Parser games in the browser?

Can you recommend me some parser games that can be played in the browser?
I’m running Linux and would rather not get into all the compatibility difficulties…

2 Likes

Many if not most games on IFDB have a working “play online” button nowadays. But Linux compatibility is pretty much the last thing you need to worry about. Just in the Debian repos you can find Gargoyle, frotz, zoom and other interpreters. You can get binaries for QTads from the homepage, and similarly for game formats like Adrift or Quest. These are just about the most portable apps.

2 Likes

Practically all major IF 'terps are either Linux native or are ported to Linux, the best being QTads, Frotz and Hugor.

There’s also the multi-platform multi-'terp Gargoyle, whose is also on Linux.

HTH and good Linux coding,
Dott. Piergiorgio.

2 Likes

Yeah, as Felix says, the easiest thing to do is just look games up on IFDB. In general, the things that don’t have a “play online” button there are things you’d have a pain in the butt running locally anyway. And Gargoyle runs most things and is packaged in many distros’ repos.

Lectrote also runs most things and provides a Linux binary.

3 Likes

You don’t need to worry about compatibility issues. But if you do want to play a game in the browser that does not have a “play online” button on IFDB, you can use Parchment, which can play games from either a URL or a file downloaded from your device.

1 Like

If a game doesn’t have a play online button on IFDB then it is almost certainly in a format that Parchment doesn’t support, so loading the URL directly won’t work either. The only time the IFDB button wouldn’t be there is if the storyfile is in a zip but the details aren’t specific enough. Or if the metadata is wrong in some other way!

1 Like

Ifarchive has several different Frotzes, and I get confused. What’s the recommended version to use? Preferably one that can output plain text suitable to piping the output somewhere. I’m using Raspberry Pi 64 bit.

You might be interested in this repo, if you’re specifically looking to pipe plain text elsewhere.

2 Likes

Further to what’s already been said, all my games are playable online and all Adventuron games are playable online.

1 Like

The one available through your operating system’s package manager. Some version of Frotz is almost certainly there. Try that first.

2 Likes