New Handbook Now Available for Proofing

[edit:] Due to the activity in the Forum, this post has fallen pretty far down in the list, so I’m bumping it. I’ve had only one response so far, from someone who had read the first 3 chapters. In another week or two, if I don’t get any proofreading comments, I’m going to upload the Handbook to the IF Archive and maybe to some other places too.

[original post begins here:]

The new edition of the Inform Handbook, compatible with 10.1, is nearing completion. I would love to have a few people download it and read through it looking for errors. I’ve retested 98% of the code, ignoring only a few things that were so transparent that they couldn’t possibly be wrong. I added a couple of new sections, deleted some stuff that wasn’t current, and tinkered quite a bit here and there. The section on Extensions has been completely revised.

The number of mistakes in the code examples should be very minimal, so volunteers needn’t feel obliged to retest everything! But if you spot something that looks dodgy, please give it a try. The cross-references with page numbers should not need to be checked, as they’re generated automatically.

I can supply the file in.odt format with 8.5x11 inch pages (link: Dropbox - Handbook Mar21.odt - Simplify your life); or as a PDF (link: Dropbox - Handbook Mar21.pdf - Simplify your life). Can’t upload the PDF here, as it’s 8MB, which is too darn big for the Forum.

You can of course resize the .odt to suit your taste, but be aware that all of the graphics will squidge around, making the different-size pages look like garbage. Also, the cross-references won’t work unless your word processor will let you update the index. I use LibreOffice, so if you have that, you can resize freely and then update the index by right-clicking the Table of Contents.

Is there a deadline for proofreading? No, but I’m pretty sure there are a few people who would rather wait for the official release before diving into it. Also, to be honest, I’d like to be done with the project and move on to other things.

Proofreading is not required. If you want to have the draft file merely for your own purposes in writing a game, please feel free to download it. Bon appetit!

21 Likes

with my LibreOffice (7.0) I get a much smaller .pdf:

~/dload/i7hbokß$ ls -lR
.:
totale 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 pigi pigi 4096 22 mar 13.39 odt
drwxr-xr-x 2 pigi pigi 4096 22 mar 13.36 pdf

./odt:
totale 9664
-rw-r--r-- 1 pigi pigi 3352456 22 mar 13.38 'Handbook Mar21-4odt.pdf'
-rw-r--r-- 1 pigi pigi 6541173 22 mar 13.34 'Handbook Mar21.odt'

./pdf:
totale 7980
-rw-r--r-- 1 pigi pigi 8170174 22 mar 13.34 'Handbook Mar21.pdf'

I don’t think that the cause lies in your more recent version of Loffice (7.4), as reported ny pdfinfo(1), whose lone difference (aside the timestamp, of course…) is in the use of tags:

Your file:

pdfinfo pdf/Handbook\ Mar21.pdf 
Creator:        Writer
Producer:       LibreOffice 7.4
CreationDate:   Tue Mar 21 22:37:06 2023 CET
Tagged:         yes
UserProperties: no
Suspects:       no
Form:           none
JavaScript:     no
Pages:          321
Encrypted:      no
Page size:      612 x 792 pts (letter)
Page rot:       0
File size:      8170174 bytes
Optimized:      no
PDF version:    1.6

my file:

~/dload/i7hbokß$ pdfinfo odt/Handbook\ Mar21-4odt.pdf 
Creator:        Writer
Producer:       LibreOffice 7.0
CreationDate:   Wed Mar 22 13:38:44 2023 CET
Tagged:         no
UserProperties: no
Suspects:       no
Form:           none
JavaScript:     no
Pages:          321
Encrypted:      no
Page size:      612 x 792 pts (letter)
Page rot:       0
File size:      3352456 bytes
Optimized:      no
PDF version:    1.6

I guess you should check your tagging…

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

1 Like

I’d be shocked if tagging more than doubled the size of the PDF, so I suspect some other underlying cause.

Regardless, the tags are important for accessibility, so I don’t recommend removing them.

2 Likes

Here’s a breakdown from my PDF editor:

The two largest offenders are images, at 4.5MB, and “Structural Information” (I’d assume that’s where the tags live?), at 1.6MB.

Asking PDF-XChange to save an optimised copy brings the total file size down to 3.2MB, with images and structural information being reduced to 1.77MB and 222KB, respectively.

Anyways @Jim_Aikin how would you like to receive proofreading comments? I probably won’t be able to go through the entire thing in a reasonable timeframe, but there are a few things that stood out to me.

1 Like

Any method is fine. You can send me a PM through the forum, or email me (midiguru23@sbcglobal.net), or just park comments in this thread.

3 Likes

I don’t even know what tags are, but I found the page in the Export dialog and switched them off. If I export from LibreOffice without tags, I get a 5.8MB file instead of a 7.9MB file. Still too large to upload to the Forum.

1 Like

Please do not remove the tags.

2 Likes

[bump]

1 Like

I’ve sent you some comments via email earlier this week, did you get those?

1 Like