Off-topic video games thread

I don’t know what a platinum trophy’s for, but I don’t think they had that on the original incarnation on the Gamecube. I did beat it there as Jill on Invisible mode and got to read some congratulatory note from Shinji Mikami.

I used to do that kind of thing for the PS1 Resident Evils, but not these days. Play for 2.5 hours without saving on the original RE2 then die on the last boss fight. That kind of masochistic thing.

-Wade

2 Likes

I have a game I can recommend against – Chorus (spaceship adventure / dogfighting) for PS4/PS5.

I’ve played a few hours and I’m sick of sloppy bugs at a low level in what’s obviously a huge budget game.

You can fly in any direction. Goals are these little markers that show distance. I think three times, I’ve reached a goal for a mission and it’s either looped or not triggered the next mission. Three times I’ve googled and seen other people with the same problems, or answers saying ‘Yeah, just go in and out of it three times in the long run, it’ll work eventually’ or, ‘The lady’s ship is actually halfway between where the goal says it is and the nearest gate.’

The narrative is also obnoxious in its constant interrupting of other actions. I was glad to see the whispered interior narration from David Lynch’s film of Dune being used by the heroine of this game, but I’m uninstalling this next time I go to the console.

-Wade

2 Likes

Trophies are something Sony came up with during the PS3 era. Instead of trophies, Steam has achievements. You may have run into those. Anyway, the platinum is awarded once all other trophies have been unlocked.

It mostly consists of the masochistic stuff you mentioned: invisible mode, that mode where the item boxes aren’t connected to each-other, no healing run, knife only run (except for the rocket launcher at the end), etc. The Mikami note is part of it. What a nice touch that was!

I got almost every trophy without dying, then died like 4 times in a row trying to do the no save thing. Yikes!

(I had the Game Cube version back in the day; this was my second time around)

3 Likes

I started Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, which is recognized as one of the greats in computer RPGs, and yeah, it’s pretty good. I’m not super far, I haven’t even made it off the first planet yet, but I’m enjoying my time with it for sure. It’s fun.

3 Likes

Having dispensed with Chorus, I tossed up between going to my PS4 backlog (mostly RE games, and a few other things) and my PS2/Wii survival horror backlog.

I chose the latter and, somewhat afraid of RSI-inducement (that’s why I gave up on Silent Hill: Shattered Memories twice – too much bloody controller shaking required) began Cursed Mountain (2009) for the Wii.

The atmosphere is terrific. You’re high up in these Tibetan mountains, it’s always snowing. There’s this simulation of intense warm-cold high contrast light. Mechanically it’s nice and transparent. The only thing they shoulda fixed is when you pick up reading matter, it doesn’t open automatically. You have to go in your menus yourself, which involves pointing at them with the Wiimote.

PS It was written by Bob Bates, most recently of Thaumistry.

-Wade

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a good one! Some Chris Avellone diehards say the sequel is better, but I don’t agree. It’s the last Bioware game that I love unconditionally. Everything they’ve done since has had one or more (usually more) qualities I don’t care for. Dual lightsaber fighting is just cool. I like doing cool stuff in videogames.

[googles]Wow, he was the writer for Unreal 2! What a career. That sounds pretty cool. I bounced off of the Wii fairly quickly because I have “benign” tremors. It may or may not be a surprise that I bought it for the Resident Evil 4 port. I’ve bought that game five times, not counting the remake!

I watched some footage of CM; it looks pretty cool.

Do you play ps2/wii stuff on original hardware or emulation? I once owned a CRT for some of my old consoles, but I got rid of a lot of that stuff when I moved down south (well, further south).

2 Likes

Hehe, you beat me. I’ve bought it a mere three times :slight_smile: Gamecube, Wii… Then I planned to buy it for PS4, but deprioritised it below all other RE games on PS4 – which I now have – except when I opened the box for Resident Evil 6, they had accidenally put the RE4 disc in it at the shop.

Yeah, I do. My PS2 and Wii both work fine. (Even my PS1 works. Though if you leave it too long between goes, greased things can freeze up.) There’s a lot Wii action around my place since my sister lives nearby and the Wii is her main console. I constantly have to do ebay fiddling on her behalf to replace scratched discs, get new controllers… I recently got her the Wiimote Plus (which I had to research myself) and Wii Sports Resort.

My nephew’s introduction to gaming was me showing him Jedi Outcast on the Wii (the gamecube disc) when he was six. And we slowly played all the way through. Now he’s 11, has a Switch and is trying to play through without saving.

If you can’t plug component/RCA connectors to a newer TV, there are now little adapters you can get for PS2 to HDMI or Wii to HDMI. I’ve got one of each for a bit of future-proofing.

-Wade

1 Like

That was one of my favourite Wii games for the atmosphere alone. The story was great. I stood while playing the game so when I had to cast the spells, I felt like an Airbender. :wink:

My absolute favourites were the Endless Ocean games though. That’s a game about exploration if there ever was one.

endlessocean-1671608531959

4 Likes

Don’t we all? :grin:

Oooh, I remember Endless Ocean! That’s a good one. Hayley Westenra’s music is probably my favorite aspect of it, but it’s also been a while since I last played, and really I never got super far. I should play it again.

2 Likes

Heh, yeah I always stand while playing Wii games. Though for ergonomic necessity reasons.

I had Endless Ocean, too. And Endless Ocean Two.

-Wade

2 Likes

A rather stupid question: We played with a console on a New Year’s night party. Someone brought that console and it had a camera so players could perform actions/movements. Was that a Wii or a prior console? It was fun actually.

3 Likes

There was a third party camera for Wii. I think it was sold by Ubisoft to support their Racket Sports game. That wasn’t very successful, though.

Xbox systems had the most successful camera accessories in terms of install base, and they had the largest supporting software library, too.

Playstation has had cameras for PS2, PS3, and PS4, but very limited software support.

However: Xbox systems historically haven’t sold well in Germany.

Unless it was a Raquet Sports game, Wii is out. Otherwise… who can say? Xbox was definitely better at that kind of thing, but Sony had a bigger sales footprint.

3 Likes

Thanks for the answer. I’m sure it wasn’t an Xbox. And it wasn’t Racket Sports if that’s a kind of Tennis or Badminton. In this case I think it must have been an old PS. We played 3 or 4 different games. The right kind of fun for a New Year Eve party back then. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Xbox motion system was called Kinect and was all camera based, I believe. The Sony one had remote-style controllers with different coloured balls on them and was called Move, I think. I never had either system.

If either of these peripherals resonates with you, that might answer your question.

If none of these things seem likely, then maybe you had too much fun that night? :wink:

3 Likes

Hehe, no, not too much… but I’m sure now that it was an XBox (despite my first thought that it was not) because we definitely didn’t hold anything in our hands.

2 Likes

Speaking of Wii motion tracking… this guy was doing stuff on another level 15 years ago.

If you’re impatient, skip to 2:30.

2 Likes

I just watched the GTA VI trailer and thought: Yep, that looks like Florida.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the most Florida trailer ever!

1 Like

Larian originally posted this info to twitter, but a site where I hang out posted these images separately (I’m not going to link twitter because I don’t do that).

I like this kind of thing! I’m sure I’ll replay BG3 sometime next year.

I’ll see if I can round up some alt text for these somewhere.

images

e: I don’t think I ever ran into the dinosaur.

4 Likes

Baldur’s Gate 3 is the sexy one I should play if I have the hardware right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That list totally puts me in mind of the “Stanley Parable World Leaderboard” that pops up in that game.

In total, players have spent a combined 8196 years in the Character Creator” …

Jeez. I shouldn’t be surprised because I love customizing characters, but this kind of suggests the most successful game in the world would be Character Creator 2024. I guess this is kind of The Sims also… And utilities like DAZ3D. And Second Life.

3 Likes