Merk's Review: Piracy 2.0

Well, I stalled out again for several days. At this rate, even with only 15 more to go I worry that I might not get through all the entries before the November 15th voting deadline. Kiddos that have been sick and the demands of work (the first phase of a large software project that was supposed to be completed on Friday after three years of pushing back deadlines and redesigns from higher-up isn’t quite ready yet) has kind of left me struggling for free time and motivation. :slight_smile:

But anyway, scroll down for the draft of my latest review.

I see that it was pointed out in emshort’s blog (emshort.wordpress.com/2008/10/08 … piracy-20/) that there are several ways to win (and maybe several ways to get the full 100 points). Maybe I’ve judged the puzzles a little too harshly (going for full points would have bumped the score up to an 8). Hmm. Well, I can’t change my vote (froze it at the 2 hour mark), and I probably won’t work another paragraph into the review (it’s already plenty long), but in retrospect (and I just finished playing a few hours ago) I can see where the puzzles worked better than I realized. The different options available via the computer are straightforward enough that some likely combinations present themselves.

I think the problem for me was that I had a tough time figuring out if I was making the right use of the right options. For instance, I won with 100 points without having to disable the computer or release the gas (I did, in fact, release the gas during a losing ending, but the pirates were immune). If I remember right, I got 100 points for disabling both lasers (but I only knew I needed to do this from a non-optimal ending in which the pirates escaped with the ship after using the lasers), setting the self destruct, waiting about 8 turns before releasing the saucer section, and then turning on the distress signal and setting a new course. But I’m not 100% sure on the order of those last things – and I’m pretty sure I had to immediately leave the bridge when ordered to do so (even a single wasted turn messes that up, if I recall correctly). I remember the timing being pretty tough, and there was a time before where the pirates escaped in the same amount of time.

So I’m just not sure.