ParserComp submissions start 1st of May (not the deadline)

From the Jam Page:

Submissions open from May 1st 2021 at 1:00 AM to July 1st 2021 at 12:59 AM

So if you want the special soopersecret prize* for being first to submit then now’s the time to be ready.

*the invisible pink trophy

2 Likes

So yes, you’ve got 2 months, but if you felt like submitting it at the weekend, nobody will stop you :wink:

1 Like

Just Rovarsson putting the wind up everyone by kindly reminding us of the submission opening date, not the deadline (gave me a scare for a moment).

Really wish I could be in, but I’m still smack in the middle of a game that’s too big to finish in time (maybe not even by this year’s IFComp, the way life’s going… baby #2 due tomorrow!)

8 Likes

Congratulations!

(Nothing like sleepless nights to get some work done on your game…)

2 Likes

Gosh, well congratulations and perhaps you can come back to your game when you’re less busy (in around 18 years’ time)?

2 Likes

Congratulations to you and your family!

2 Likes

Looks like I have to skip ParserComp. I just can’t get ScottKit to work on my machine. Inform6 works fine, but it’s overkill for the kind of game I have in mind. Oh, well.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is of any help but below are my notes from last year when I installed ScottKit (and Ruby) on CygWin (CygWin is an environment for running/compiling Linux-apps under Windows).

To install ScottKit in CygWin
=============================
1. Install the following libraries:
	ruby-2.6.4-1
	ruby-devel-2.6.4-1
	zlib-1.2.11-1
	zlib-devel-1.2.11-1
	libiconv-devel-1.14-3
	libxml2-2.9.9-2
	libxml2-devel-2.9.9-2
	libxslt-1.1.29-1
	libxslt-devel-1.1.29-1

2. Start CygWin and issue the following commands:
	gem install pkg-config -v "~> 1.1"
	gem install nokogiri -- --use-system-libraries
	gem install scottkit

3. Go to the bin-folder in your home directory and:
	ruby scottkit -c game.sck > game.sao  # compile
	ruby scottkit game.sao  # play the game; or use scottfree game.sao
	ruby scottkit -d game.sao  # decompile - useful for cheating
2 Likes

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work for me. :frowning: I’m on Raspberry Pi

Advrnturon in tallp mode is very similar to Scott Adams game layout. It also runs on Raspberry Pi, as its web based. You can search for an offline version with full documentation on archive dot org too which will run on Pi as all the code is in JavaScriot.

A good game to search for to demonstrate this style is “Over Here” by Aureas or TWO by myself.

3 Likes

Indeed. I’d have pick it up as ScottKit replacement had the docs are pdf. I really can’t do it with video.

I did get the archive and see some pdfs, so I’ll read those later. But on the index.html, it hung up on this:

content://0@media/external/file/35837

I imagine that’s video. So, I never went past it.

ZIL and ZILF perhaps, have you looked into coding it with ZIL?

Adam :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Haha. Not enough tutorial materials for me. Why don’t you make some?

It looks too much like LISP, and my experience with it has not been pleasant. Sorry.

1 Like

Little bit of Catch-22… I know the basics but not really enough to train others, beyond literally just creating a room, an object in the room and maybe some basic conversation. But - i’m happy enough in front of a YouTube camera chatting away to the general public.

Others have much more knowledge than me, and are creating written resources, but if you’re wanting a video then that’s not usually their ‘thing’.

Adam

Well, then there’s an idea. Why don’t you research their work and then make video about them? I’m subscribed to you BTW.

1 Like

Thank you!

Adam :slightly_smiling_face::pray:

Just for fun I tried setting up a virtual Raspberry Pi in Virtualbox. Installing Ruby & ScottKit was pretty straightforward for me.

sudo apt install ruby-full

sudo gem install scottkit

ScottKit is then installed with docs and games in /var/lib/gems/2.5.0/gems/scottkit-1.6.0/

I tried to decompile a gamefile (had to unzip it first) and everything seemed to work alright.

scottkit -d adv01.dat

# 34 rooms, 66 items, 170 actions
# 76 messages, 13 treasures, 70 verbs/nouns
ident 1
version 416
wordlen 3
maxload 6
lighttime 125
unknown1 5953
unknown2 819
start forest
treasury swamp

verbgroup GO ENT RUN WAL CLI
verbgroup CHO CUT
verbgroup GET TAK PIC CAT
verbgroup LIG "." IGN BUR
verbgroup DRO REL SPI LEA GIV POU
verbgroup THR TOS
verbgroup LOO EXA DES
verbgroup ATT SLA KIL
verbgroup DRI EAT
verbgroup FIN LOC
verbgroup SAY SPE CAL
verbgroup SCR YEL HOL
verbgroup MAK BUI
verbgroup WAV TIC KIC KIS TOU FEE FUC HIT POK

noungroup AXE AX
noungroup BOT CON
noungroup MUD MED
noungroup OIL SLI
noungroup CHI BIT
noungroup WEB WRI
noungroup LAV DAM
noungroup TRE STU
noungroup SHO BAN

room swamp1 "dismal swamp"
        exit north meadow
        exit east hole
        exit west grove

room tree "top of a tall cypress tree"
        exit down swamp1

room swamp "damp hollow stump in the swamp"
        exit up swamp1
        exit down stump

What was it you didn’t get to work?

2 Likes

Thank you so much for doing this for me! It’s obvious that the standard RPi Ruby installation is incomplete. Once I installed ruby completely, it works just fine!

Doing that line above took less than 10 minutes. That is what was missing from the instruction. Maybe someone should let Mike Taylor know about it so that he can update the installation instructions. Otherwise, it’ll be “Error installing scottkit”

2 Likes

My motives for setting up a virtual RPi wasn’t entirely altruistic… I’ve been thinking of setting it up for quite som time for other reasons, so this was a good spark to make it happen. Thank you!

2 Likes