Non-English or Non-Euro/American IF?

French IF is apparently huge, and they love Vorple.

I used to lurk the Russian-language forums because I worked in AXMA which was developed in Russia and had to seek help with it, likely embarrassing myself via Google Translate.

We’ve just integrated our Spanish-language forum categories and Ectocomp has solicited both Spanish and English entries for several years.

7 Likes

There were a couple DOS CYOA games in Hebrew: ערס קווסט גרסת הסופים הרעים - YouTube

2 Likes

A 1989 Czechoslovakian game, originally in Czech language. Lost code, but remade in both English and Czech:

The Adventures of Indiana Jones in Wenceslas Square in Prague on January 16, 1989 - Details (ifdb.org)

5 Likes

Thanks to all. Those are some interesting anwsers. And there will be more, I hope.

Any African games?

2 Likes

We don’t hear about those a lot, but I’m sure they exist. It starts to get a bit more difficult as languages stray from non-Arabic characters and language formats. That’s why we don’t get too much crossover from Russian IF with Cyrillic characters (though they have a scene) and Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Mandarin/Arabic/Hebrew/Greek/etc poses other issues for language parsing that don’t solve easily - unless they’re basically translated by the author or a fanbase.

There are people who do a lot of work with the vagaries of “natural language” parsing in Inform 7 specifically for Spanish, Italian, French and German. Choice narratives tend to be a more popular option since the engine can hyperlink instead of trying to figure out what the player is saying.

3 Likes

Is that how we appear to the rest of the world? Great! :smile: We aren’t that big, especially compared to the English-speaking community, but yeah, we are quite active and are one of the most important community, I guess.

Turns out we have on our site an article (in French) about interactive fiction across the world (dates from a few years ago, so might not be up to date). Languages listed: Spanish, Italian, German, Russian, Slovene, Greek, Icelandic, Japanese, Swedish, Danish, Czech.

Also, not really “foreign” since it’s a constructed language that’s not “tied” with a country, but there’s been at least one work in Esperanto.

9 Likes

The English community is likely not any bigger! It’s a matter of scope. “Huge” in IF means “we have a couple of events every year” or “Sometimes video meetings attract ten people!”

5 Likes

There was talk about Indonesian games at one point… hold on.

ETA:

Here: Any Indonesian?

And Here: IF in another language.

3 Likes

I got curious and realized that on IFDB it might be faster to remove the languages you are not interested in (EDIT: To figure out which languages are on IFDB - when you know it is easier to search for that specific language).

You can do it with this query:

-language:en -language:fr -language:de -language:english -language:da -language:ja -language:it -language:es -language:portuguese -language:ru -language:ch -language:chinese -language:swedish -language:scots -language:esperanto -language:dutch -language:hungarian -language:finnish -language:czech -language:arabic -language:polish -language:slovak -language:bengali -language:slovenian -language:malay -language:serbian -language:jp -language:indonesian -language:cz -language:bosnian -language:romanian -language:catalan -language:korean -language:croatian -language:greek -language:icelandic -language:norwegian

(Corresponding search)
(This search leaves two entries: Someone put html in the language field and another one says that the game " supa lape mi li ike" is the first in Toki Pona, a constructed language.)

So Korean, Indonesian, Malay, Japanese, Bengali, Arabic and Chinese seem to fulfill your requirements.

2 Likes

While we are speaking of constructed languages, I remember IFWiki says Adventure has been translated into Lojban.

4 Likes

I mean, there’s a whole section in this forum now for Spanish speakers’ discussion of IF. From @Jade

translation of the post

Actually the catalog of interactive fiction in Spanish far exceeds 800 works. There’s a lot to choose from, for all tastes and preferences.
My to-do list of games to finish includes Rescate 2019 and Retorno a las Mazmorras de Antur - which along with the Aventura Casi Original are the most lengthy and vivid works in Spanish this past year.
Coming up is the “Rayuela de Arena” tournament which is having this year’s themes chosen right now and looks like it’s going to be a great amount of fun.

3 Likes

Germany had a very active IF scene from the early 80s to the mid 90s. I would say we were close to the Spanish IF scene, which was probably the biggest non-English speaking IF scene in Europe. I remember so many iconic games from that period which, and I think that’s a shame, never saw an English release. Unfortunately the German IF scene is considerably smaller these days with the biggest interest for new IF still being rooted in the retro scene (new releases for the old 8-bit / 16-bit systems).

A few of the games I vividly remember are:

SOUL CRYSTAL (1992), Starbyte Software (C64, Amiga, Atari ST, MS-DOS)

DIE DRACHEN VON LAAS (1991), Attic (Amiga, Atari ST, MS-DOS)

DAS STUNDENGLAS (1990), Weltenschmiede (Amiga, Atari ST, MS-DOS)

Especially Weltenschmiede was considered the German Infocom equivalent. They wrote three illustrated text adventure games which are considered some of the finest German IF classics these days: Das Stundenglas (The Hourglass), Die Kathedrale (The Cathedral) and Hexuma.

Also, very recently my own well-known game “The Curse of Rabenstein” had been translated to German, though I have to admit that I didn’t do the translation myself.

9 Likes

Das Stundenglass and Die Kathedrale have been patiently waiting their turn in my DosBox for years now, until that moment in my life where I find the courage to sit down with a German-English or German-Dutch dictionary and wrestle through them.

I haven’t found a copy of Drachen von Laas yet that will install correctly in my DosBox.

4 Likes

I also hope to play some German games when I have improved my German. It would also be great if some of the classics were translated into English. Such games would be eligible for IFComp etc. but would require that the copyright holders could be reached and that they would grant permission.

2 Likes

The DOS version is hard to come by these days. All the pages that feature abandonware actually have the same version circling around where the story file is missing. The game then doesn’t start after the title screen. I am doing a wild guess that this is the case for you.

Personally I prefer the Atari ST and Amiga versions as these have a more traditional interface where textual output is happening below the graphics in a split-screen UI. The DOS version though feels more Infocom’ish with a text-only interface while graphics of the current location may be displayed with a shortcut.

Anyway, I dug into my archives and found the working DOS version extracted from my own floppy image.

A few things to consider when playing the DOS version:

You have to start the game with the VGA flag, otherwise it will be text-only. So start it with:

LAAS -V

To show the graphic for the current location, you have to hit the DELETE key (ENTF in German). To switch between the two playable NPCs, type 0 on your numpad.

Oh and here a side-note:“Die Drachen von Laas” was planned to be released in English as well under the name “The Laasian Plague” but it never saw the light of day. The predecessor of this game (same engine different story tough) which was called “Ooze” in fact is also available as an English version. You can have a look at it here Ooze: Creepy Nites screenshots - MobyGames

Drachen_DOS.zip (1.0 MB)

7 Likes

Yep, that is indeed the case. Thank you very much for sharing the playable DOS file. Those are some great graphics!

2 Likes

I’m a chilean author and have published several works in Spanish. Check my profile for further info; you may also consider this web page for a nice fanzine, current news and published works.

[INCANUS]

5 Likes

There were some IF games translated from Chinese that were submitted in IFComp 2017 - The Murder in the Fog, The Living Puppet, and The Fifth Sunday. On IFDB there’s also 汉初 by a well-known sci-fi author. Unfortunately, the original website that hosted these games (qiaobooks.com) appears to be down.

7 Likes

There is a relatively young Ukrainian Interactive Fiction community, a few IF works in Ukrainian are currently in progress of making.

13 Likes

Thank you very much for sharing that! Much appreciated. :grin:

2 Likes