[Opinion] Increasing Mainstream Appeal (In Object/Puzzle-Centric Text Adventures)

I’m happy to let games be games and suspend disbelief when playing them, if doing so would make the experience more enjoyable. :smiley:

Many of these topics, including item limits, were subjects regular discussed in the pages of the long running Adventure Probe fanzine.

As I’ve recently been looking back at the work of Jack Lockerby, I’ll post his views on the subject here:

You can do a lot of interesting puzzles with containers… Jack’s games often featured some good container puzzles. I don’t like item limits (at all) but I’ve used them in games… mainly when there has been a puzzle that used a container… such as using a golf-bag to carry objects when you were climbing a drainpipe.

6 Likes

I’m interested in learning more about the games that are familiar to you.

I got into IF through the IFComp games of 1998-2008 (which I played in 2010). I learned that these games are based off of Infocom games, which tended to have a lot of smoothness of implementation, synonyms, multi-word parsers, no graphics. I played those and liked them.

Later, I saw some games (like Robin Johnon’s in this thread) that were a bit more minimal, and from that I learned about Scott Adams games, with simple parsers but clever puzzles, designed to fit on a small frame. They didn’t originally have graphics, but later did. He seemed to try to come up with clever new twists every game and had innovations in plot and puzzles.

Magnetic Scrolls had graphics but they had a really intricate parser (they bragged about having a command that took 8-10 words). I had fun playing many of their games.

I’ve seen you talk about ‘good old adventure games’ before a lot, and none of the old, original games I played ever seem to match up to them. To me, that means that there must be another source of other more recent games (maybe late 80’s?) out there that I haven’t been able to play yet, and I’m looking forward to playing them to expand my knowledge. Do you have a list of adventure games that you played when young that emulate the characteristics you most value in an adventure game (inventory limit, lack of implicit actions, etc.)?

3 Likes

That does sound awfully like good, old fashioned rose-tinted nostalgia, doesn’t it? I’ll be interested to see what people suggest as the best examples from this quasi-mythical golden age.

(I mainly know the late 80s/early 90s Spectrum ones. Gareth’s Twilight Inventory is a good compendium of those).

2 Likes

What I do know is that a colossal number of text adventure games came out of the UK in the 80s and 90s. World of Spectrum alone lists thousands.

4 Likes

Yes - separating the wheat from the chaff is the work of a lifetime.

Thank you for the link, I saw a game called ‘Ankh-Morpork’ on the front page (randomized, I think) so I’m trying to download it to try it out!

1 Like

On CASA that game has a rating of 2 out of 10. So you will probably be disappointed. If you really want to try out the old homegrown UK games, perhaps you should check out the games by Jack Lockerby. He wrote 35 games and I never played a bad Lockerby-game. BTW, someone wrote a nice article on Jack Lockerby:
http://8bitag.com/info/river.html
He would have been 100 years old this year.

6 Likes

Nice, this seems cool! I like that it includes his advice on how to write good games.

I didn’t realize that the Quill games and PAWS games were spectrum games, that makes sense. I’ve seen tons of Quill games on IFDB before without knowing much about them.

1 Like

spectrumcomputing.co.uk is the other good site for these. Many games there have a link to an online emulator (QAOP) that saves the bother of downloading things (handy if you’re using a Chromebook). Their search also has a handy ‘non-crap’ filter that helps with the sifting process a bit (there are 1000s of games).

2 Likes

I can’t answer for Garry, but my source of these style of games was the 8-bit micro text adventure games from around '82 to 97/98.

Most of these games were designed for cheaper computer hardware that lacked a disk drive, therefore Infocom games were off the table. Games loaded from tape and had to fit into memory.

Later games game in multiple parts, so you could have a 2,3,or 4 act game each as a separate load.

Many many many of these games were built using THE QUILL (aka ADVENTURE WRITER), GAC (Graphic Adventure Creator), and PAWS (The Professional Adventure Writer). Some later games used systems like DAAD or STAC (Atari ST Adventure Creator).

Most games made with these systems were exactly as Garry described. Generally speaking no implicit actions, inventory item limits, some systems allowed weight limits, most of these systems allowed graphics, most allowed coloured text, and multiple fonts.

Adventuron didn’t just appear out of nowhere, it’s very much following in this line of anachronistic 8-bit style text adventures, which is generally speaking, a lot different in flow to Infocom adventures.

PAWS and STAC supported a more complex parser, but all of these tools were database-table based, and therefore there were limits to the style of game and the style of puzzles that could be created. State tends to be represented by flags, and the existence or position of objects. Object lists are central.

Some games approached Infocom level of prose and interactivity (The Beast is a good one), but the z machine / ZIL was clearly more accomplished and had access to more resources than these 8-bit text adventure games.

There are over 2,200 ZX Spectrum text adventures listed here alone:

https://worldofspectrum.org/archive/software/text-adventures

There is a lot to be said for this style of game though, and for those of us that only had cheap second hand computers in the 80s, this was the style of game we knew and loved. My first computer cost my parents $100, a computer plus disk drive that would have ran an Infocom game would have been at least $700.

Infocom games are technically brilliant, but I personally found them to FEEL cold and empty compared to the colourful bright text of these 8 bit text adventures, even for games without graphics.

To me personally, I enjoy the puzzles more than the stories in this style of game, and that’s why I’ve been so pedantically annoying with the “IF” versus “TA” definition debate.

The majority of the self-published games from this era knew what they were, and presented verb/noun state-transition object puzzles with a theme. There were exception games produced within these limitations, and some exceptional narrative styled games that fit too, but there was a always the understanding that puzzles were mandatory and narrative was optional. If a game had a nice narrative whilst presenting cool object centric puzzles - it was a bonus.

My favourite old style text adventure games are:

• The Hobbit
  • The Famous Five
  • The Beast
  • Gremlins
  • Robin of Sherwood
  • Rebel Planet
  • Excalibur
  • The Very Big Cave Adventure
  • Alien Research Centre

I personally have trouble visualising anything via the written word, so the joy I personally derive from these games is in the state transitions, puzzles and visual flourishes, even if it’s just text colour or a font that makes me FEEL something.

The definition I would (personally) use to describe a traditional text adventure is - a game which has a parser (even without a keyboard, or even with a command builder ui), an object list, locations, inventory, verb/noun or sentence triggered state transitions, a game ‘tick’. Narrative and graphics are optional.

Strong narrative focused text adventures with no graphics are possible under this definition (The Beast, The Famous Five), and zero narrative games are possible under this definition (The Path).

Chris

6 Likes

I will try to play those 9 games this year so that I can get a better understanding of this category of game. I look forward to it, and appreciate the thought you put into putting this list together. It definitely looks like fun!

1 Like

If you understand why 4 is worse than 5, you understand why 5 is worse than 6, and so on.

2 Likes

Just wanted to mention that the adventure creation utility program The Quill was available on several different 8-bit machines back in the day, not just the Spectrum.

4 Likes

Thank you, I wasn’t aware of that. There’s a lot from that time that I am not familiar with!

2 Likes

Here are some Quilled games for the BBC Micro, for example:

http://bbcmicro.co.uk/index.php?search=Geoff+Larsen&sort=a

2 Likes

These games are a very personal list, and many of the games are maybe a little immature for adult audiences. They are not examples either of perfect game design. They are just games that I liked, and that evoke a particular mood.

The Famous Five if you choose to play it - I recommend the Amiga or Atari ST versions or SAM Coupe versions. The ZX Spectrum version is painful to play with a super slow parser.

The Famous Five is a game I view to be a good combination of “interactive fiction” and “text adventure”. I absolutely adore this game.

2 Likes

I don’t want to presume that you don’t know about it, but just in case… The game Garry mentioned, ADVENT, is also known as Adventure or Colossal Cave Adventure, and was the first game in this genre, directly inspiring Zork and the rest of the Infocom games.

Of course, the Infocom games, as good as they are (all the things you said about them hold true!), also had inventory limits, unwinnable states, limited light sources, etc.

1 Like

I’ve played one version of Adventure, but not the version called the Very Big Cave Adventure.

I’ve also played all the Infocom games except Bureaucracy and the graphical ones. I didn’t play them until a couple of years ago. I do remember inventory limits, although I appreciated the games like Spellbreaker with a carry-all.

I actually loved Adventure, and it’s in my top 10 games of all time. I think that the maze, the light source running out, and inventory management are genius in that game. I think that at the time it was written, these things were very creative, and I think that they feel right for a game about exploring an unknown, tight cave. The inventory limits make sense because the real ‘puzzle’ of the game, once you’ve seen everything, is calculating an optimal path that lets you grab everything in the required time limit. Zork used the same tools in clever ways so that things like opening up paths that let you carry bigger items felt like a huge accomplishment.

What I personally don’t like is games like ‘Here are ten treasures, lying out in the open. Pick them up and carry them back to the treasure room. Wait! You can only carry 9 items! And so you have to walk this 10-room path twice’. I saw some games like that this last year, and I feel that that is dull and uninspired. I like games that make you think, and many (if not most) recent games with inventory limits don’t use them in a way that requires any strategizing besides ‘put this down for later’. People are free to make games like that, but I’m free to dislike it, too.

6 Likes

Both The Quill and the GAC (Graphic Adventure Creator) were available for the BBC. I had the AC (Adventure Creator) which was the same thing, but without the graphics, for the Acorn Electron, though I went back to writing in BASIC when I upgraded to the 128K BBC Master Compact.

1 Like

Well, now you’ve got 2,200 more games to review!

4 Likes