Part of the back of the eyelid

When the eyelids are closed, the palpebral conjunctiva is the skin that people see when their eyelids are closed, and the tarsal plate is inside the eyelid that people don’t see with their eyelids closed, what’s the difference between the palpebral conjunctiva that people see when their eyelids are closed and tarsal plate that people that don’t see with their eyelids closed?

2 Likes

<scribbles math equations on a napkin… carry the 4… square the x… minus the volume of the uvea…>

Got it! It’s the same difference between the part of the nightmare you remember and the part of the fantasy you forget. I mean, duh.

Welcome, Amber!

5 Likes

The tarsal plate is behind the palpebral conjunctiva.

That said, I think you kind of see through them both, given it looks different in a dark room to a bright room. You are seeing light that has passed through both of them, when it is light enough.

2 Likes

Yes, but the palpebral conjunctiva is people see when their eyelids are closed.

1 Like

Are you really “seeing” anything when your eyes are closed, though? Your eyes certainly aren’t focusing to produce a clear image of anything.

2 Likes

You can perceive a gray or reddish glow through the thin skin of your eyelids if you’re near a bright light. Also, hallucinations.

2 Likes

That isn’t what I meant, people see through the skin of their eyelids when the eyelids are closed, which is the palpebral conjunctiva, does that make sense? I’m not talking about mental images because that’s not what I meant by that, I’m talking about the actual eyes.

1 Like

When people are not facing the bright light, they perceive a not quite black color through the skin of their eyelids when their eyes are closed.

Seeing is sensing caused by the reception of light either from a light source or reflected off of some object. Since (unless we are some sort of weird super-hero or alien) there is no light source within our eyes, it is not possible to see the back of our eyelids when our eyes are closed. Anything we see would be caused by light from outside of our eyes. The palpebral whatchamacallit and tarsal doohickey might filter that light – causing some color change – but we’re not “seeing” them.

By that logic, if a movie is projected onto the back side of a screen, are we not seeing it?

Let’s say people perceive through the skin of eyelids when the eyes are closed which is the palpebral conjunctiva, the tarsal plate is the part we don’t ‘‘see’’ inside the eyelids, the palpebral conjunctiva is the skin we ‘‘see’’ inside the eyelids when our eyes are closed.

as hanonO says, with eyes closed toward bright sunlight (O’ Sole mio… that is, Naples’s Sun…) I see a dark flesh red, (flesh, NOT flash the same colour of meat !) so perhaps eyelids are more “filter” than “shutters” ?

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

ps. of course here is a clear, sunny day…

Eyelids are a little like filters but also like shutters.