ParserComp 2022 - PLEASE VOTE!

How about just settling issues with a drinking game? Less blood, although more vomit. I don’t have a rapier, but I do have a bottle of tequila.

5 Likes

I need to develop an AI chatbot for Alexa with a rapier tongue… :wink:

3 Likes

We’ll let the weak ones be picked off by rapier, then settle the hardcore with tequila. Whoever can still remember their name at the end wins!

4 Likes

Yes, I think that’s much better scoring method :grinning:

3 Likes
  • I am not an author. If there is no complaint I assume this method will be fine.
  • I barely understand the joke above.
    Finally, let’s play. Thanks for the organizers effort.
4 Likes

My last previous game came out right at the end of 2002, so it’s technically just under a 20-year break. (I had places to be, man.)

15 Likes

And one of them got lost?

2 Likes

Stay tuned for Lost New York 2: Even Loster, coming in 2042.

8 Likes

Can’t you just omit the optional categories when working out the total score? I’m not sure, but I think itch.io allows for that. Then you don’t have to muck around with any offline calculations.

3 Likes

If only it was that flexible! It doesn’t let you do that. It’s either a single primary criterion to decide the overall winner or all criteria included. You can’t include some and exclude others.

So this year it’s (actually simple) offline number crunching for weighting and then rapiers and tequila to follow - and a better system next time (but we’ll probably keep the fencing and drinks in, because they sound fun).

2 Likes

Fair enough. I thought you could specify the criteria to be included in the final scoring.

Now, how do we handle the rapier duals when participants live in different countries? Perhaps some form of virtual fencing? And I want to know that my opponent is really drinking tequila and not water!

2 Likes

I think it should work on the honor system.

3 Likes

For next year, a possible option would be to have a single “Other criteria” measure for anything that is optional. This would include not only graphics, music, help and puzzles but anything else that isn’t in an obligatory category. It is likely that most games would have something (or several somethings) that fall(s) into this description, and thus would have a chance of scoring reasonably based on how well they did whatever the non-obligatory thing(s) is/was. This limits the amount of emphasis control that can be given to the “other” element, but there certainly isn’t such a thing as a perfect solution to this.

2 Likes

My two cents on this:

1st cent: Change the rules all you want, even during sending period, but never once games has been submited

2nd cent: Current categories groups are “Main” and “Supplemental”, nor “Mandatory” and “Optional”.

I have more cents, but you would not be rich with them, anyway : )

3 Likes

I can read 20 entries in itchio but I can find only 19 titles.

One game, Cost of Living, was disqualified because it isn’t even vaguely a parser game. The rest are, so far as we can tell, more or less vaguely parser games.

4 Likes

Has anyone been able to submit a rating for a ParserComp game? I do believe there’s a glitch in the system… it always tells you you haven’t rated for writing, even if you have.

1 Like

I just did a trial rating and it worked as expected. Several other games have ratings listed.

Are you logged into itch?

Yes, I’m logged in. There’s a thread in the comp community where several people people are experiencing this.
I also don’t see any ratings. In the top right corner, it says “20 entries, 0 ratings”. I just refreshed, so that’s current.

Can some other folks make attempts and chime in here so @fos1 knows whether or not it’s just me?

1 Like

I believe you Amanda! I’m logged in as an admin so that could certainly make a difference.

Really, I would never question anyone, especially on Intfiction.

Back to itch and trouble shooting.

1 Like