Official announcement: The IFDB Awards to begin on Feb 1, 2023

Oh, great! Someone added another game. Your link doesn’t work properly, I think this one does:

https://ifdb.org/search?searchfor=tag%3Apunyinform+published%3A2022&searchgo=Search+Games

The “new” game is “Construction Cancellation Order”. It would be a good idea to find some more if possible, just in case, as theoretically, someone else could withdraw their game. I only know 3 of the titles, which should be safe (the ones by Garry Francis).

2 Likes

PunyJam3 is coming up soon, so I suspect this won’t be as much of a challenge next year. PunyJam2 took place right at the end of 2021, missing 2022 altogether.

4 Likes

So… Is PunyInform being a part of this year? I don’t use it, I’d just like to know.

2 Likes

It seems there will indeed be a PunyInform award for 2022.

7 Likes

Dan Fabulich (with some help from IFDB testers) has made some excellent changes to IFDB that you can check out now that will allow polls to be anonymous and to be locked when the competition is done. News about this is available on IFDB now.

16 Likes

To make it easier to find games eligible for “Outstanding Retro Game” I have added the “retro-machines” tag (“retro” was already taken for more general retro feel) to all those games I know can be played on retro machines, corresponding to this IFDB search:
2022 IFDB games for Retro-Machines

If you think some are missing, feel free to add the tag to those. Here is the original proposal:
Inspired by Mathbrush “C64 parser game” example, I propose “Best retro IF game” . So that would include any game published to run on a retro machine such as the C64 but also Atari ST, Amiga, Spectrum, Apple II etc. [ Link to original proposal ]

6 Likes

Would you be able to add the IFDB Awards to IFWiki?

There could be an “IFDB Awards” page for the event series (IFDB Awards - IFWiki) and an “IFDB Awards 2022” for this event (IFDB Awards 2022 - IFWiki).

The dates would automatically appear on the main page of IFWiki, so could be good publicity.

5 Likes

Okay, I did it (only because I saw Zarf do it really fast on his thread).

6 Likes

I’m going to start adding the polls to IFDB, but in a ‘closed’ state, so I can open them all on Feb 1. Feel free to look through them and see if there are any errors or anything ahead of time.

Language-based polls:

https://ifdb.org/poll?id=jt4evqfisq4f4247

Genre polls:

8 Likes

Continuing the list of polls:
System-based polls:

https://ifdb.org/poll?id=agigaxealmv8kfdq

That’s it!

8 Likes

I hate to bring this up after the huge amount of work you did making all those polls, but should Ink perhaps have its own category? There seem to be 17 Ink games in 2022: Search for Games

4 Likes

Okay, I added those. Thanks! I’ll also take them out of the uncommon system poll.

4 Likes

Minor details:

In the poll of “Best spanish game” you forgot to add “Player’s Choice”.

Also, you can activate the links by writing e.g.:
<A HREF="https://ifdb.org/poll?id=upn4bxua9lpkq3yc"> Any text you like.</A>

1 Like

The Spanish one is fixed on ifdb, just not on here.

I have to go open all the polls manually in a Couple of days, if I can find an easy way to do it I’ll fix the links too. Thanks!

2 Likes

I deleted the one not in the list above.

3 Likes

ONE MORE DAY!! I’m not sure what to vote for tho. It has to be from 2022, right?

4 Likes

Right. Each award has a url for a search you can use on to find eligible games. They’re not clickable right now but I’ll be able to fix that tomorrow since schools are canceled here in Dallas.

4 Likes

I’ve opened the awards, as announced here.

6 Likes

What do we do with games that have more than one genre? I noticed that Wry had not its genre defined so I made it “humor” but then I noticed that the german version is set to “Slice of Life”.

Is it okay for a game to have two genres or what should we do?

2 Likes

Hmm, that’s hard to say. It would be weird to force games to have only one genre since it’s useful for ifdb classification to have multiple ones.

My initial approach is to say let games be eligible for multiple genres, but to remove any genres from games that seem to be applied in bad faith (for instance if someone puts every genre possible on their game). That might be hard to judge, though. The other option is, if a game wins in multiple genres, to contact the owner of the game (if possible) and request them to select one genre, give them that award, and for all other genres take the next-highest game.

6 Likes