Looking for an old isometric PC adventure game from the 2000s

I’m looking for a game, or series of games which I discovered in the early 2000s. All I remember is that they were monochrome isometric adventure games or RPGs, and that they were played, like IF, with an interpreter program which loaded each separate chapter of the series as a file. The focus of the games was exploration and puzzle solving, and there was no combat or anything requiring digital dexterity. The chapter I played had an ecclesiastical theme, I believe it was set in a monastery with lots of books. The look of the game was quite ornate and baroque. The only other thing I remember was that the player character would talk directly to the player, looking towards the screen whenever they spoke. I once dropped an important item into a bottomless pit and the little guy looked up and said “That was a bit silly.”

5 Likes

Do you know which machine it ran on? it may not be on a lot of platforms.

1 Like

Oh yes, sorry. It was on the PC.

2 Likes

Maybe it was an English version of “La Abadía del Crimen” (The Abbey of Crime) or its remake: “Remake de La Abadía del Crimen”?

It’s not really a series, as far as I know, but it is an isometric adventure game set in a monastery, and there are monochrome versions.

I don’t think it’s played with an interpreter as such, but maybe you played one of the versions on an emulator?

Some links:

3 Likes

That looks like a great game but I don’t think it’s the one. I think the different chapters had different settings, and maybe even different player characters. I will give this one a go, though!

3 Likes

Wow! Now I want that game too…

2 Likes

Maybe it was Little Big Adventure, and you were playing on a Machintosh with monochrome monitor?

2 Likes

I’ve never owned a Mac or a monochrome monitor! I guess it will remain a mystery.

2 Likes

The platform was MS-DOS? Maybe you want to add that to the original message, so we can narrow the game.

2 Likes

It says PC in the title of the post. I don’t remember it being a DOS game specifically. I believe there was an interpreter program you had to install and then separate game files which could be loaded from within the interpreter. The website for the games described the interpreter as being a rather heavy and clunky “thing”, or words to that effect. It was so long ago now that I remember any more details, but I enjoyed the first chapter and it has stuck in my mind ever since.

2 Likes

ah ok, probably it was Win 98 then, nop MS-DOS. It was just for trying to narrow the thing and ask to someone of the MS-DOS retro community.

3 Likes

Very likely Windows 98 or Windows NT, yes. I appreciate your help, thank you!

3 Likes