One hint of magic - text adventure game

Ah, that’s a very… 1990s statement.

We stopped saying “text adventure” in any defined, systematic way before Twine came along. Just so you know.

6 Likes

It’s a 2021 statement.

… started a thread on this now so as to move this topic there.

Finding this game on Play Store was not easy indeed, but I’m happy to report I downloaded and started playing it. So far, so good, I like the art style, the music and the story is interesting (I did not go that far yet, though I’m happy to do so once I have a bit more time). :slight_smile:

There are two things that I would suggest:

• break wall of text into smaller paragraphs. This will help, especially for a phone game where a person sees that there is just one paragraph that they need to scroll through three times or so to get to the end. It’s easier to read and less intimidating for general audience
  • would be nice to get option to increase font size. Bigger font helps those of us who do not see that well :slight_smile:
3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. :smiley:
Yes, it’s not easy to find the app unless you use the tag ‘new’. And I intend to support different text sizes in the settings with the next update, but it could take some time. I will also try to make the paragraphs smaller next time, I actually never thought that the length was unhandy, but that’s just what feedback is for!
It would be great if you leave a review on Play Store once you finished the first part. :wink:
Greetings, Callandha

1 Like

It is not just the text size. That can be adjusted in the phone settings. There should be “breaks” in the narrative. As mentioned a wall of text is discouraging and difficult to read.

I enjoyed the game.

Ah, now I got the point, it’s better readable with breaks between lines when a new person is speaking for example. :thinking: I’ll adjust it. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Exactly! Paragraphs, spacing (before and after a paragraph), and also indents (sometimes the text goes over the frame and into the white space, which is a nitpick, I know, but if you fix the formatting you can do it as well) all help with reading the text.

You may also consider breaking one page into a few smaller pages (with continue button) - this can help readability as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello there, I’d like to announce that Part 2 of One hint of magic is now finally available on Google Play Store! :grin: There have also been new features added, for example you can adjust the font size now and the text appearance has been adjusted, paragraphs have been reduced and breaks added.

2 Likes