Marking the standard library change

Sorry if this is a bit of a naive question, but do you make the
appropriate mark in the (library version) if you modify the standard
library for creating a game? Do you specify something or leave it
unchanged? Should I make a mark if I make a minor change of just
a couple of lines or if I make a complete translation of the library
into another language? Isn’t that the same as overriding library
functions in your own code? Maybe it’s enough to consider only the fact that the library is used, since in compiled form it can’t be separated from the game.

For my first game in Dialog, coming from Inform 7 and TADS 3, I only overrode the standard library instead of changing it directly, so I left the library version number alone.

For all my subsequent projects, I’ve made substantial changes to stdlib.dg, so I added an extra identifier after the library version number, often the initials of the game title: “0.46-fd”.

I see it as a credit/blame thing. I want credit for all the good things my library changes do, and I also don’t want my errors to be mistaken for a problem with Dialog itself.

Sometimes I’ve added a “-1” after the identifier to allow me to distinguish different versions of my modified library file… but I never remember to increment it, and different versions of the game library only have an effect when I release a new version of the whole game anyway (though I suppose it would be useful if you’re also releasing the source code).

But if you’ve only changed a few lines, I doubt anyone will even be able to tell, let alone care.

Personally I put “(modified)” or the like after the library version, but that’s partially just a reminder to myself if I want to upgrade to a new library at some point in the future.