New 2014 build of Inform now out

Thank you. That does explain a few things. Now I can go back to an evening of yodeling, lederhosen and cuckoo clocks.

I find your stereotyping highly offensive, in this modern multicultural day and age, and if you weren’t swedish yourself, I’d slap you with a fish.

I’m kidding, in case you didn’t get it.

As long as it’s not a lutfisk…

Oh, that’s IT! Let the slapping commence!

EDIT: Bet you thought I was linking to a Monty Python sketch, didn’t you? WRONG! This is INTERACTIVE FICTION, baby!

Have some delicious fisk, fellöw citizäns.

Bork bork.

As a very wise man, possibly myself, said at a crossroads in life: “He who despises lutfisk has never known surströmming.”

I suddenly want to know all about the crossroads that would make a wise man come up with that statement. Cough up. Better yet, make a game out of it.

Meh, I don’t think a lutfisk based game would be fruitful at this juncture. Suffice to say that most people who have tasted lutfisk tend to go “oh is that it? Where’s the flavour? I could mimic this with some fish stock and a tub full of gelatin.” Whereas you have to open a can of surströmming underwater and rinse it there to avert having people in the same flat puking their guts out.

Graphic and informative. My favourite combination.

Now I want to try surströmming!

This is where I admit to never having tried it. But my dad did, and I vividly recall him opening it underwater in the wash basin. Some, of course, have no truck with such weakness.

I have, however, smelled it: when I was active amongst the LARP scene in Stockholm, I learned that the reason the orcs smelled so abominably was that orc LARPers would bring surströmming cans with them and dab the runoff ferment on their cloaks. This also meant that midges and stinkfly found their fabric a lovely place to hang out, which may have been a nod to method acting on the orc players’ part.

I couldn’t do it myself, I don’t think. The idea of accentuating my disguise with a substance banned on British airlines for being “too incapacitating to guarantee safe operation during flight” somehow disagrees with me.

So, I posted a PracticeClub/SpeedIF game last night (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13278&start=0#p73521).

Is that the first release of a game built with the new I7? Aside from all of the samples and demo games on the I7 site, of course.

Good news, everyone! I managed to package gnome-inform7 for Raspbian, and it’s now on the Inform 7 downloads page so Raspberry Pi users can try it out. Just be aware that it’s slow.

Are the new Appendix A and B docs available anywhere?

Sorry I missed this post before. I have used Threaded Conversation! And I plan to update it to be adaptive for 6L02, probably after next week. I wasn’t familiar with Speech Motivations, so I’ve just looked through it.

It seems like you’re doing some similar things in your extension as TC does: implicit greetings, ranking responses, and NPCs automatically responding. But I think each extension offers some unique functionality. TC offers more features, such as threading conversations (hence the name), with a lot of properties for authors to use for iterating through the tree and evaluating relative appropriateness of possible things to say.

But SM divides conversational verbs into types of actions, and uses this to record the reason why a topic has been broached; and most importantly, its basic unit of conversation is a game object (either real or conceptual). In contrast, the ‘quips’ of Threaded Conversation, each of which may or may not be associated with one or more game objects, can exist entirely on their own as a series of dialogues. Speech Motivations extends the simple default Ask/Tell system to facilitate more complex conversational systems, without throwing that paradigm out entirely; and so it’s smaller and easier to learn than TC. I think there’s enough design space between them for both to sensibly exist.

What you could do would be to have sections ‘for use with/without’ TC, in which certain features are left out (to prevent overlap) or rewritten in terms of TC, to aid interoperability between the two extensions; or I could do that in terms of SM, instead; or we both could, if you would want to work together on this.

All I have to say is YAY THANK YOU SO MUCH! I may be able to convert my WIP now.

Thanks for taking so much time to answer my question, Chris! Working together sounds good, although my time commitment for updating extensions is pretty small right now. I’ll definitely be in touch when I get back to it, though.

Will there be an update to the FreeBSD version of the CLI compiler?

First of all, I really like the new version of Inform7. It has a lot of good things to be said for it. However, as with all new releases, there are some bugs that make it through testing and into the release. Can someone tell me how correction of some of these is typically handled by the Inform7 team? Should I be expecting that there will be a maintenance release to correct some of the obvious issues?

An example is that the module documentation links do not function by clicking on them from the GUI and I’m sure there are other easily repairable issues. Yes, there is a workaround by right-clicking etc, but it definitely affects the perception of the IDE and not everyone figures out the workaround before frustration sets in.

Emily has said that there was planned to be a maintenance release within some weeks after 6L02, yes.

Thanks, Chris. I’ll be on the lookout for it.