Optionally visible text?

Tweego v2.1.1
SugarCube v2.37.0-alpha.18+10004

What’s the briefest way to declare optionally visible text in-line with the rest of the passage while a story is being written?

I’ve found quite a few discussions of very similar topics, but none seem to be exactly what I’m trying to do.

Some background:

I’m writing a story in which I’d like the reader to be able to select how many viewpoints are visible, depending on whether the global variable $POV has been set to be Single, Multiple or Omnicient. I’m using Sugarcube’s Setting API to set the variable. That part seems to be working fine.

I do not want to put the optionally visible text in a separate passage.

Of course, I can control the visibility in a long-winded way by using something like

<<if $m>>
<div class="...">
optionally visible text
</div>
<</if>>

However, I’d like to drastically reduce the amount of typing that I have to do, with both the variable name and the <div class... being provided by the macro instead of typing them myself.

For example, I’d like to write passages containing something like

Some text which is visible at all times.

<<ifm>>
Some optionally visible text (using div and class to select a different font, etc) which can be seen when multiple POVs have been requested. That is, when $POV is "Multiple".
<</ifm>>

More text which is visible at all times.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of JavaScript is, shall we say, less than minimal.
My first thoght was to define a macro named <<ifm>> which declares an initial <div class="..."> and another macro named <</ifm>> provide the </div> (as well as whatever other closures might be appropriate.)

I’m sure Sugarcube JS developers are laughing at thie :slight_smile:

“Of course” I immediately encountered two problems with this plan:

1. the first macro generated an error complaining that there was no </div>
  2. a slash (/) doesn’t seem to be allowed in the name of a macro (<</ifm>> )

What’s the best way to do this?

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

SugarCube includes two ways of creating custom “macro” like functionality:

1. The JavaScript based Macro API, with the relevant definitions being placed in the project’s Story > JavaScript area.
  2. The <<widget>> macro, with the relevant definitions being placed in a Passage that has been assigned the special widget Passage Tag.

As you don’t know JavaScript I would suggest using a Widget, specifically a “container” based one.

The following shows how to define a widget named ifm that can be used exactly like your <<ifm>> based example…

<<widget "ifm" container>>
	<<if $m>><div class="...">_contents</div><</if>>
<</widget>>

a slash (/) doesn’t seem to be allowed in the name of a macro

When you define a Macro or a Widget you use arguments to indicate if it is container based, which lets the system know that an end-tag like <</macroname>> will be required, and one is automatically created.

1 Like

Thanks!

That did exactly what I wanted.

1 Like