Line Break Problem

I have a situation where sometimes I get a line break and sometimes I don’t, and I can’t figure out how to fix it.

If I write the following code:

Check opening storage door:
	if the player is not carrying the security card:
		say "The door won't open without a security card." instead.

Before opening the storage door when the player carries the security card:
	say "(inserting your security card into the slot)".

Instead of inserting the security card into the slot:
	try opening the storage door.

it mostly works correctly. If I OPEN STORAGE DOOR or PUT CARD IN SLOT, it displays:

(inserting your security card into the slot)
You open the storage door.

>

The problem is if I just enter the room when the door is closed, in which case it displays:

(first opening the storage door)
(inserting your security card into the slot)
Storage Room
The Storage Room is filled with bins containing electronic components. There is a door to the east.

>

It really looks ugly without a line break before the room name.

I’ve tried everything I can think of to add a line break in that situation, but nothing works.

If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it!

Cheers,
C. Scott Davis

2 Likes

You’ll want a [command clarification break] after a message like that (i.e. a command clarification).

2 Likes

Much much thanks!

I had actually tried using [line break], [paragraph break], and [command clarification break], and none of them worked, but I was trying to do it only when the current action was going west, because I was trying to avoid getting an extra line feed when just opening the door. Clearly I didn’t understand how [command clarification break] works, because it does exactly what I wanted it to do, when used after the message. Thanks again!

Cheers,
Scott

1 Like