishful thinking from my part.
  • Infidel by Michael Berlyn (RIP): The ending of the game is justifiably controversial to say the least, but it echoes my thoughts on the colonial adventures I’ve had in my Infocom journey. And more so than Planetfall, this game seems to be hitting on a real narrative nerve that we haven’t figured out yet in gaming history: how much should we keep or betray the expectation of the player? I don’t think Infidel answered it with tact, but I’m glad it didn’t. Its abrasiveness stands out to me because it doesn’t seem to care except for one goal: choosing something that makes sense for the narrative. I respect this leap a lot.
  • The Fire Tower by Jacqueline A. Lott: This is a game that feels so simple and easy to conceive at first glance that it U-turns and becomes difficult again. Ostensibly a title simulating a short hiking session, the game is full of attention to little and beautiful details. The writing seamlessly goes between the trek, the psychology of the player character, and the world around her. I feel so calm and curious about everything in this game. And yet, when I start thinking how Lott designed the game, I can’t stop imagining how difficult it must be to make the mundane so compelling. I’m glad that 50 Years of Text Games introduced me to this wonderful work because it’s honestly one of the most charming IF works out there.
  • Will Not Let Me Go by Stephen Granade: With just a few scenes, this story about old age and love tears me apart. The subject matter has been explored in many different games, but I think this title takes the brave step in simulating what it means to have dementia and how confusing it is for the player character and everyone else around him. And the ending … I’m not someone who believes in “true love”, but this game sure made me want to believe in it.
  • Repeat the Ending by Drew Cook: Another game I reviewed, this title explores a personal title being analyzed by different sides of the interactive fiction community. I enjoyed reading the many hints and understanding why the game was designed like this. The Design of the game is the real narrative in a way. I think people who like introspective metafiction about IF communities like Endless, Nameless will find it interesting.
  • Venus Meets Venus by kaleidofish: Although I mentioned in my review that it’s quite flawed, it’s a title that keeps haunting me whenever I read works exploring queerness. There are so many questions that it poses that I still don’t have answers to. It’s likely my favorite work about LGBTQ+ themes right now.
  • The Archivist and the Revolution by Autumn Chen: I’m quite a fan of Autumn’s works, but this specific title captures my imagination: it’s this remix of Tumblr, what’s happening to trans people in the Global North, some events in modern Chinese history like the Cultural Revolution, poverty, genetic history, and some more. This mishmash of ideas is so exhilarating.
  • SPY INTRIGUE by furkle: I’d like people to get surprised by the title, so this is all I would say: it’s great.
  • Trinity by Brian Moriarty: An undeniable accomplishment that expresses its concerns about the Cold War through the mechanics of a Zorkian puzzle crawler. I have never seen something like it before.
  • Suspended by Michael Berlyn (RIP): Revolutionary, to say the least. It feels like I was playing a precursor to Zachtronics games but somehow more ambitious and bigger. I can see why artists like Douglas Adams want to work with Infocom after experiencing this game. It certainly made me think I was born in the wrong period because this title feels more evocative of the future of gaming than anything before or prior.
  • Bee by Emily Short: I don’t share any of these experiences with the protagonist and yet, the writing invites me to think about how she feels. The game also takes its time to depict the anxieties of her parents too, which I find interesting. Having heard so many tales of what it’s like to be homeschooled, I didn’t expect to hear the side of the parents. It doesn’t paint them in an entirely good or bad light, which I respect.
  • A Paradox Between Worlds by Autumn Chen: I think this is the only title I’ve played so far that has captured the internet experience for me: a lurking simulator where you watch all the big names interact with each other and you’re just kinda there. I personally mention this title more than Archivist in conversation because my non-IF-loving friends find this title wonderful and rewarding. The ending is also timeless too, which makes the setting never dated to me.
  • Plundered Hearts by Amy Briggs: For a long time, I didn’t know Infocom as anything but “the dudes behind Zork” and for good reason: most of the catalog are locked behind ActiBlizzard. Every good Infocom game made me wish more people got to play it, but I think Plundered Hearts might be the title I want more people to play the most. Here’s a game that shows how a deep appreciation of genre (swashbuckling romance), reversing the gender roles (you play as the “damsel” saving your pirate hunk), and great writing can make adventures feel fresh again. It makes me wish more women got the opportunity Briggs got – and that Briggs got to make more games. This is likely the least “painful” parser game on my top games list, but I think it’s a very inspiring one because it points to a new horizon where game history could be more interesting if it was actually inclusive and understanding of desires. It’s really wonderful to play a game that doesn’t look down on “silly things” like romances and embraces it so wholeheartedly.
  • The Gostak by Carl Muckenhoupt: I’m a bit hesitant in putting a title I’m still going through, but I think this title blows up all the possibilities of what parser fiction can do. The whole “puzzle” of this game is the language itself. Your familiarity with Inform 7 and interactive fiction as a whole are your only real clues. It makes me think about what could be done with parser, especially if it’s so alien to us and we need to understand what it’s trying to say. Playing this game makes me lost in a world of foreign languages, which strike up my fancy as someone who’s lived my entire life as an international student. It’s awesome.
Honorable Mentions That Could've Made It Onto the List
  • Zork 3 by Dave Lebling and Marc Blank: Atmospheric and prescient, this title should be regarded as the way to conclude a series if not for…
  • Spellbreaker by Dave Lebling: A somehow more ambitious title in concluding sagas. Both Zork 3 and Spellbreaker have this irreplaceable somber mood that I find intoxicating. I thought of adding them, but I think Trinity outdoes both of them in atmosphere and puzzles. They are, however, great contenders for Top 50 Endings!
  • Starcross by Dave Lebling: I’m often surprised people don’t bring this title up more because I really enjoyed my time traveling this space station and the puzzle at the end is ingenious. The writing is also stellar, in my opinion. Might’ve been on the list if not for the existence of other interesting titles.
  • Toby’s Nose by Chandler Groover: I loved this game because it introduced me to the possibilities of parser fiction and I still do. Smelling your way through different rooms is so incredible. It’s also the first game I ever reviewed too. I just think it pales to the heavyweights I’ve written up so far, but I must definitely mention how important this title is to me.
  • Lost Pig by Admiral Jota: Same with this game. It’s very innovative and funny. I credit both Toby’s and Lost Pig as the two titles that staved my boredom away in a dull plane trip and piqued my curiosity into parser IF. Without these two titles, I don’t think I would be posting in this lovely forum.
  • Pageant and New Year’s Eve, 2019 by Autumn Chen: I like the Pageantverse a lot because it’s so particular and local. It’s something I noted in my review of the former. If I was adding either game onto the list, it would be NYE2019 because it’s such an interesting setting to simulate and the protagonist says some incredible stuff. I think I just wanted more, which is a good thing since the series is still ongoing.
  • Any Porpentine title: I like all of her works and she’s a big reason I got interested in Twine, but I crave for something more abrasive … and I know people already find her works to be too much lol… I believe Venus Meets Venus is the reason why none of her titles is on the list. If there was a title that would’ve appeared on the list, it is without a doubt With Those We Love Alive.
  • Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Steve Meretzky and Douglas Adams: I played this game when I was a teenager and was enthralled by how surreal the Babelfish puzzle was. Playing it again in my adult life (and knowing what’s IF is all about) was fun because I get to notice how the story is told in this fragmented way.
  • Spider and Web by Andrew Plotkin: That puzzle everyone keeps raving about is very funny. I wanted a bit more from that game, but it is a very funny puzzle.
  • Rameses by Stephen Bond: This game definitely made me rethink the narrative possibilities of parser titles. It breaks any affinities with player agency and I think it’s a more challenging title than, say, Catcher in the Rye because it’s speaking to you, the player. I just wished it did more.
  • Open Sorcery by Abigail Corfman: Definitely a classic. I wish I had more to say, but it’s just good.
  • Eat Me by Chandler Groover: Everything about this title is sumptuous and delicious. I also enjoy games where there’s a good chance of me looking up something in the dictionary.
  • Mirror and Queen by Chandler Groover: Another contender that seems heavily under-appreciated. The one-word parser mechanic is ingenious; it really feels like I’m roleplaying a queen deeply reflecting about the world around her.
  • Endless, Nameless by Adam Cadre: Really fun game foreshadowing the current era in the interactive fiction community. It feels like a bridge between the old and the new.
  • Amnesia by Thomas M. Disch: Unbelievably flawed for various reasons, but I find it memorable. The bizarre mechanics forced onto the game are what makes it special to me; it has one of the worst anti-piracy measures I’ve ever seen, the subway system is extremely accurate, and the hunger system is so strange. There’s also a deep beauty to Disch’s writing and how he captures New York City. The plot is a bit derivative for my taste since it’s twisting conventional noir tropes into something more absurd, but it’s really rollicking fun once Disch gets into dreamlike scenes. I wonder what it would be like if the game was written as a hypertext game since that seems to be how he viewed interactive fiction then.
  • Counterfeit Monkey by Emily Short: The game that will probably appear on many people’s list. Much praise can be written about it, but I think I prefer Short’s more character-driven works.
  • Fabricationist DeWit Remakes the World by Jedebiah Berry: The visuals it evokes through the mixed media interfaces are impeccable.

Okay, I swear I won’t edit this post again. (JK, I saw a typo.)

14 Likes

Thanks for doing this! Here are my 20 favourite games. They are all parser games, though I like choice based games too.

Zork I by Marc Blank and Dave Lebling (1980)
The best treasure hunt game I’ve played

Worldsmith by Ade McT (2016)
A highly original game though the very first puzzle might not be everyone’s cup of tea as it is a sort of strategy game though, if you play in story mode (required if you don’t want the game to end after the first puzzle), it is my impression that you cannot fail the first puzzle once you know how to do it, despite the randomness.

Winter Wonderland by Laura Knauth (1999)
Winner of IFComp in 1999, a very emotional parser game with good puzzles and it avoids that the player gets locked out of victory.

Treasures of a Slaver’s Kingdom by S. John Ross (2007)
An early, excellent example of “limited parser” with some unique verbs, good puzzles and lots of simplified randomized combat so that you should first fight the difficult enemies when you are sufficiently equipped for them.

The Axe of Kolt by Larry Horsfield (1990)
Adrift version - I have played through this massive old school game several times. The game that got me back into IF since I “left” in 1999. Lots of ways to end up in unwinnable situations and you must look everywhere for objects. So save often.

Tethered by Linus Åkesson (2018)
Another very emotional parser game with good puzzles and some reality distortion.

Suspended by Michael Berlyn (1983)
Perhaps my favourite Infocom game. Not as hard as the difficulty rating suggests. You control several robots with different “personalities”.

Starship Quest (1990)
Adrift version - My favourite sci-fi game by Larry Horsfield. As most of his games, you must search everywhere for objects (look under etc) and you can get into “unwinnable situations” so save often. But also lots of good puzzles and a great story.

Redemption by Sam Ruby (1993)
My favourite Eamon game, though a stand alone game so you cannot import your main character into this one. Similar to Treasures of a Slaver’s Kingdom as it has simple turn based combat but it is a puzzle when to approach them in addition to normal puzzles.

Lydia’s Heart by Jim Aikin (2007)
A TADS horror game with a child protagonist. Very good puzzles and creepy atmosphere.

Pogoman Go! by Jack Welch and Ben Collins-Sussman (2016)
A fun comedy with good puzzles and some randomized, well balanced combat.

Kaged by Ian Finley (2000)
A dystopian horror game with puzzles and a good story.

Ingrid’s Back by Level 9 (1988)
My favourite Level 9 game with some good humor. Old school with nice graphics (depending on version though)

Improv: origins by Neil deMause (2022)
A great one-room game despite some bugs. Hard but fair if you pay attention, though save often as at some point you will probably trigger a bug.

Illuminismo Iniziato by Michael J. Coyne (2018)
A sequel comedy but a very good one with some emotional scenes too.

Blue Lacuna by Aaron A. Reed (2008)
Another highly original game but it has a serious bug so I needed a walkthrough at one point to work around it but otherwise excellent.

Beyond the Tesseract by David Lo (1983)
A very fun physics game with a simple parser, originally released on Atari ST but later ported to z-code.

Anchorhead by Michael Gentry (1998)
Perhaps THE horror parser game. Very scary moments and good puzzles.

According to Cain by Jim Nelson (2022)
A highly original game with an interesting premise and ending. Mainly recipe puzzles but I like them.

A Change in the Weather by Andrew Plotkin (1995)
An excellent parser game. Interesting how such a simple premise can be turned into such an atmospheric game with great puzzles.

15 Likes

This is so rough. I decided to go with the games that immersed me most and that I had the most connection with. Not all of these are exactly “the best” games , but they are the ones that held my attention best, lingered in my mind, or influenced me.

I’ll limit it to 15.

1.) Counterfeit Monkey- Emily Short
2.) Anchorhead- Michael Gentry
3.) Dittoing @RadioactiveCrow with A Dark Room- original by Michael Townsend, rebooted by Amir Rajan
4.) The Wizard Sniffer- Buster Hudson
5.) Lost Pig- Admiral Jota
6.) Hadean Lands- Andrew Plotkin
7.) Vespers- Jason Devlin
8.) The Gostak- Carl Muckenhaupt
9.) Zork- Blank & Lebling
10.) Coloratura- Lynnea Glasser
11.) The Wand- Art DiBianca
12.) Bronze- Emily Short
13.) Spider and Web- Andrew Plotkin
14.) Curses- Graham Nelson
15.) And I really want to make a plug for the phenomenal Baba Is You- Arvi Teikari.

16 Likes

I’m just gonna be lazy and copy/paste my list from the last one…

Lime Ergot - Caleb Wilson
howling dogs - Porpentine
A Trial - B Minus Seven
Hadean Lands - Andrew Plotkin
Counterfeit Monkey - Emily Short
The Baron - Victor Gijsbers

13 Likes

Alias ‘The Magpie’
Counterfeit Monkey
Foo Foo
The Impossible Bottle
Inside the Facility
Lost Pig
Mentula Macanus: Apocolocyntosis
Spider and Web
Suveh Nux
Taco Fiction
Turandot
Varicella
Violet
The Wand
The Wizard Sniffer
Zeppelin Adventure

14 Likes

I like two things: Games where most puzzles are applications of one consistent system, and alien settings/protagonists.

So, in alphabetical order:

Counterfeit Monkey
This is the game that got me back into parser games after a long hiatus.

Coloratura

You, the alien protagonist tries to do right by the researchers who found you, while you, the human player watches in horror.

The Gostak

Gruesome
A fresh take on the “you’re the monster” genre.

Hadean Lands

Metamorphoses

Open Sorcery

PataNoir

Sub Rosa
On the surface, this looks like a Renaissance setting with some twists. Under that surface, pigs are sapient.

Suveh Nux

12 Likes

As I said last time around:

Oh good grief this is difficult! Ok my list is as below. It’s hopefully chronological in order. And it doesn’t have what are the very best games by any particularly rational measure, but contains the games that meant the most to me or otherwise really resonated with me, and I think are superb examples of the craft.

Note there are many other games I admire from afar but haven’t played enough yet. Some of my choices may be a little unusual below. I also see I have quite a few games from recent years - all due to quality of late.

I’ve gone back to my previous list but changed some of the choices (thank goodness for IFDB’s powerful search facilities!). Here are my 2023 selections.

The Hobbit (1983) - I’d played adventures before, but this was the first one that I really “got”. I’m still wowed by the NPCs, and it’s still a stunning achievement.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (1984) - again I’d played Infocom games before, but this one blew me away. Challenging puzzles, bonkers game design, and a nice story expanding on an already favourite book.

The Guild of Thieves (1987) - the best for me from Magnetic Scrolls, the first graphic adventure that wowed me, and a world that just drew me straight in.

Curses! (1993) - in a class of its own in its day, never mind a demonstration of Inform. Still a highly entertaining romp, with a huge degree of imagination, and a very satisfying player experience.

Christminster (1995) - still a classic, a great example of a university set game, that combines puzzles with plot.

All Roads (2001) - a very deserved IF Comp winner that combines Renaissance Venice with a time shifting and perspective altering plot. One of the first games to strike me as a narrative experience rather than puzzle based.

1893: A World’s Fair Mystery (2002) - so rich in detail, a delight, even to dip in to, never mind explore fully.

Lost Pig (2007) - superb player character and implementation. I’m only so far through this, but it’s a grin from start onwards, and very accessible to newbies.

The King of Shreds and Patches (2009) - disclaimer I playtested this, but it’s still the best conversion I’ve seen yet of a tabletop pen and paper roleplaying scenario, and a Lovecraftian Renaissance delight.

Guilded Youth (2012) - innovative user interface and use of a BBS style system combined with good plot makes this a memorable experience, and still a trailblazer.

Brain Guzzlers from Beyond (2015) - a wacky 50s B-movie homage, that’s funny while at the same time remarkably clever, complex (yet approachable), and enormously satisfying to play.

Midnight. Swordfight. (2015) - reminded me of All Roads a bit, in its twisting through space/time. Very evocative, original approach to IF.

Detectiveland (2016) - a deft combo of innovative graphical interface and traditional parser to present a well organised whodunnit with multiple ways of playing through.

Fair (2016) - fun recreation of a school science fair, complete with struggling author trying to sell books. Fun to play with a rich, often humorous environment, and clever handling of events / plot.

The Wizard Sniffer (2017) - had me grinning from start to finish, a marvellous Pythonesque romp that is both a puzzle fest and plot stonker, hilarious characters, and user friendly for new players as well as old pros.

Eat Me (2017) - truly grotesque in places, but I found it a delightful horror, and conjured up images in my mind that I really didn’t expect.

Will Not Let Me Go (2017) - yup that was a very strong year! Devastating Twine IF about dementia and loss. Utterly devastating, but so powerful, and so clever in its design.

The Master of the Land (2018) - stunning Twine historical fantasy using a clever interface to include mapping and moving about, as well as interacting with NPCs and driving plot.

The Impossible Bottle (2020) - like Curses another proof of concept for a new game development system, but more importantly a superbly crafted game that plays with the player and game world in totally original ways.

The Spectators (2022) - now this is how to do a historical mystery! Richly realised game inspired by a real setting and real historical people and events. A deep and delicious treat.

16 Likes

Well, here is my short list, made with the best games I have played and finished.

1- Anchorhead
2- Counterfeit Monkey
3- Impossible bottle
4- According to Cain
5- Grooverland
6- Adventure
7- Inca Course
8- Fairiest
9- Chlorophil
10- What heart head about
11- The impossible stairs
12- The guild of thieves
Well, it is a bautyfull list after all.

And here is the list of the games that I have played and don’t like so much to be in the 50’s
1- Lost pig
2- 80 days
3- Lime ergot
4- Photopia
5- Spider and web
6- The weight of a Soul

• Jade.
14 Likes

There are more than twenty games that I have enjoyed, but if I were to name those which have stayed with me and meant a lot to me, it’d be these. Listed in date order.

1. Curses (Graham Nelson), 1993: so much to explore, with a game map that opens up piece by piece, taking you deeper into a magical, mysterious past. Both funny and emotionally powerful.
  2. Jigsaw (Graham Nelson), 1995: time travel, comedy, romance, tricky puzzles, and excellent historical research.
  3. First Things First (J. Robinson Wheeler), 2001: please can we feel the love for this perfectly-formed medium-size parser puzzle? It seems to be strangely underappreciated.
  4. Finding Martin (G. K. Wennstrom), 2005: huge, funny, and with a story that keeps opening up as you play. Don’t tell me how it ends.
  5. Bronze (Emily Short), 2006: beautifully described, with a deep, rich backstory.
  6. Bee (Emily Short) 2012: if I had to introduce someone to choice-based fiction for the first time, I’d probably start with this sweet, thoughtful story.
  7. howling dogs (Porpentine) 2012: a number of short, haunting narratives about women, in a variety of different worlds
  8. Summit (Phantom Williams) 2015: an incredibly inventive story about longing, and about the limited bounds of a human life
  9. 500 Apocalypses (Phantom Williams) 2016: 500 little stories, some which say more for not saying much at all.
  10. Tethered (Linus Åkesson) 2018: a short adventure game that does something completely unexpected, and which works better as an interactive narrative than as a conventional story.
  11. The Impossible Bottle (Linus Åkesson), 2020: a brilliant idea for a parser game, perfectly achieved, and very funny.
13 Likes

Ok, here’s what comes to mind right now for games that have stood out to me over the years. They might not all be the best, but they’ve all got something memorable about them.
I might end up with a different list tomorrow or next week, however. So in no particular order…

1. counterfeit Monkey. Just brilliant. There’s nothing new I can really say about it that’s not already been said.
  2. Worlds apart. A wonderful story, and an amazingly detailed world. I think it was so ahead of it’s time in a lot of ways. It reminds me a lot of Blue Lacuna. Speaking of which…
  3. Blue Lacuna. I cant remember much of the story but the game world is just so fun to explore. I bet there’s still things in it I never experienced when I last played it. Also having 2 modes of play, one less puzzley than the other is a nice touch.
  4. Hadean Lands. A wonderfully designed puzzle fest that I didn’t need as many hints for as I usually do for games like that. The reset thing is genius. I remember thinking when I first played it, I’ve ran out of x so surely I’ve made it unwinnable, then I went through that door…
  5. She’s Got A Thing For A Spring. I love all the descriptions of the landscape. But what impresses me the most about it is Bob. I spent the majority of my playthrough just hanging around with him until he went back to the beginning of his loop. Also probably the best use of xyzzy I’ve come across.
  6. city of Secrets. Great story, wonderfully detailed world to explore. There’s a bit of a theme here I think.
  7. Spider and Web. That puzzle, which I’m glad to say I managed to figure it out myself, even though I needed hints in other areas. I love how you can learn from your mistakes though.
  8. Chuck and the Arena. The closest blind accessible game I’ve come across to those old point and click adventures. I could fill the rest of my list up with Agnieszka Trzaska’s games, but I’ll just choose that one.
  9. Theatre. One of the first IFs I played back in 1999. It took me a few years before I completed the whole thing though, but I love it. I think it still holds up.
  10. Anchorhead. I was too scared to play it on my own for a good couple of decades, but I plucked up the courage to play it with a few friends over skype during one of the lockdowns, and I’m so glad I did. I haven’t tried the remastered edition yet.
  11. The Wizard Sniffer. Absolutely hilarious.
  12. Birdland. Absolutely wonderful.
  13. The Impossible Bottle. An amazing twist. I don’t want to say more because I think you’re best going in there with no previous knowledge.
  14. Cragne Manor. There’s nothing else like it.
  15. Superluminal Vagrant Twin. It’s fun hopping round to all the different planets and doing jobs and whatnot. Reminds me of a space themed MUD I used to play but in miniature.
  16. Babel. Really creepy, and I love how the story clicks into place as you explore and try things… Worlds Apart is like that as well, but not creepy.
  17. And Then You Come To A House Not Unlike The Previous One. Meta. Games within games. A story that had me crying by the end. It’s fantastic.
  18. The weight of a Soul. Another game with a really detailed world and a fantastic story.
  19. An Act Of Murder. From what I can gather, this does what Deadline was trying to do but better. I’ve never played Deadline though so take that with a pinch of salt. I also played it with friends and had a good time doing so.
  20. Violet. Again a funny game, and I love how it’s written.

Honourable mentions:

• Jigsaw. I would’ve preferred to have read it as a novel… walking round the Titanic was cool, though.
  • Finding Martin. More for the ridiculous scale of it. When you think you’ve seen all of it you find more, and more, and… I went through most of it following hints, but I did figure some of it out. I still need to finish it but it’s been a while so I’ll probably start from the beginning again.
  • augmented Fourth. Another one I’ve played with friends during Lockdown. So funny. Points off for having 2 mazes in it though, but one of my friends is good at stuff like that and she figured them out in 5 or so minutes.
  • Child’s play. Nothing to do with a scary doll, but a fun game where you play as a baby, and all the limitations that gives you.
  • Dr. Horrors House of Terror. Very gruesome, but a fun puzzler. I don’t think I needed many hints in it. cool that in the last part it turns into a kind of RPG battle.
  • Perdition’s Flames. Even though I found it quite hard, it had me laughing out loud in a lot of places.

I’ve already swapped entries round between my main list and honourable mentions, so I’ll submit it before I change my mind, again.

12 Likes

Here’s my off-the-cuff attempt:

Counterfeit Monkey - As a game writer this felt like Emily Short said, “I’m about to do a quadruple somersault, whilst blindfolded over a pit of sharks.” And then she absolutely nails it.

Cragne Manor - A bout of insanity from the IF community that I felt came together just beautifully. It’s uneven, it’s unfair, it’s incomprehensible, but it worked for me. Cthulhu mythos and a gamut of tones and genres… Just hook me up!

Photopia - I played it a long time ago. The only thing I remember was finishing it and just staring at the screen in wonder. I think this was the first “IF can be fiction” work that hit me.

Vespers - Tight theme and amazing writing. Some descriptions still haunt me.

The Fire Tower - A beautiful game that felt like a fresh walk for me when I played it.

Fallen London - An expansive, mind-boggling assortment of delicious writing.

Some more controversial choices:

Overboard! - Slick and fun.

The Stanley Parable - Not your traditional IF, but quite the exploration into interactivity, choice and the role of the player.

IMMORTALITY - Again, I’m taking from a broad definition of fiction, but was an interactive exploration of story and narrative.

Walking Dead Telltale series Everyone will remember that.

Games I have inexplicably missed playing (or played so long ago that I forgot) that I wish I could add:

• The Archivist and the Revolution
  • Bee
  • Trinity
  • Repeat the Ending
  • The Gostak
  • Lost Pig
  • Hadean Lands
  • Spider and Web
  • Curses
  • Howling Dogs
  • Anchorhead
  • Slouching Towards Bedlam

I know, very embarrassing. I’ve got a bunch of these on my to-play list… Just gotta get past IF Comp.

11 Likes

80 DAYS, by inkle, Meg Jayanth
A Mind Forever Voyaging, by Steve Meretzky
Adventure, by William Crowther and Donald Woods
Aisle, by Sam Barlow
Anchorhead, by Michael Gentry
Babel, by Ian Finley
Blue Lacuna, by Aaron A. Reed
Creatures Such As We, by Lynnea Glasser
Galatea, by Emily Short
Inside the Facility, by Arthur DiBianca
Kerkerkruip, by Victor Gijsbers
Lime Ergot, by Caleb Wilson
Lost Pig, by Admiral Jota
Photopia, by Adam Cadre
Shade, by Andrew Plotkin
Slouching Towards Bedlam, by Star Foster and Daniel Ravipinto
Superluminal Vagrant Twin, by C.E.J. Pacian
Will Not Let Me Go, by Stephen Granade
With Those We Love Alive, by Porpentine and Brenda Neotenomie
Worlds Apart, by Suzanne Britton

9 Likes

Thanks for organizing this. My list is unashamedly IFDB and parser flavoured. I just haven’t played enough commercial games in the last decade to make meaningful comments on them. That said, I’m surprised that there hasn’t been more mention of Fallen London / Sunless Sea and Heaven’s Vault yet. I’ve heard great things about them - and they do feature some of IF’s biggest stars. I don’t have many interesting comments to make beyond what’s been said for most titles, so I’ll just get those out of the way and then say a bit for the titles I want to cheerlead for. I DO have some very interesting suggestions from other folks now so thanks to everyone who has commented so far.

Infocom era:

Wishbringer
Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
Ballyhoo
Plundered Hearts
Enchanter
Trinity - they should make a film about this sometime…

Modern era:

Photopia
Spider and Web
Counterfeit Monkey
Suveh Nux
Anchorhead
Violet
Superluminal Vagrant Twin
Taco Fiction

Treasures of a Slaver’s Kingdom: this game is a huge amount of fun and has that important sense of underlying love for the action hero tropes that it mocks. The writing is wonderfully witty and ever so slightly bonkers. As has been said, a very clever implementation of a limited parser too.

Inside the Facility: A brilliantly structured puzzle run with a highly addictive game loop. Very limited parser but some some surprisingly complex solutions by the end of the game. I run a Text Adventures club at my school and heard one of my teenagers remark to another - “This is actually fun!” - high praise! They happily played (and of course importantly compared scores) for hours. The recent browser-based version is for me the best single stop to introduce new players to puzzlefest IF.

Ryan Veeder’s Authentic Fly Fishing: My highest recommendation! Playing through the author’s website brings an innovative save process to revisiting Jewel Pond. The game keeps all your progress and even arranges your cabin just how you like it… meanwhile, you’re gently encouraged to play over days (and probably weeks) so that some events can unfold - ie. things do seem to happen once you go to sleep IRL. As you tick off the birds in your book and snag those fish badges, you’ll delve into the backstory of the cast of characters living around the lake… this is a game with hidden depths… People talk about the brilliance of puzzles - and there is one in this game that combines plot with puzzle in a way that dropped my jaw - enough said!

15 Likes

I’ve been playing interactive fiction for close to 40 years. How would I even begin to pick my top 20? Any list I create will be influenced by how I’m feeling now, and games I’ve seen referenced recently. There is also a risk that this will just be a list of each year’s winners of the annual competition. So this list is a compromise. All the games on here are terrific games, fun to play, and memorable for one reason or anther. Some of them are games so epic that they will appear on almost anyones list. Others have stuck in my mind over the years because they did something entirely new with the medium, or changed the way I thought about what interactive fiction is.

Christminster (Gareth Rees)

All Things Devours (half sick of shadows)

The Primrose Path (Nolan Bonvouloir)

The Wand (Arthur DiBianca)

Anchorhead (Michael Genry)

Cragne Manor (ensemble)

Hadean Lands (Andrew Plotkin)

1893: A World’s Fair Mystery (Peter Nepstad)

Counterfeit Monkey (Emily Short)

Detectiveland (Robin Johnson)

The Wizard Sniffer (Buster Hudson)

Cactus Blue Motel (Astrid Dalmady)

Chuk and the Arena (Agnieszka Trzaska)

Ryan Veeder’s Authentic Fly Fishing (Ryan Veeder)

The Impossible Bottle (Linus Akesson)

Brain Guzzlers from Beyond! (Steph Cherrywell)

The Missing Ring (Felicity Drake)

13 Likes

I’ve added a page for this on IFWiki: Interactive Fiction Top 50 (2023 edition) - IFWiki :slight_smile:

12 Likes

In no real particular order:

1. Vesp: A History of Sapphic Scaphism, by Porpentine
    This game isn’t for everyone. For the people it is for- it couldn’t be better. Epitome of Porpentine’s ooey-gooey neon cyberpunk eye burning sensual brilliantly burning experience. It leaves you breathless and disquieted and discomforted.

2. January, by Litrouke
    I’ve mentioned before that Litrouke writes the way that ‘I want to write when I grow up,’ and this is a great example of why. Bittersweet, sad- there’s even a cat! The same consistently gorgeous writing I’ve come to expect, and a breath of fresh air into a long dead genre (that I still hold a fondness for.)

3. Erostasis, by Domino Club (candle and Beck Michalak)
    Sci-fi horror, sensuality tempered in equal measures of terror. Roiling unease. Nausea rising. Launches you straight into the thick of it. Intensely poetic. Extremely uncomfortable- from the clanking and whooshes of ventilation air and power dynamics and, and… Another one that drags you relentlessly forward by the lapels. Not for the faint of heart.

4. Sweeter Kind of Fire, by Kawa
    Screams true to the original character’s voices- and the feel of the work it’s in tribute to. Sweet, heavy in ludic weight- an apt portrait. Sensual, of course- but it’s the rich undercurrent of emotion and shared history between the two men that compels me and drives the piece onward. Very cute achievement possible if you buy him his favourite drink, too.

5. please tell me you love me, by Ellis Dex
    I have a lot of nostalgia for MMOs and lost connections. This really hit home. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy for times way back when, (hours spent dimly lit by the flickering light of my chunky desktop computer, down in the cool basement) and captures the authenticity of chatlogs and character voices well.

6. Crimson Rose & White Lily, Manon Amora
    Lush, rich- blooming and teeming with details. I love Razac, and when I found out that Manon wanted to bring him to our TTRPG table, I was thrilled. A delicious setting that focuses on just the right amount of frills and fripperies to sink your teeth into. As a fan of historical romance novels, this checks all the boxes for me. It feels like a huge world. It’s really just beautiful.

7. A Small Talk at the Back of Beyond, by Scriptwelder
    The first parser (and IF) game that I ever played. As a young teenager, I had a blast talking to the little robot- who would stay with me for years, making characters in tribute to and similar to the original LDAC. Surprise twist ending- and such strength in writing the character that I actually replayed again to stay on board. Loved playing chess and talking about his mystery novels.

8. Sting, by Mike Russo
    A beautiful tribute. An infuriating boating puzzle. Toast? One of the parser games that opened me up to trying more of the genre. A tender, intimate portrait that weaves distance and proximity beautifully: you don’t leave the piece feeling as if you knew it’s subject personally, because you (the reader) don’t. Instead, you see her through the eyes of someone who loved her deeply, which feels like the perfect choice of narrator. A touching piece in memory that ends on a sweet note.

9. the uncle who works for nintendo, by Michael Lutz

10. my father’s long, long legs, by Michael Lutz

11. First Draft of the Revolution, by Emily Short

12. Eat Me, by Chandler Groover

13. Fallen London, by Failbetter Games

14. Return, by Maxine Sophia Wolff

15. Horse Master: The Game of Horse Mastery, by Tom McHenry

16. Babyface, by Mark Sample

17. Goncharov, by Stan Wix Buster

18. Rougi, by Lapin Lunaire Games

19. Lady Thalia and the Seraskier Sapphires, by E. Joyce and N. Cormier

20. Pageant, by Autumn Chen

TBA… eventually.

21 Likes

Oof this is tough! Ask me again tomorrow and it might look different, but it’s today so here we go. Links go to my reviews where I’ve written one.

One might note a bit of a recency bias here – partially that’s because I wasn’t super active on the IF front through the teens, partially that’s because I do think the work that’s coming out of the contemporary scene is among the best we’ve ever scene.

Plundered Hearts (1987): groundbreaking in all sorts of ways – I mean, female protagonists and romance stories were thin on the ground for much of the amateur era, much less in 1987! – but it’s also very modern in going for genre emulation, not mimesis/realism.

Photopia (1998): another one that’s easy to appreciate for its historical contributions – legitimizing puzzleless, narrative-first IF – but the color-focused presentation and kaleidoscopic viewpoints argue for its continued vitality.

Constraints (2002)

Gourmet (2003) - scroll down for review

Blue Chairs (2004)

Captain Verdeterre’s Plunder (2013): does IF have to be story or puzzles? What if it was something more like a sport? Well, that would be interesting, especially if there was a wisecracking rodent involved.

Hadean Lands (2014): The ne plus ultra of systematic puzzle games, with perfectly-pitched difficulty, thoughtful systems to remove annoyances, and evocative but precisely-controlled prose.

Cragne Manor (2018)

Limerick Heist (2019): this should be a one-note gag that runs out of gas well before the game does, except miraculously, it doesn’t! The sequel is impressive too but to my taste slightly overcomplicates things.

Turandot (2019): I know nothing about opera, but this melodramatic, philosophical two-hander is bursting with ideas, including about what “choice-based” really means.

Accelerate (2020)

Impossible Bottle (2020)

Murder in Fairyland (2020)

The Best Man (2021)

Excalibur (2021)

Faeries of Haelstowne (2021)

Queenlash (2021)

A Chinese Room (2022)

January (2022)

New Year’s Eve 2019 (2022)

20 Likes

I have tried a bunch of IF (but not “a lot”) and have completed very very few of them.

However, of the games which I have completed, there are two games that were so well-done that I had to actually get out of my chair and jump around a bit, to vent some excess excitement.

That’s way more than I can say about some visual games I have completed.

1. Choice of Robots by Kevin Gold. This one made me verbally scream when I got to the ending. The author has a thorough understanding of sci-fi tropes and philosophical questions regarding robotics, so it feels like the game understands you. The specific ending I got had displayed a Peter Watts level of bravery on part of the author, and I have an incredible amount of respect for putting that in a published title.
  2. Trenchline by JJ McC. This game made me run downstairs chanting “oh my gawd” over and over again, because it demonstrates a really effective way of presenting a puzzle, where all hope seems lost and nothing works, until you find every piece, and suddenly it all slots completely together at once. There are very few ways to make incremental progress in this game, so it really gives you the Mark Watney experience of going from ruined to rescued within a single turn. The atmosphere is extremely effective and the writing style demonstrates a calculated level of polish. It is short, but I feel it’s exactly as long as it needs to be.

EDIT: How could I have forgotten:
3. Plasmorphosis by Agnieszka Trzaska. No spoilers required. This is just such a delightful game, which knows exactly what it wants to do, and does it extremely well!

14 Likes

here comes my list …

Harmonia, by Liza Daly
The Hobbit, by Philip Mitchell and Veronika Megler
Suveh Nux, by David Fisher
Tavern Crawler, by Josh Labelle
They Will Not Return, by John Ayliff
Glowgrass, by Nate Cull
Lost New York, by Neil deMause
Lost Pig by Admiral Jota
Curses by Graham Nelson
Aztec Tomb by A. R. Crowther
Death In the Caribbean by Philip Hess and Bob Hess
Galatea, by by Emily Short
Sorcery 1, by inkle
A Dark Room, by Michael Townsend
The Fire Tower, by Jacqueline A. Lott
The Curse of Rabenstein, by Stefan Vogt
Ich, Shub-Jagaroth, by Heiko Spies
Das Geheimnis von Beagle’s Rock, by Michael Baltes
1893: A World’s Fair Mystery, by Peter Nepstad
Border Reivers, by Vivienne Dunstan

Jens

17 Likes

Thanks, Jens, but the rules stipulate that you can send in at most 20 games. :smiley: Perhaps you can select a shortlist of 20 from your longlist?

7 Likes