Map Design Tool

Hi there,
would anyone know a tool that helps me design a Google-Maps-style map of a ficticious town?
Thanks and kind regards,
Grues

3 Likes

By Konstantinos Dimopoulos who wrote the Virtual Cities: An Atlas & Exploration of Video Game Cities book.

5 Likes

I don’t know if this might help:

5 Likes

I use Inkarnate for D&D maps. It might do the job for you.

6 Likes

Some of those maps are incredible. I’m really tempted to use it for feelies.

3 Likes

Ex Novo gets my vote !

2 Likes

I’m actually looking for something that provides results as close to Google Maps as possible. Have to look into the City Generator, the edit options sound like it might do the trick.

The Inkarnate maps are mindblowing. Don’t help me at all but… whoah. Awesome stuff.

4 Likes

I just clicked on City Generator - it has a “Google style” under color scheme. I didn’t realize you could zoom in and it actually simulates 3-D buildings as well!

4 Likes

Maybe here is something for your needs:

5 Likes

If you need very fine-grained control or want to draw the map yourself, you could also take a look at this “Campaign Cartographer” software bundle that’s currently on sale: https://www.humblebundle.com/software/maps-bonanza-encore-software

It’s typically used for fantasy games, but it also seems to support a (small) selection of modern styles (cf. the “Modern Mapper” set), which you could maybe tweak to match Google Maps visually.

I haven’t tried it myself, and it has a reputation for being a bit complicated, but it’s a very widely-used mapmaking program, AFAIK.

They’ve offered this bundle several times in the last few years, so if you’re undecided, you can probably wait for the next occasion.

Examples:

6 Likes