New 2014 build of Inform now out

I’m new to IF and just bought Aaron Reed’s book on making IF. These changes seem to mostly be under the hood and other stuff I wouldn’t notice, but are there any concepts I’ll need to consult the new documentation for because it would be completely different from the book? Thanks for all your hard work.

This may seem ridiculous, but I’m particularly pleased the extension is now available as an ePUB.

As for everything else: Hurray! Huzzah! And general rejoicing in the land.

EDIT - Hey, where is this Public Library I keep reading about?

EDIT 2 - You know… theoretically… with the documentation now in a mobile format, it’s plausible for authors to write their IF on their mobile iOS devices, if they have a text processor capable of handling tabs. It’s not an iOS IDE, but it’s the next best thing.

Linux binaries (Fedora/RedHat, Ubuntu and Debian) now available!

Will there be binaries for Ubuntu 64 bit? The 32 bit is not working in Ubuntu 14.04!
Got an error message: cannot install libgtkspell0:i386

This looks pretty classy! Having read the release notes, I have some questions regarding the new grammar stuff:

1. What is the difference between using the tokens “[regarding X]”, “[it]”, “[there]” and manipulating the prior named object variable directly? It seems like these two forms do exactly the same thing, except that the tokens can appear in the middle of a text (and are thus more useful and frankly easier to follow).
  2. How do I declare a new irregular meaningless verb? “To frob is a verb” doesn’t seem to give me a way to define irregular forms (frobnicated rather than frobbed).

In general the new grammar equipment is truly amazing, though, as is the new mathematics equipment.

“[regarding X]” sets the prior named noun, and clears two other internal variables (prior_named_list and prior_named_list_gender). “[it]” implicitly does a [regarding].

I’d say you should stick to “regarding” (so that all three variables are set) but I see that the Standard Rules have many instances of “now the prior named object is nothing”. So I’m not sure what the best practice is here.

I’m curious about this too. I tried to find out how it works, but the best I could do was this comment in the change log:

Unfortunately, I was not able to find the “newly published syntax specification.” Where is that exactly?

Incidently, this might be an appropriate time to say:

“Writing with Inform” is superbly written. I’m rereading it now in my iOS portable device (the only way to read! (I can’t believe I just said that)) and it’s not just a great learning tool, it infuses me with the desire to start writing. I never actually got anything done, but that’s immaterial - the documentation makes me get want to start writing, to start programming, to start creating. It might not have much recognition, and so many people flock towards alternative handbooks… but WI is my manual of choice.

Aha, I thought it was just me. If you want to report that as a bug, I will confirm it.

(I built the IDE from source, and it works fine. If you’re comfortable with that kind of thing, the source code URL is git://git.code.sf.net/p/gnome-inform7/code, and for ni you can use the copy in the 32-bit deb.)

@eu I tried already build my own, but didn’t find the source for ni! I will try with the 32 bit. Thanks!

Eu é você? :wink:

It is one of the things about I7 that has ruined me for any other programming language ever, I suspect.

Have you found that new French extension?

The Changelog says: “The draft ‘French Language’ extension, which is still incomplete in that it doesn’t translate the Responses, is published alongside this build for the benefit of anybody interested”, but I can’t find it anywhere.

I need it as a sample to write an ‘Italian Language’ extension, since the old one does not work on 6L02. Thank you in advance for any help!

I don’t know either. However I think messing around with Preform is not for declaring new individual verbs, but instead for creating new tenses (e.g. future retrospective intentional) or other fundamental grammatical concepts (e.g. a dual case, gendered declensions, &c). But, you know, I could be wrong; I’m basically making it up here.

Isn’t that what you’d need to do to make the “frog” verb irregular?

Damn you, Mavericks, and your autocorrect. I said “frob” and I meant “frob!”

Yeah, you can read it next to some other allegedly funny programming manuals to see the difference between schtick and wit. I love everything about “Four Cheeses.” Nobody ever counts!

I’ve seen only 32 bit version of the debian Wheezy package in the download list, what happend to the 64 bit one?

Any plans to release it?

Having glanced at the localization folders in \Extensions\Reserved\Languages, I’ve realized with some amount of horror that the flag thumbnail for the Swedish language is incorrect, unless I’ve severely misread the scope of Israel’s territorial ambitions.

I would almost file it as a bug, except I’m not sure I7 even uses those flags yet. That would make it a bug only in the sense that it’s bugging me.

I would rather post a bug report now instead of waiting for the incorrect flag to be actually used.

Done, iniquity redressed.

That’s the flag of El Salvador, not Israel. They have confused the language code for Swedish (sv) with the country code for El Salvador (SV); Sweden’s code is SE.