Missing post-2015 XYZZY Awards info in IFWiki

So, what’s the plan for now? Edit the current pages manually, or wait until there’s a database?

Not for ParserComp, no – I think the issue is largely that the second-biggest event, Spring Thing, doesn’t give ranked results but instead has two best-in-show finishers and then everyone else gets various audience-nominated awards/ribbons. So assuming the idea is to have a uniform nomenclature that would cover all events/comps – which seems like it would be a good thing to aim for – the question is what’s the best label for that field.

To my mind, “result” seems like it encompasses both numerical ranking and special things like the Spring Thing awards, whereas I agree “award” seems like an odd nomenclature for just noting that a game finished 17th or whatever.

I can change it from Awards to Results (first of all in the infobox heading, because that’s easy, and in the database later, because that’s more fiddly).

You seem to have the bug, and it would be a shame to postpone that indefinitely, so I’d say manually edit the current lists – but at the same time, add infoboxes with results to all XYZZY pages. I’ll look into adding that Notes column asap.

1 Like

From my experience, there is no one waiting in the wings who has plans to edit the wiki or improve things that isn’t already doing so. I agree that you should just make the changes now.

1 Like

I’ve changed “Awards” to “Results” in the Events infobox, and have added a “Notes” field which can be used for details of puzzles etc.

Just to see how it looks, I added the infobox to the main XYZZY Awards - IFWiki page, and to one of the years: XYZZY Awards 2020 - IFWiki

I can see that there are so many results – even without all of them having been added – that they would look better outside the infobox and within the main content of the page. Also it would look better not to repeat award/result titles for multiple games, e.g. “Best Game finalist” four times.

Essentially it would be good if the database queries could just replicate what’s there. That doesn’t sound like much progress, but in the long run it would make things easier – e.g. add the finalists to “XYZZY Awards 2021” page when that page is created, and those details would appear automatically in the other pages like Best Game, Best Writing, Best Story, Best Setting, etc.

I’m open to any other suggestions (or just criticisms!)

1 Like

Sorry for monopolising here! I added the infobox and Best Individual Puzzle winner to XYZZY Awards 2019 - IFWiki. This was so I could add some queries to XYZZY Awards (Best Individual Puzzle) - IFWiki, to show that pages like that could be updated automatically when the Event pages are updated. I’ll copy and paste the current results here:

Information from Events database

Incomplete as not all XYZZY pages have Events infoboxes.

Best Individual Puzzle winners

Every year’s winners:

Event Game Puzzle
XYZZY Awards 2019 Zozzled Inspiring the artist
XYZZY Awards 2020 The Impossible Bottle Leaving the house

Best Individual Puzzle winners and finalists

For each year, the winner appears at top of list, and others are in alphabetical order.

XYZZY Awards 2019:

• Zozzled (Puzzle: Inspiring the artist)

XYZZY Awards 2020:

2 Likes

Yes, that was my idea as well - keep the current structure, but have it based on database queries.

For now, I’ll just edit the category pages myself to add the missing data.

1 Like