Painting pictures

Hello. Not sure I’m posting the right place?

I’m trying to make it possible to paint a picture in inform and I’m struggling with something I’m sure I’ve had working previously…

Here is my code:

Art Room is a room. 

Painting is an action applying to one visible thing. Understand "paint [something]" as painting.

A picture is scenery in Art Room. 

Paintbrush is a thing in Art Room. Understand "brush" as Paintbrush.

Paper is a thing in art Room. Paper can be wet or dry. The Paper is dry.

Paint is a thing in Art Room.

Dipping is an action applying to two visible things. Understand "dip [something] in [something]" as dipping.

Instead of dipping the paintbrush:
	say "you dip the paintbrush in the paint and make some marks on the page. When you look down you are pleasently surprised by what you see.";
	now the Paper is wet.

Instead of Painting:
	say "you dip the paintbrush in the paint and make some marks on the page. When you look down you are pleasently surprised by what you see.";
	now the Paper is wet.

Instead of looking when Paper is wet, say "wow"

Inform still says there is nothing special about paper…what am I missing?

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Looking and examining are different actions, but the look at command corresponds to the examining action.

Try replacing your instead rule with:

carry out examining the wet paper: say "wow."; 
now examine text printed is true

To clarify what Zed said about LOOK vs. EXAMINE: “looking” is what you do to get a room description. “Examining” is what you do to an object to get a description of the object. LOOK is different from LOOK AT/EXAMINE.

LOOK
West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

EXAMINE
What do you want to examine?

EXAMINE MAILBOX
The small mailbox is closed.

LOOK AT MAILBOX
The small mailbox is closed.

LOOK MAILBOX
That sentence isn’t one I recognize.

3 Likes

Ok. Great. Thanks…i’ll check that out!