Merk's Review: Riverside

I haven’t decided whether or not I want to post every review here this year, before the competition ends. I think I’ll at least post selected reviews. Either way, I’ll put them up at sidneymerk.com/ by the time the competition ends. When I did this last year, I removed the scores from the header and text. I’ll go ahead and remove the score summary from the header for this (and any others I post), but I’ll leave it in the body (usually toward the bottom) if applicable.

I would recommend that voters do not read my reviews until after you have already played and formed your own opinion. Just in case, I’ll provide some spoiler space. But, I’ll clean all of this up and link to my “official” review after the compeition.

Here goes, with my review of Riverside. Comments and discussion are welcome.

Pretty much the same reaction.

If it’s a joke, holy moly, it was a lot of effort to say “HA GOTCHA”

I’m glad there was a walkthrough. My first reaction was that this was somehow related to the story - a turn for the surreal, maybe - and that I needed to figure out something else to do to push things forward. The little “smiley” at the end of the walkthrough, though… is it “we’re sorry” or “we fooled you” or what?

I think it’s “we’re sorry” just because if it was a joke, it ruins the game’s joke. The walkthrough should have run long, so if you ever glanced at it, you have no idea the joke hits you in the train station. Divide the walkthrough into Funeral, At Home, Riverside, Area 51, etc., just to mess with people.

Oh well. Who can fathom the minds of authors?

I rather enjoyed the game, but was disappointed by the end. I thought it was just a joke and instead of entering the “choochoo” we could enter the real train, but it was the same. For an half game, I gave an half note. Instead of 6.5 it will deserve a 3 :frowning: