Palindromes

Apologies if you think this isn’t the right place. Also if you have seen this already and are rolling your eyes at my naivete. But here is a palindrome.

Maybe an inspiration for somebody.

Please let me know who the original author is. I haven’t been able to discover yet.

Dammit I’m mad.
Evil is a deed as I live.
God, am I reviled? I rise, my bed on a sun, I melt.
To be not one man emanating is sad. I piss.
Alas, it is so late. Who stops to help?
Man, it is hot. I’m in it. I tell.
I am not a devil. I level “Mad Dog”.
Ah, say burning is, as a deified gulp,
In my halo of a mired rum tin.
I erase many men. Oh, to be man, a sin.
Is evil in a clam? In a trap?
No. It is open. On it I was stuck.
Rats peed on hope. Elsewhere dips a web.
Be still if I fill its ebb.
Ew, a spider… eh?
We sleep. Oh no!
Deep, stark cuts saw it in one position.
Part animal, can I live? Sin is a name.
Both, one… my names are in it.
Murder? I’m a fool.
A hymn I plug, deified as a sign in ruby ash.
A Goddam level I lived at.
On mail let it in. I’m it.
Oh, sit in ample hot spots. Oh wet!
A loss it is alas (sip). I’d assign it a name.
Name not one bottle minus an ode by me:
“Sir, I deliver. I’m a dog”
Evil is a deed as I live.
Dammit I’m mad.
6 Likes

wow

6 Likes

I see what you did there. :smile:

4 Likes

The IF world’s expert on palindromes is @nickm, if I recall correctly, but I don’t know if he’s around here much at the moment! Of course @aschultz also knows a thing or two about them.

4 Likes

Best theatre I’ve ever seen is Are we not drawn onward to new erA

‘Are we not drawn onward to new erA’ - Projects | Ontroerend Goed

The show starts with the actors onstage moving awkwardly and speaking an incomprehensible yet consistent language. They break and cut down a small tree and start building a civilization in its stead, complete with a huge statue of their Leader, a symbol of man's triumph over nature, the harnessing of nature's powers and man's mastery over all.

The actors go off-stage. A semi-transparent curtain drops and the whole performance is projected on the curtain backwards. The statue is still half-visible, looming behind the curtain.

The awkward jitterish movements from before become fluent. The language becomes understandable English. The audience sees the reverse of what happened live on stage: the dismantling of the statue and the civilization, until the last actor on stage re-attaches the last broken limb to the small tree.

To be clear about the skill and craft and preparation: the actors played and spoke the piece backward. This was filmed normally (“forward”) and then projected backward. This backward projection makes sense as if it was played forward.

I felt as if my perception was twisted through a cloth-wringer and put back together again. Form and content clicked. A-ma-zing experience.

7 Likes

This sounds pretty incredible. Did they record the performance live (while you were watching) and then reverse it, or was it played back from archive? I’m picturing that it would be like listening to a really long version of those scenes in the Black Lodge in Twin Peaks.

3 Likes

“Dammit I’m mad” is by comedian Demetri Martin. Christopher Nolan’s Tenet is a recent movie wrapped up with palindromes in many ways. Twenty years ago, I published a collaboration with William Gillespie that was a 2002-word palindrome, and is called 2002: A Palindrome Story. The most compelling recent palindrome-writing, as far as I’m concerned, is shorter, and by Mike Maguire and Anthony Etherin.

5 Likes

racecar

1 Like

Live.

Jawdroppingly, heartstoppingly so.

4 Likes

A Shultz is a true Wordsmith. He is way above my paygrade…

3 Likes

Weird Al’s “Bob” deserves a mention.

3 Likes