Making a compilation of Z-code games. Authors, please look here!

TL;DR: Are you the author of one of the games in the list below (sorted by author name)? Would you mind if it was included in a collection that is distributed for free?

I’m a proud owner of the new turbo-charged 8-bit computer MEGA65. Now I’d like to release one or more compilations of Z-code games for this platform, and make this compilation(s) available for download, for free. The number of MEGA65 computers in the wild is still small, but growing, and one can also use an emulator to run MEGA65 programs on any modern computer. I’m hoping to get some more MEGA65 owners interested in IF, by offering them some quality titles in a nice package.

Below is a list of the games I’d like to distribute in such a collection, sorted by author. If you are the author of any of these games, and you know that you’ll [a] allow me to distribute your game(s) or [b] won’t allow it, or perhaps [c] would like to discuss it first, please let me know by replying to this thread or dropping me a PM. For games where I don’t get a reply, I will make an effort to contact the authors, but I know it’s not always easy to get hold of authors several years after they wrote a game.

Game Author
Photopia Adam Cadre
Endless, Nameless Adam Cadre
9:05 Adam Cadre
Varicella Adam Cadre
Lost Pig Admiral Jota
Spider and Web Andrew Plotkin
Shade Andrew Plotkin
The Dreamhold Andrew Plotkin
Theatre Brendon Wyber
She’s Got a Thing For a Spring Brent VanFossen
Augmented Fourth Brian Uri!
The Gostak Carl Muckenhoupt
For a Change Dan Schmidt
Calypso Dave Footitt
Suveh Nux David Fisher
Morris Dee Cooke
Metamorphoses Emily Short
Pytho’s Mask Emily Short
Captain Cutter’s Treasure Garry Francis
Curses! Graham Nelson
Jigsaw Graham Nelson
All Things Devours Half sick of shadows
Dangerous Curves Irene Callaci
The Fire Tower Jacqueline A. Lott
Vespers Jason Devlin
The King of Shreds and Patches Jimmy Maher
Make It Good Jon Ingold
All Roads Jon Ingold
Djinn On the Rocks Joshua Wilson
Tethered Linus Åkesson
The Impossible Bottle Linus Åkesson
The Edifice Lucian P Smith
Anchorhead Michael Gentry
Ad Verbum Nick Montfort
Aisle Sam Barlow
Slouching Towards Bedlam Star Foster and Daniel Ravipinto
The Baron Victor Gijsbers
Adventure William Crowther and Donald Woods

7 Likes

Mine are fine.

2 Likes

Reply. Mine is fine. However, I am aware of at least one bug and an enhancement that I’ve been meaning to fix. What’s your time frame? Would I have time to fix those? I can also give you a z3 version if you’d prefer.

1 Like

If you’d like a few days to fix some bugs, that’s fine.

If you think the z5 version has a nicer presentation, let’s go for the z5 version. The MEGA65 has a 40 MHz CPU and lots of memory, and should be able to handle pretty much any Inform 6 title, so no need to go to z3 just to save on bytes or CPU cycles.

From memory, I think the only difference between the z3 version and the z5 version is that the latter uses a copyright symbol and supports undo.

Happy for mine to be included.

1 Like

The MEGA65 interpreter can’t produce a copyright symbol, and it doesn’t support undo. Sounds like the z3 version is the best choice.

1 Like

Will it be called Lost Treasures of Inform?

(I’m still waiting for someone to make a competition by the name of InfoComp…)

3 Likes

:smiley:

Well, I’m hoping to include a mix of Inform 6, PunyInform and Dialog games, maybe even a ZIL game. I’ve even tried some Inform 7 games, but they tend to be too slow on this platform.

The last time I did something like this, it was called the Post Infocom Text Adventure Collection. I haven’t decided on a name for this collection yet.

2 Likes

Jokes aside, I would totally love to see this compilation in a nice box with stuff and maps and feelies and whatnot. I wouldn’t be surprised if more of these were sold than there are actual mega65 devices…

We’ve all had enough of this F2P crap¹ now and want the good stuff again!

¹ Of course I don’t mean IF, which is actually and really almost always free, but all the stuff that is distributed everywhere, especially on mobile phones.

1 Like

the 350 point Adventure is implemented both in Inform6, ZIL and Dialiog. Do you pick one or have all three for comparison?

1 Like

This compilation is meant to be played and enjoyed. One version will do.

1 Like

Feel free.

2 Likes

OK by me!

2 Likes

You can include my game. Thanks for giving it a little new life.

2 Likes

Feel free.

2 Likes

Many thanks to the authors who have replied!

I have now tried other ways of contacting the authors who I haven’t heard from. This far I can tell I’m having problems reaching the following people:

Brendon Wyber
Irene Callaci
Michael Gentry
(Carl Muckenhoupt - found!)

If anyone has an email address or something, please PM me. Thanks!

Carl Muckenhoupt seems pretty active on Twitter, might be worth DMing him:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CarlMuckenhoupt

1 Like

That did the trick. Got permission from Carl. Thanks!

The people I now mainly need help getting hold of are Irene Callaci and Jason Devlin.