Merk's Review: Recess At Last

(Scroll down, please.)

So nobody else had this happen before every single prompt a short ways into the game?

Once it started, it never stopped, and even starting over didn’t solve it after the first few turns. It didn’t interfere with the game, aside from just being an annoyance. But nobody else has mentioned it in their reviews. In fact, some mention they found no bugs at all, and that the game was pretty solid.

It’s as though I played a completely different version… :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

(Update):

Okay, I figured out how to reproduce it. Just take an action that gives the message “that noun did not make sense in that context.” After the twentieth such action, the problem will start and never go away. Incidentally, the asterisk (which I use for denoting comments) gives that message, and I was commenting quite a lot (which is usual for me). Most likely, others didn’t see it because you never did twenty actions for which the “noun” didn’t make sense…

No, I didn’t run into that. In fact, my playthrough was remarkably smooth compared to what you describe: I had little trouble filling out the sheet of paper (and I was apprehensive going into that sequence, because it seemed very very likely that a command requiring the player to type a freeform text answer would fail horribly). And I don’t recall much guess-the-verb, either.

I agree with you about the content, though: mostly this reminded me of how I felt about the early years of elementary school – namely, bored. I was happiest when I could get through the worksheet-type tasks early and read library books instead.

Filling out the paper was one of the smoother parts for me – go figure! It didn’t take long for me to figure out how to read forward from the beginning of the book, answer the questions (I think the game told me the right phrasing in response to trying to write on the worksheet), and bring it back to the teacher. But if you were to look at my transcripts, you’d wonder how I ever managed to make it to the end.

Maybe the repeating error cast the whole thing in a bad light for me. It’s ironic that it probably started happening because I was commenting in the transcript.