Merk's Review: Afflicted

Okay… I just can’t help it. Since I can post my reviews, I feel like I should post my reviews (all of them). So, here’s backtracking to the first I played in this year’s competition. Doug Egan’s Afflicted. Like the others, it’s a draft that may be tweaked or revised in small ways before being officially posted to my site at the end of the competition.

I really liked it, I gave it a bit higher than you, I guess, on my completely arbitrary scale. I liked the idea of the author taking a cliche and running with it.

Yeah, you don’t HAVE to do that horrible thing you’re thinking of. But it cuts off the ‘best’ ending.

I liked it too, really. Of the five I’ve played so far, it has the lead. I might have been a little tough on it.

Found an error: Try to ‘note bar’ through the window east of where you start the game. At least, I assume it’s an error. In fact, trying to note the bar from anywhere gives an error, I think.

Also, more logic silliness than a bug, and this one is a spoiler:

[spoiler]“You see nothing noteworthy about the mutilated corpse.” Unusual, because it did have clever responses for noting the individual body parts.

Also, while there are different endings depending on when you go to the car (you can leave without doing any more than finding enough health violations to shut them down), there’s no special ending for leaving after discovering the corpse. What, I don’t even mention it to the police?

> get angela
I don’t suppose Angela’s body would care for that.

In the endgame, when you’re wandering around with only one hand, possibly a vampire, having indirectly killed one vampire and resurrected another… if you try to walk too far down the street, it still tells you that you shouldn’t spend too long in this neighborhood, and that you should just go back and finish your inspection so you can leave.[/spoiler]

I have decided to bump the score up from 7 to 8, after giving an extra point for implementation. I’ve played too many games in this year’s competition which are broken and untested, not to give credit where credit’s due. There are a few minor problems in Afflicted, but it works pretty well, shows a fair degree of polish, and is definitely a step above some of the games I’ve given a “1” for.