Monster Rally - An Obscure 1983 DOS Parser Game Uploaded

Yes, as I referenced earlier in the thread. However, we can now fill in a lot of the gaps about the history of that version; such as when it was produced, how it was sold commercially, etc.

3 Likes

I made the point about the EXAMINE command being unique in Monster Rally amongst the six Crayne / Girard games. One feature this game actually shares with the others is a requirement to amass treasures in a room with a LOAD sign. They all share the ADVENT trope of leaving the treasures then embarking via a vehicle into the metaphorical sunset as well.

I also note that the PUSH table seems to be empty in all the games I’ve tried.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, I decoded the strings in the WRK and DAT files, but how did you view the logic that allowed you to see the PUSH tables? Would I be right to presume that that’s in the IND and INX files? If so, what’s the secret to decoding those files?

2 Likes

Did you by any chance ask him whether he’s doing updates to the family tree? I’ve been going through it and making my own updates in a personal document. There are lots of corrections needed and new information that could be added.

2 Likes

I started Adv770 a year ago and quickly realized that my adventuring skills are not up to the task. So I put playing it on hold and began training myself. I have replayed WOOD0350 and finished LUPI0440 for the first time, next in line is PLAT0550. I hope I will be ready to tackle it again in 2024.

3 Likes

It is a great game. So much fun can be had by simply wandering about in Adv770 and putting the superb parser through its paces. Crowther, Woods, Platt and Arnautov is a heady mixture.

3 Likes

I need to find an alternate way such as that to get some submissions to him for that page, if he is indeed updating it; as the comments I sent through his website were gobbled up automatically by his spam filters. (Probably due to the helpful URLs I included)

2 Likes

He is normally really quick at replies in that forum. I must have gone through a few hundred pages with two full play tests of Adv770 in the last nine years.

1 Like

By the way what has happened to CASA? Are there more server problems?

1 Like

There are currently issues with the display and storage of the authoring systems information. If we edit any entries then we seem to be losing that data from the entry as well. So I’ve been holding off actively updating game pages; although some mods are still adding in contributions such as maps and solutions which shouldn’t affect things. Jacob is aware of the issue. I think resolving anything like that is quite complicated as it’s an old system built on top of a forum system for user verification.

2 Likes

I have finally embarked on this game after hitting my previous impasse in Castle Ralf. I think it is fair to say that the author of Monster Rally is at least the same author as the creator of Phantom’s Revenge. The chances of separate authors creating games with a dockside waterfront area and a nice rubber mallet must be pretty astronomical.

1 Like

Good luck with my five month’s queued log jam of maps, reviews etc. And many other contributors I am sure. The CASA flood gates are open!

2 Likes

It wouldn’t take too long to clear anything in the queue. But I’m personally not looking at doing anything until those existing issues are resolved.

3 Likes

There speaks a wise man.

2 Likes

I have been having a run at this game and it seems pretty much bug free; there are a couple of minor parser infelicities in the cell but it seems very well coded for a beta version. It is also pretty tough and easy to soft lock - I have had to restart as a puzzle involving a gypsy’s stolen treasure (like Advent’s pirate) can be made unsolvable if you visit too early. It is of course very large and features a castle, a chateau, a museum, many forest and mountain locations, a windmill and so on. I have discovered a way of transporting myself automatically to the more far-flung regions of the game which is useful as there is a lamp timer. There are also quite a few NPCs, mainly monsters to be circumvented and the whole thing has a nicely nuanced gothic theme. I have so far discovered 255 locations and scored 110 out of 226, so roughly half of the game’s treasures have been found and deposited in the necessary location.

5 Likes

More exertion today has given me a score of 160 put of 226 but I have reached something of an impasse. If anyone can deal with the diode porting grotesque in the windmill please let me know.

2 Likes

This is one of those games with a fairly tight lamp timer so I have had to restart and minimise my journeys into dark places to a lot of once only trips. I have now amassed 22 treasures and attained 205 points out of 226 but it appears that the bullet must be re-used and I have yet to find a way to reshape it in order to reload the gun. I suspect that there is going to be a “last lousy point” too as it is five points for each treasure safely stashed. The windmill remains stubbornly inviolate.

3 Likes

As I only had one unused object I eventually got past the lumbering barrier in the windmill although it’s not one of the game’s more logical solutions. I am now devoid of inspiration as there appears to be only one puzzle left - that is, a crack in a wall through which a beam of light shines. Eleven points are still to be gleaned so the solution must revolve around the previously fired gun and silver bullet. You can use it to kill a certain animal (as it’s a silver bullet no prizes for guessing which animal) but you are then left with a misshapen bullet that you can’t use again. If you shoot the other suggested target the bullet and gun vanish and although I have worked out how to escape from the subsequent incarceration you have presumably softlocked the game as you can’t bag the critter alluded to above as the gun never reappears anywhere. So near and yet so far it would seem.

I have also tried the usual waving, rubbing etc. of all portable objects by the aforementioned crack but no dice. It’s either going to be

1. My usual failing of missing an exit (there are 271 locations so far so it is certainly possible).
  2. Some deus ex machina moment.
  3. I am missing something really obvious.
2 Likes

You missed an option:

1. I am missing something really obscure.

Some of these old-school games are infamous for needing a crystal ball to read the programmer’s mind.

5 Likes

I made it to 221 out of 226 and the ship sailed. I suppose it’s a source code job for the last five points! Not a bad voyage but the game isn’t as good as some of the games from the same stable.

5 Likes