ParserComp 2021 - Submission Countdown!

Good point. I’ll update accordingly.

1 Like

You might not be able to. I wanted to make a change to my walkthrough (nothing major, but a character got renamed fairly late in play) and I’m seeing

which is bad news for everyone as soon as someone wants to fix a simple bug.

1 Like

That’s strange - I thought it had been stated that we would be able to make bugfixes during the judging period. I was able to edit the text in my install instructions section though.

1 Like

Odd indeed, possibility of submit new releases in other Jams was on and new releases were uploaded from time to time.
Games were reviewed and commented inside itchio entries and then they were polished in real time.

1 Like

@dee_cooke @robinjohnson @Jade

Re-enabled! Sorry about that. Fix away!

Thanks

Adam

6 Likes
1 Like

Thank you. I appreciate it (and sorry if I was a bit sour in my pre-tea post - it’s your comp after all :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Haha, no problem, i’m glad it was raised early in the voting to (hopefully) not inhibit scores!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congratulations to all the participants for completing your games! (I don’t agree with those saying “the beginning is half of the action,” I prefer the motto “Always Be Closing.”) :slight_smile:

This is my first competition as a play tester! I only managed to test 1+1/2 games, but I feel wonderful for being part of this, nonetheless.

Looking forward to playing as many of the games as I can! :partying_face:

6 Likes

Just a quick heads-up: itch.io’s comments and discussion boards don’t seem to support any kind of spoiler-hiding (which is odd for a page focused on games, but whatever), so they’re not ideal for asking for/ sharing hints. Perhaps better to keep those sorts of things on here or in some kind of direct message.

6 Likes

Is there a way to do direct messages on itch.io? I’m trying to figure out how to access Snowhaven’s “Sinister” mode.

I don’t think there is and I also don’t think that the author is on this forum. She’s provided her email address though (or so I’ve heard)? You can also find her on the Adventuron Discord.

1 Like

No DMs on itch. They have public game discussion and you can leave review comments, but those aren’t often linked where the author can see them. Review comments for a game are buried in the “interact” menu on the dashboard and itch’s public forums aren’t real active.

Game discussion can be enabled if the author selects to allow comments on the page. Maybe check the author’s profile to see if they have a Twitter account or an email or a contact link?

The author is @Grizel, but she’s probably not a frequent visitor. I know she’s been very busy recently, but you could send her a PM.

The email wasn’t in the game that I saw, but following links on the author’s itch.io homepage, I found this page, which does have an email link at the bottom, so that might be something to try?

I’ve sent her a personal message with a link to this thread. I’m sure she’ll be able to answer your question soon.

On display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard’?

Sounds like it has been deliberately hidden to ward off the reckless and foolhardy…

4 Likes
The more playtesting the better! It's hard work.

You should be proud. I know playtesting is a great way to feel like part of a competition even if I didn’t create anything for it.

Also, in general, I’d add, if someone wants to playtest but is worried they don’t know enough – programmers need a lot of different perspectives. For instance, I appreciate having someone relatively weak on puzzles but strong on player hinting. They often help me make puzzles fairer in general. Sometimes a tester says “Sorry I couldn’t do much but I would be interested in X, Y and Z.” And even if I just implement one, it is a win.

I know I as an author welcome transcripts in-comp too, and I’m probably not the only one. Even transcripts without commentary are valuable. Sometimes when a player is lost, I see “Okay, I saw how they could get lost, and I didn’t consider they could get lost that way, and adding/removing X will lessen the chance it happens in the future.” I’ve had people send me transcripts in-comp, and later, we worked together on each others’ projects.

Itch.io is definitely worth visiting. If there are people there who don’t know about this place, I suppose we can use ROT13 (rot13.com deciphers ROT13 as well as ROT1, ROT2, etc.) to cover spoilers.

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. I had 4 testers on ‘Danny Dipstick’ and 7 testers on ‘Acid Rain’. Apart from a few obvious bugs, they all seemed to find different issues, some quite obscure. I made a LOT of changes in both games. Unfortunately, I didn’t allow enough time for bug fixing and enhancements. I really needed a second round of testing.

5 Likes

Ok, I am ready. I like to do things on the right way.