Looking for info on a game from the late 70's, early 80's

Looking for any info on the history of an old text adventure game from the late 70’s, early 80’s. Back in school at Falls Church HS in Fairfax, VA, we had an HP2000 access timeshare system. There was a game written in BASIC, unfortunately generically named Adventure II. Back in the day I managed to print out a copy of about half the code, and using this as a reference, was able to find and print out pretty much all of the data files.

I have been looking for more info on this for some time, and recently found someone else looking for more as well: In search of _Adventure ]I[_ (1981-ish) – Arthur O'Dwyer – Stuff mostly about C++. They have a version III of the source code mostly complete and quite different than v2 I have, but pretty much equivalent logically, but none of the data files. Using what I had scanned in of those files, the SimH HP3000 emulator, and this newer version of the source code, we have a running game.

Interested in learning Inform 7, I also recreated the game in that environment (with some enhancements), and also created a map.

I plan to upload my Inform version of the code at some point, but I would love to find someone with more on the history of the game, ideally who the author(s) were to provide proper attribution, and if there is any newer versions of the code or data that could be incorporated into what we have. Still trying to decide what unique name to give this game, Adventure II or III is about as generic as it gets. There are very few unique words in the game, other than perhaps an enemy named a Zarka.

Anyone remember this game or having any additional info about it? Including a partial playthrough, limited to my maximum post size:

Somewhere nearby is the land of Erehwon, a mysterious place filled with fantasy and magic.  It is your task to explore this unknown region, requiring your physical skill and cunning to be at their peak.  I will be your eyes and ears in this expedition, describing your surroundings and any points of interest that you happen to run across.

The object of the game is to collect all of the valuables and to put them in the treehouse (you will find the treehouse soon).

Adventure II / ]I[
An Interactive Fiction by original authors(s) unknown
Inform 7 version w/enhancements by Alex Guma
Based on original HP2000 BASIC code and data.
Release 1 / Serial number 231018 / Inform 7 v10.1.2 / D

Meadow
You're in a vast meadow that stretches endlessly in all directions.  To the west is a tree.

>w

Meadow Near Tree
You're in the meadow, underneath a large oak tree.  There are small carvings on the tree, and they seem to mean something.
I see:

There is a small structure in the tree.

>u

Treehouse
You're in a treehouse, barren of furnishings except a cubicle to the south, which is filled with shimmering green light.
I see:

A battery-powered lamp.

>take lamp
Taken.

>in

Green Cubicle
You're in a cubicle. A green glow surrounds you on all sides, but it is impossible to see the source of it.
I see:

There is a black 6-inch lever embedded in the wall of the cubicle.

>turn on lamp
You switch the lamp on.

>pull lever
Your molecules shimmer away...

Small Room
You are in a small, dark room with a passage to the north and a set of ascending stone stairs to the east.

>e

Turkish Bath
You're in the Turkish Bath.  Soothing mist surrounds you.  You may go down stone stairs to the west, or up a metal ramp To the east.
I see:

A transparent glass flask

>e

Garden
You have entered a small garden.  The soil is very loose here.  To the west is a metal ramp that leads downward; to the north is a large glass building.
I see:

A delicate Ming vase

>w

Turkish Bath
You're in the Turkish Bath.  Soothing mist surrounds you.  You may go down stone stairs to the west, or up a metal ramp To the east.
I see:

>e

Garden
You have entered a small garden.  The soil is very loose here.  To the west is a metal ramp that leads downward; to the north is a large glass building.
I see:

A delicate Ming vase

>e
You can't go that way.

>n

Greenhouse
You're in an empty glass building that seems to have been used for a greenhouse.  To the north is a house; to the south is a garden;  to the west is a store room.

>w

Store Room
This is a very tiny store room that has a large hole in the floor on the western side of the room, and an exit to the east.
I see:

A soft, velvet foot stool

>w

Hall of Tones
You're in the Hall of Tones.  Pleasant tunes can be heard as you decide whether to go west, or up steep steps to the east.
I see:

A stradivarius cello

>take cello
Taken.

[Your score has just gone up by twenty points.]

>e

Store Room
This is a very tiny store room that has a large hole in the floor on the western side of the room, and an exit to the east.
I see:

>e

Greenhouse
You're in an empty glass building that seems to have been used for a greenhouse.  To the north is a house; to the south is a garden;  to the west is a store room.

>n

Living Room
You are in the living room of the house.  Exits: North, south, east, and a very narrow passage to the west.
I see:

An ancient piece of parchment

>e

Foyer
You are in a small foyer, barren of any furnishings, except for a large glass cubicle to the south, which is filled with shimmering red light. Exits: East and west, and a northern exit leading upstairs.

>n

Hallway
You're in a hallway.  There are various openings to the north and west, and two stairways: one leading up to the east and one down to the foyer.

>w

Bathroom
You're in and old-fashioned bathroom, a very tidy place, with exits to the north and east,
I see:

A can of disinfectant spray
A Porcelain Toilet
An Old-fashioned bathtub

>take spray
Taken.

>e

Hallway
You're in a hallway.  There are various openings to the north and west, and two stairways: one leading up to the east and one down to the foyer.

>e

Attic
You're in the attic.  The only exit is a stairway leading downward.
I see:

A leather work glove

>take glove
Taken.

>put on glove
You put on the glove.

>w

Hallway

>n

Sitting Room
You're in the sitting room.  Exits: west and south, and a cubicle to the east, filled with shimmering purple light.
I see:

An ivory-handled comb

>e

Purple Cubicle
You're in a cubicle.  A purple glow surrounds you, but you cannot see the source of it.
I see:

>pull lever

Blue Cubicle
You are in a glass cubicle.  Surrounding you is a shimmering blue glow, but it is impossible to see the source of it.
I see:

>pull lever

Red Cubicle
You are in a glass cubicle.  Surrounding you is a shimmering red glow, but it is impossible to see the source of it.
I see:

A three-foot long staff

>take staff
Taken.

>i
You are carrying:
  a staff
  a glove (being worn)
  a can
  a cello
  a lamp (providing light)

>pull lever

Green Cubicle
You're in a cubicle. A green glow surrounds you on all sides, but it is impossible to see the source of it.
I see:

>pull lever

Small Room
You are in a small, dark room with a passage to the north and a set of ascending stone stairs to the east.

>n

Chest Room
You are in a very dusty room with a teakwood floor.  You may leave this room to the north and south.
I see:

A dusty oak chest

>n

Maze
You are in a twisting maze of little passages, all alike.
I see:

A set of iron keys

>w

Maze
You are in a little maze of twisty passages, all alike.

>u

Strobe Room
You are in a very peculiar room with no apparent exits.  There is an unusual flashing light that fills the room, seemingly coming from far above you.
I see:

A cube of pliable material

>take cube
Taken.

>s
You can't go that way.

>d

Maze

>d

Maze

>s

Maze
You are in a twisty maze of little passages, all alike.

>d

Mystery Room
You are in the Mystery Room, a very lovely room with exits to the east, west and south.  The hole in the ceiling is too far up to use.
I see:

A wrinkly old witch

>kiss witch
Smack!
There is a billowing cloud of yellowish-brown smoke!
As the smoke clears, the hideous hag transforms into a sexy young girl!

>s

Slime Room
This room's walls are covered with a mixture of blood and slimy ooze. Exists: North and south.
I see:

A threatening mass of slime on the floor

>spray slime
The slime quickly dehydrates and becomes a powder that falls into the crevices in the floor.

[Your score has just gone up by ten points.]

>drop spray
Dropped.

>w
You can't go that way.

>s

Waterfall
You're in a cool room with a towering waterfall filling up the eastern part of the room.  You're on a path that bends north and west, and there's a glass cubicle to the south, which is filled with shimmering blue light.
I see:

A pool of clear water [in waterfall]

>w

Mine Field
This room is only five feet high, and has exits to the south and east.
I see:

A great number of little dirt hills

>wave staff
The little hills are gone!

>drop staff
Dropped.

>s

Sewer Pipe
You are at the northern end of a very long sewer pipe.  To the north is a low room, and there are numerous holes in the floor of the pipe.
I see:

A huge gorilla-like beast

>play cello
Squeeek!

The beast is calmed by your music and leaves.

>drop cello
Dropped.

[Your score has just gone down by twenty points.]

>s

Sewer Pipe
You're in a very long, north-south sewer pine.  You ran hear a strange, distant, echoing sound, apparently an animal humming to himself.

>n

Sewer Pipe
You are at the northern end of a very long sewer pipe.  To the north is a low room, and there are numerous holes in the floor of the pipe.
I see:

A stradivarius cello

>u
You can't go that way.

>d

Treasure Room
This giant room is the home of the most valuable treasure in the cave. In the direct center of the room, a sphere of great beauty was placed many years ago.  The only exits to this room are the stairs above you and a passage to the west.
I see:

A shining Platinum globe with readable coating

>w

East-West Passage
You're in a very tight east-west passageway.  There is also a small hole in the floor on the northern side of the passage.  A freezing wind blows out of the hole.

>n

Cold Room
You're in an extremely cold room.  Icicles hang from the ceiling, and near a particularly large icicle in the southern part of the room, is a hole.
I see:

A steamy white brick-like block

>take block
Taken.

>i
You are carrying:
  a block
  a cube
  a glove (being worn)
  a lamp (providing light)

>eat cube
Somewhat chewy and refreshing, breathing seems somehow easier.

>s

East-West Passage
You're in a very tight east-west passageway.  There is also a small hole in the floor on the northern side of the passage.  A freezing wind blows out of the hole.

>w

Sandy Shore
You're on a sandy shore.  To the west is some more sand, but it seems to be mixed with water.  There is a tight passage leading east.

>w

Quicksand
You're in a pool of sand.  To the west you can see a path leading outside, and to the east, a shore.

You are sinking in quicksand.

>i
You are carrying:
  a block
  a glove (being worn)
  a lamp (providing light)

>drop block
As the block sinks, the quicksand instantly freezes over hard enough to support your weight.

[Your score has just gone up by twenty-five points.]

>w

Rocky Path
The floor here is quite rocky, making your footing quite unsure.  You're on a path with a lighted passage to the south and a dark tunnel to the north. To the east is a somewhat soupy pool of sand.

>s

Base of Mountain
You're at the base of a mountain.  It is snowing lightly here, partially covering an assortment of heavy wires.  To the north is a cave leading underground,
I see:

Strange contraption
Beige button marked ~ HIGH VOLTAGE ~
Signpost partially covered with snow

>push button
The lift lurches forward and carries you swiftly into the sky.  A striking view of the Mt. Frobozz panorama can be seen.

After traveling for several minutes, the lift stops with a jerk and drops you in the snow.

Summit of Mountain
You're at the summit of Mount Frobozz.  The eastern slope is impassable, hut there are trails to the north and south.  An inviting, cozy lighted shack is to the west.  It is snowing quite heavily here.
I see:

Strange contraption
Immense bulletin board

>in

Ski Shack
You are in a comfortable ski shack, apparently a shelter from the cold weather outside.  There's a rickety staircase leading downward in this building.
I see:

A silver disc with markings

>take disc
Taken.

>out

Summit of Mountain
You're at the summit of Mount Frobozz.  The eastern slope is impassable, hut there are trails to the north and south.  An inviting, cozy lighted shack is to the west.  It is snowing quite heavily here.
I see:

Strange contraption
Immense bulletin board

>s

Bunny Slope
You're at the top of the Bunny Slope!  It seems as though a child would have no problem skiing down, although walking down is out of the question. A path leads away to the north.

>drop disc
Dropped.

>get on disc
You are aboard the disc!

>launch
You coast down the gentle grade with ease.
You seem to have dislodged something on the way down.

Base of Mountain
You're at the base of a mountain.  It is snowing lightly here, partially covering an assortment of heavy wires.  To the north is a cave leading underground,
I see:

Strange contraption
A silver disc with markings
A white crystal cylinder
Signpost partially covered with snow

>take cylinder
Taken.

>n
You're still on the disk!

>get up
You are off the SNO-DISC.

>n

Rocky Path
The floor here is quite rocky, making your footing quite unsure.  You're on a path with a lighted passage to the south and a dark tunnel to the north. To the east is a somewhat soupy pool of sand.

>e

Quicksand
You're in a pool of sand.  To the west you can see a path leading outside, and to the east, a shore.
I see:

>e

Sandy Shore
You're on a sandy shore.  To the west is some more sand, but it seems to be mixed with water.  There is a tight passage leading east.

>e

East-West Passage

>e

Treasure Room
This giant room is the home of the most valuable treasure in the cave. In the direct center of the room, a sphere of great beauty was placed many years ago.  The only exits to this room are the stairs above you and a passage to the west.
I see:

>u

Sewer Pipe
I see:

A stradivarius cello

>n

Mine Field
I see:

A three-foot long staff

>n
You can't go that way.

>e

Waterfall
You're in a cool room with a towering waterfall filling up the eastern part of the room.  You're on a path that bends north and west, and there's a glass cubicle to the south, which is filled with shimmering blue light.
I see:

>swim
For some reason, you can breathe underwater!  After swimming for a while, you surface on the other side of the waterfall.

Wet Room
You're in a very wet room on the eastern side of an immense waterfall. There are openings to the north and south, and a small room to the east.
I see:

>s

Reactor Room
You're in a warm room with an exit to the north.  The walls are covered with large metal slabs, apparently for insulation purposes.  In the center of the room is a low platform with a slot.  A bright orange glow emanates from a small grating on the southern wall.
I see:

Small grating on the southern wall
Low platform with a small slot in it.
metal insulation slabs
large wheel mounted on the platform

>i
You are carrying:
  a cylinder
  a glove (being worn)
  a lamp (providing light)

>put cylinder in slot
As the cylinder goes in, the hum from the reactor ceases.

[Your score has just gone up by fifty points.]

>n

Wet Room
You're in a very wet room on the eastern side of an immense waterfall. There are openings to the north and south, and a small room to the east.
I see:

>e

Closet
You're in a small closet, perhaps used for storage of scientific supplies. The exit is to the west.
I see:

A pair of orange rubber boots

>put on boots
(first taking the boots)
You put on the boots.

>w

Wet Room
I see:

>s

Reactor Room
You're in a warm room with an exit to the north.  The walls are covered with large metal slabs, apparently for insulation purposes.  In the center of the room is a low platform with a slot.
I see:

metal insulation slabs

>turn wheel
The gratings slide away.

>s

Reactor
You are inside the reactor core, a large, circular room with a reinforced spherical ceiling.  The blinding glare from the reactor makes it difficult to make out any other features of the room.  The floor appears to be covered in several inches of water.  There is an access grating on the northern wall.
I see:

Small grating on the northern wall
A flawless blue sapphire

The boots protect your feet from the water on the reactor floor.

>take sapphire
Taken.

>score
You have so far scored 165 out of a possible 1400, in 106 turns, earning you the rank of Beginner.

>n

Reactor Room
You're in a warm room with an exit to the north.  The walls are covered with large metal slabs, apparently for insulation purposes.  In the center of the room is a low platform with a slot.
I see:

metal insulation slabs

>n

Wet Room
I see:

>swim
For some reason, you can breathe underwater!  After swimming for a while, you surface on the other side of the waterfall.

Waterfall
I see:

>n

Slime Room
This room's walls are covered with a mixture of blood and slimy ooze. Exists: North and south.
I see:

>n

Mystery Room
You are in the Mystery Room, a very lovely room with exits to the east, west and south.  The hole in the ceiling is too far up to use.
I see:

A sexy young girl

>w

Hall of the Sea
You have entered the Hall of the Sea, a room filled with blue-green mists.  Mysterious shadows seem to dance upon the walls as your Lamp sheds light through the eerie colored fog.  The only exit is to the east.
I see:

A perfectly round pearl

>take pearl
Taken.

>i
You are carrying:
  a pearl
  a sapphire
  a pair of boots (being worn)
  a glove (being worn)
  a lamp (providing light)

>e

Mystery Room
I see:

A sexy young girl

>e

Chamber of Time
You are in a very beautiful room, the Chamber of Time.  Exits are to the east and west.
I see:

A finely-crafted Swiss timepiece

>w

Mystery Room
I see:

A sexy young girl

>e

Chamber of Time
You are in a very beautiful room, the Chamber of Time.  Exits are to the east and west.
I see:

>take watch
Taken.

>e

Hall of Tones
You're in the Hall of Tones.  Pleasant tunes can be heard as you decide whether to go west, or up steep steps to the east.

>e

Store Room
I see:

>i
You are carrying:
  a watch
  a pearl
  a sapphire
  a glove (being worn)
  a lamp (providing light)

>s
You can't go that way.

>e

Greenhouse

>s

Garden
I see:

A delicate Ming vase

>n

Greenhouse

>n

Living Room
You are in the living room of the house.  Exits: North, south, east, and a very narrow passage to the west.
I see:

>take all
parchment: You're load is too heavy.  You'll have to drop something first.

>n

Kitchen
You're in a kitchen.  There are two exits, one to the west and one to the south.  The scent of food is in the air.
I see:

A sharp butcher's knife
A generous slice of pizza

>take all
knife: You're load is too heavy.  You'll have to drop something first.
pizza slice: Taken.

>n
You can't go that way.

>e
You can't go that way.

>n
You can't go that way.

>s

Living Room
I see:

>e

Foyer
You are in a small foyer, barren of any furnishings, except for a large glass cubicle to the south, which is filled with shimmering red light. Exits: East and west, and a northern exit leading upstairs.

>e

Front Yard
You're in the front yard of the house. To the west is a door, to the south a dark hole, and meadow everywhere else.

>e

Meadow
You're in a vast meadow that stretches endlessly in all directions.  To the west is a tree.

>s
The Meadow is too vast to just wander around in it.

>w

Meadow Near Tree
You're in the meadow, underneath a large oak tree.  There are small carvings on the tree, and they seem to mean something.
I see:

>u

Treehouse
You're in a treehouse, barren of furnishings except a cubicle to the south, which is filled with shimmering green light.

>i
You are carrying:
  a pizza slice
  a watch
  a pearl
  a sapphire
  a glove (being worn)
  a lamp (providing light)

>drop watch
Dropped.

>drop pearl
Dropped.

>drop boots
(first taking the boots off)
Dropped.

>drop glove
(first taking the glove off)
Dropped.

>i
You are carrying:
  a pizza slice
  a sapphire
  a lamp (providing light)

>drop sapphire
Dropped.

>in

Green Cubicle
I see:

>turn on lamp
That's already on.

>x lamp
The lamp is currently switched on.

A small display on the lamp indicates the remaining charge: 68%.

>pull lever

Small Room

>e

Turkish Bath
I see:

>e

Garden
I see:

A delicate Ming vase

>take
(the vase)
Taken.

>e
You can't go that way.

>n

Greenhouse

>w

Store Room
I see:

>take stool
Taken.

>e

Greenhouse

>n

Living Room
I see:

>take all
parchment: Taken.

>read parchment
The parchment contains words and sketches:
           ------------------------
           | Le Jardin       /    |
           |                /     |
           |               /      |
           |  La Route -> /       |
           |             /        |
           |   ----------         |
           |  /                   |
           |_/          \ /       |
           |             X        |
           |            / \       |
           ------------------------

>n

Kitchen
You're in a kitchen.  There are two exits, one to the west and one to the south.  The scent of food is in the air.
I see:

A sharp butcher's knife

>take all
knife: Taken.

>n
You can't go that way.

>w

Library
You're in a library.  The only apparent exists to the room are: A passage to the south and an archway to the east.
I see:

A tiny yellow book with a broken binding

>x library
Other than the yellow book, there are no other books left.

>take book
Taken.

>read book
            Care and Feeding of Your Zarka
                Copyright (C) 1999 by

FROBOZZ MAGIC BOOK COMPANY.
                All rights reserved.

Zarkas need a daily supply of water,
         and like a good combing every week.
         They eat very little, but when they
         are hungry, they are very picky.

Most zarkas will eat only pizza, and
         this preference was probably estab-
         lished by the unusual climate in which
         they live.  Zarkas always enjoy a day
         outside, which helps to make their
         reddish-purple fur shiny.  Because of
         their size, they can be found anywhere
         particularly near caves, usually in
         an enclosed place.  They love precious
         metals.  Zarkas have an interesting
         way of reproducing: they find anoth...

The Printing has faded with age and becomes undecipherable here.

>x library
The library is empty, all the books appear to have been taken.

>e

Kitchen

>s

Living Room

>e

Foyer

>e

Front Yard
You're in the front yard of the house. To the west is a door, to the south a dark hole, and meadow everywhere else.

>e

Meadow

>s

>u

>w

Meadow Near Tree
I see:

>u

Treehouse
I see:

A flawless blue sapphire
A leather work glove
A pair of orange rubber boots
A perfectly round pearl

>i
You are carrying:
  a book
  a knife
  a parchment
  a stool
  a vase
  a pizza slice
  a lamp (providing light)

>drop stool
Dropped.

>drop book and parchment
book: Dropped.
parchment: Dropped.

>drop vase
The vase gently lands on the soft stool.

>i
You are carrying:
  a knife
  a pizza slice
  a lamp (providing light)

>turn off lamp
You switch the lamp off.

>i
You are carrying:
  a knife
  a pizza slice
  a lamp

>score
You have so far scored 395 out of a possible 1400, in 186 turns, earning you the rank of Novice.

>in

Green Cubicle
I see:

>turn on lamp
You switch the lamp on.

>pull lever

Small Room

>n

Chest Room
You are in a very dusty room with a teakwood floor.  You may leave this room to the north and south.
I see:

A dusty oak chest

>unlock chest
What do you want to unlock the chest with?

>keys
You can't see any such thing.

>i
You are carrying:
  a knife
  a pizza slice
  a lamp (providing light)

>n

Maze
You are in a twisting maze of little passages, all alike.
I see:

A set of iron keys

>take keys
Taken.

>w

Maze

>s

Maze
You are in a twisty maze of little passages, all alike.

>d

Mystery Room
I see:

A sexy young girl

>girl, follow me
girl: "Lead on."

>s

Slime Room
I see:

The girl arrives from the north.

>s

Waterfall
I see:

>w

Mine Field
I see:

A three-foot long staff

The girl arrives from the east.

>s

Sewer Pipe
I see:

A stradivarius cello

>d

Treasure Room
I see:

The girl arrives from above.

>take glove
You can't see any such thing.

>take globe
As you reach for the globe, an alarm rings briefly, and a horrible Zarka appears from inside to defend it!

>give zarka the pizza
The Zarka becomes you friend for life and shows you an exit on the western wall.

>zarka, follow me
zarka: "Grunt!"

>w

East-West Passage

The zarka arrives from the east.

>w

Sandy Shore

>w

Quicksand
I see:

>n
You can't go that way.

>w

Rocky Path

>n

Archaeology Room
You're in a room filled with cobwebs.  There appear to have been recent archaeological diggings in this area.  Passages exit to the north and south.
I see:

A dirty shovel

The girl arrives from the south.

The zarka arrives from the south.

>take shovel
Taken.

10 Likes

Hi Alex,

One one of the best sources for classic games is The Internet Archive. There you can find many Classic & Retro Games many with source code.

The games and source codes are available for free-use under their creative Content license.

Archive.org

Enjoy

Rob

2 Likes

Firstly, welcome to the forum. There are several people here that are interested in the history of Adventure, the taxonomy of all the different versions and the recovery and restoration of the missing mainframe games.

There are a couple of games titled ‘Adventure II’, but the HP BASIC game is different to those and should be titled ‘Adventure ]I[’.

As you know, there are ‘Adventure ]I[’ files printed by Rick Hammerstone and yourself. From what I understand, these files are from different versions of the game and neither set is complete.The files that have been found have been scanned, OCRed and preserved on Arthur O’Dwyer’s GitHub page (linked in your original post).

This game is not derived from Adventure. Despite this, Arthur has nominally given it the label ANON1400 in the Adventure taxonomy, but this label applies to both versions. I think your reconstruction should be labelled GUMA1400, as it is different to both versions of ANON1400.

David Platt’s 550-point version of the game (PLAT0550) was known as ‘Adventure 3’, but I haven’t found any reference to ‘Adventure III’, so I think you’d be safe to use that. I’d avoid ‘Adventure II’ because, as mentioned above, there are a few games that already use this title.

Good luck in your search for more info on the authors, history and files for the original HP BASIC ‘Adventure ]I[’.

4 Likes